Horse hair brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by fishcrow, Jan 13, 2012.

1. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

There seems to be a great deal of buzz about horse hair of late. Vie Long, is most used manufacturer of horse hair brushes.

For those that have been using them what are your impressions of the brush, how it lathers, how it feels. I have read that they are big shredders what is your experience with this issue.

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I have 4 Vie Longs I don't have any shedding issues with them at all, surprising that others do. I am okay with HH they do seem like the brush between badger and boar . On 2 of them the bristles have become a bit wild , what I mean is they look like knots with a bad hair day but you can brush them back into place . Probably the most knowledgeable vendor is Juan of Gifts and Care, he is based in Valencia and seems to have regular contact with and knowledge of Vie Long. Also his website will show you the various mixes of horse hair, tail, mane, processed or natural or horse hair mixed with badger or boar .

3. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

you can also customize lofts and tail and mane mixture on vie long brushes with juan at gifts and care , great vendor

4. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

+1 to horsehair brushes. My current 'home brush' is Vie-Long Sardinero (I believe that's the right name). I trade it more then 2 years ago.

5. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I like the Vie-Long brushes very much. However I have found that the knots need to be teased out occasionally. The knots on my brushes have become very dense over time

6. newb

newb Resident Newb

I'm a big horse hair fan. I've never had a Vie Long shed. I find most horsehair brushes a little on the scrubby side making them an excellent face latherer. I prefer the natural brown hair from Vie Long. I also enjoy Bestshave's HH , but the QC can make it a hit or miss product.