Hot Towel is Crucial....

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by TraderJoe, Feb 5, 2007.

?

When do you use hot towels?

1. Before EVERY Shave

21.4%
  2. Only on the weekend

1.8%
  3. When Time Permits

16.1%
  4. Never - I have burlap skin and don't need to soften whiskers

30.4%
  5. Sometimes

30.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I always shower before shave. The times I didn't, I just thoroughly washed my face. Only had towel I've ever had was before a shave in the barbers chair.

2. Baron

Baron New Member

Well I tried shower before shave today instead of the usual just go ahead and shave...

worst shave in two months. I haven't nicked myself this much... well... ever.

I'll give it another couple go 'rounds and see if anything changes

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" :D

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

NICE Joe !!
    BTW.....how ya enjoying the "Lake effect" ??
    -20 by now, isnt it ?

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

:cool: It ain't too bad....but it IS cold outside. :)

6. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I hear ya...
    itsa bout 70 here right now. :D
    Hoping to make a trip back to see you soon.
    I love Chicago !!

7. Baron

Baron New Member

yeah yeah I know :D

The shower always felt great after shaving too... something about washing my face when it's smooth is nice, and if I ever did actually get nicks they'd close up by the end of the shower anyway.

of course there's always... "If it ain't broke, you haven't messed with it enough"

8. Will

Will Nevermind

Its OK he has a scarf covered in JD :D

Hey! That is an idea put a little splash of your favorite beverage in the hot towel for flavor :D

9. fuerein

fuerein New Member

I tried it once, but the only towls I have are either hand towels which are too small, to wrap them around my face I'd need to either lie down or hold them in place by hand, or regular bath towels, far too large. As such I normally only use the shower as the softening agent, well that and splashing hot water on my face every couple minutes while I get everything arranged at the sink.

10. berzerkeleyan

berzerkeleyan New Member

99% of the time it's:
    1. Hot shower
    2. Hot towel
    3. Shave
    That order has been working really well for me for about three months.

11. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Exactly, this is my ideal procedure too....running late in the AM means cutting out the hot towel....and even sometimes the shave :sad024:sad023

12. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

I love it on the airplanes when they hand out the hot towels after a meal.. I can't imagine being able to spend 3 minutes in the morning with one, every morning.. it sounds like heaven.

How do you guys heat up your towel? Do you toss it in the microwave or is there a hot towel machine for the bathroom just for this?

13. Wecktwonicwhizzer

Wecktwonicwhizzer New Member

The hot towel performs a two-fold function in my morning shave. First it tends to soften my whiskers, especially around the moustache. Second, it elevates the pleasure level of the shave to an even higher plateau. Three minutes with that warm flannel, ah! Love it.

14. Wecktwonicwhizzer

Wecktwonicwhizzer New Member

I have forsaken tradition and use the microwave. I boil water and heat my moistened towel at the same time. That way while I am sanitizing my razor, I can also gently steam the visage.:happy069

15. Baron

Baron New Member

After my one day of shower before shave I've gone back to shave before shower, although I've started using a preshave oil, which has been very nice, although I can't wait to see what Joe has come up with :)

16. berzerkeleyan

berzerkeleyan New Member

I let it soak in very hot tap water.

17. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Same here...I throw it into the sink folded up and run the hot water over it.

18. Smedley

Smedley New Member

This is my routine as well. And it's been working quite well, so I don't think I'll experiment with shower only. Unless someone starts handing out fat DE research grants.

19. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

A hot towel treatment definately provides a truly luxurious shave. That being said, I don't use one very often. Two reason: Time and I'm lazy about it.

But if you have the time and inclination, I highly recommend the treatment.

Chuck F likes this.
  20. Magruder

Magruder New Member

For the first thirty years or so of shaving I never even tried a hot towel. I figured that splashing hot water on my face did the same thing as a hot towel.

Gave it a try a couple of months ago, and I was amazed at what a dramatic difference it made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.