How adventurous are you with food

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by txskimo, Jul 25, 2015.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I've eaten them crawling as well.. Ant larvae salad in Isaan (northeast Thailand) [​IMG]

mrchick likes this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Guess I've never been that hungry. I never say never, but for now at least, Pass.

BamaT likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

But I bet you eat ground pig assholes. Funny thing about cultural bias :). People don't eat things that might be strange to you because they are starving.. Just a different culture. I've had great fun sharing that with people and have almost always enjoyed the food. It all beats canned zucchini.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    mrchick likes this.
  4. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Eat pretty much anything. Fried ant eggs in Mexico was probably the strangest. Tastes good. Reminds me of bacon flavor.

mrchick likes this.
  5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It isn't that it might be strange, or even, in this case, unappetizing, I just draw my own personal line at "still crawling around". I love fish too, but I don't eat them while they are still flopping.

BamaT likes this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Hey that's more for the rest of us :) Japanese slice up live fish (who do keep flopping) ... Vietnamese eat beating snake hearts (been there done that)... In the case of ant larvae the moving ones are escapees.. They're not supposed to be crawling around.. But you get a few. Ants (dead ones) have a vinegar like flavor and when combined with goat meat it's particularly good.

BamaT likes this.
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My philosophy is if the locals are eating it and not dropping dead, I'll try it. I've had some really good mystery meals on the streets.

BamaT and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Usually the safest food, especially in the third world where electricity and therefore refrigeration is dodgy.

9. mrchick

I agree. It's usually pretty danged tasty too.

BamaT and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I've read somewhere that goat is the most consumed meat in the world. That may need verifying.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Oaxacan grasshoppers are good though I'm generally a cricket man.

12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

That looks outstanding! Aren't we 8th cousins or something? I'll have to make the next family reunion!

mrchick likes this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Another goaty favorite.. In northern Vietnam goat blood and goat testicle wine accompany a really delicious goat hot pot or my favorite, barbecued goat you wrap in rice paper with veg and herbs.

BamaT likes this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Looks like your Bún Bò Hue is missing congealed pigs blood so not full adventurous points, but good stuff indeed.

[​IMG]

Blood is also an important feature of Thai Boat Noodle soup, which is fabulous stuff. Blood is usually absent in US versions but always there in Thailand. Some of the best eating on the planet is in Bangkok shopping mall food courts.
    [​IMG]

15. mrchick

There was a big chunk in this bowl. I either ate it before the pic or it was buried in the bowl.
    Another blood related dish that I like a lot is Dinuguan from the Philippines. It's great with a bowl of rice and some hot sauce.

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Good man!

mrchick likes this.