How did you find us?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by swarden43, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Lindy

Lindy New Member

I heard about The Den on another shaving forum and so here I am. Still getting my feet wet. Have only been using a DE since November or October, I forget, and wet shaving with a brush for almost 2 years.

2. hornm

hornm New Member

All sorts of things come up when you search for "straight razor" in any of the search engines. Just sort of went through and figured out what sites I wanted to be part of from the list of forums. Granted there's one or two I could have skipped on but nobody is forcing me to post on those so....

Michael

3. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Wellll .... Let's see ...

I came home from work one day and there were a couple of packages here for Jeff ... a few days later three or four more packages. He had been talking about "wet shaving" and I told him "I shave with water everyday, what's the difference?".

Apparently ... A LOT!!

Pretty soon; razors, creams, soaps, brushes, blades, and AS supplies started arriving by the truckload. I thought, "I need to get in on this racket if it means I get to buy stuff all the time! :D"

THEN .. Jeff kept telling about this forum and suggested that I join .. then he asked that I join ... then he outright begged me to join. I made my first post ... and as they say Folks ... The Rest Is History. ;):D;)

4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Ok everyone, while we are always grateful that you decided to join TSD, one thing we mustn't stoop to and we the mod team will not allow, is cross forum bashing and name calling.

Regrettably I've had to remove several posts from this thread.

Like I've said before, feel free to join in the discussion, but please leave the baggage with the other forums at the front steps, don't bring them inside.

5. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

[​IMG]

6. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Keep us posted, please. I didn't realize he lived in that area.

7. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

My wife used to shave with only water. I've graduated her to shaving with her body wash...and if I happen to be in the bathroom shaving while she is taking a shower, she's happy to have me whip up some lather for her. But she has yet to branch out into her own product and interest yet. Someday.....someday....she just doesn't care.

She points out how much of a nicer/smoother shave she gets when she uses proper products and techniques, but never takes that into consideration next time she shaves. For the moment it's great, but that's about as far as it goes

8. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I think I joined TSD something like 3 years ago. Here's my shaky and probably inaccurate memory of how I got here:

I grew a beard post Katrina. I grew it for a good year. I was starting to look like an eastern Orthodox priest or an Orthodox rabbinical student. So I decided to shave. I lost my electric in Katrina. I went out and priced carts and freaked out. I saw ten packs of DE blades for a very reasonable price, so I thought I'd use a search engine and see if I could find the 'handle' for one.

Long story short, I ordered stuff from classic shaving. A year after that I stumbled into this board. I'm not sure how. I was just another lurker/ occasional poster until I stumbled (I do a lot of that) into the How's Your Day thread and interacted with the infamous RollsShaver.

I didn't visit any other boards. This was my first and last shaving board. I must say, it's awesome. :D

9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

My dad, Southernscribbler turned me onto traditional shaving and The Den.

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

As many of you are aware, I am a member of two forums. Some of you are more familiar with me from the other forum.

The reason why I joined this one was due to some of the A/S, Cologne and soaps that are offered in the store on this site.

I think that it is good to see what is going on in more than one forum in order find out a variety of perspectives. What may be a hot item or thought in one, may not be in another and vice versa.

It is all about choices and options, which is what I enjoy about wet shaving.

11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

+1. Pretty much the same thing that sent me from there off on the hunt for another forum. Found TSD via Google and while I do participate at SMF and the new Pogonotomy forum, TSD is my home.

12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I was invited here by a dear friend of mine in Europe. I also remembered Bobby from B&B.

Guys, please--let us not attack any other forums. I know we do not agree with some of the administrators from other groups, but we must to be diplomatic and nice. :)

13. cyb

cyb Member

I was googling "Master Topaz," which is the aftershave my barber uses on my neck. That led me to a thorough TSD discussion about barbershop smell aftershaves. I was immediately addicted to this place. I had no idea people were using old implements like DE and straights. Now, here I am a few months later, and I am a vintage shaving fanatic with bowls, mugs, brushes, creams, blades and razors. My first old straight-razor arrived yesterday and it is awesome. I probably need professional help for my new acquisition disorder, but honestly, I don't want it.:D

14. DonR

DonR Active Member

I had come into possession of my Grandfathers silver plated monogrammed shave mug. My guess was, this was from to 20's or 30's, so I started doing some research on the internet. Anytime the word shave is typed into a Google search ya get all kinds of hits. I started stumbling through the different links, and came across all the usual sites. It is during that time I came across the Shave Den. I lurked for awhile then joined. As a result, that shave mug no longer is stored away, I made it the centerpiece of my shave den. I keep it full of VDH soap and use it regularly. Each time I use it I toast the memories of it's shaving past.:eatdrink004

15. Oscar

Oscar Member

I googled Arko Shave Soap and came across the review section. Decided to check out what else was here and I was all over the place before I knew it.

16. RB73

RB73 New Member

A link from The Shaving Room, but I’m more of a voyeur than poster at the mo.

17. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

I was searching for DE blades when my local stores stopped carrying them.
    I remember being amazed at the number of people that used a DE razor.
    Also blown away by the options available for new DE purchases online.

I definitely thought I was the last guy in the world using a DE...
    All alone with my 1989 Gillette Slim Twist

18. sas71

sas71 Member

i had bought a conair hot lather maching and it worked for a little while then i started getting what looked like mold in my lather so i decided id had enough id just go back to elec. razors. i figured that there was a forum for everything id find one for shaving and see what was the best thing going in electrics. i typed in shaving forum and the rest is history.

19. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Was a big time participant at B&B when I first got back into wetshaving. Did visit TSD and SMF some but not that much. Found all of them through Google.

Moved away from B&B due to their higher than mighty attitude and the site politics. Now frequent TSD and SMF on a regular basis. Found that I can garner a lot of knowledge from these two boards.

And TSD has the added benefit of its own e-store that makes great shaving products available to me and my fellow wetshavers at reasonable prices.

20. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

I wanna say TSD was mentioned in one of Mantic's Youtube videos and ended up here that way.