How did you find us?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by swarden43, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Exactly the same :)

2. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Michelle from Mystic Water mentioned TSD and another forum. The other one seemed so normal, like really something my father would like. TSD seemed a little off kilter if you know what I mean (maybe a lot off kilter). Anyway I knew I belonged here.

Dave

3. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

I found TSD as a side effect while researching DE & Straight Razor shaving, tools, techniques, and tutorials.

Badger & Blade pops up in Google, but when you go to their forum on an iDevice it prompts you to install Tapatalk. I installed and while it didn't bring up B&B, when I searched for shaving in the app TSD was the first result!

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Not to promote other sites - BUT you can get TSD, ShaveNook and B&B through Tapatalk :)

5. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I was googling info on wet shaving, trying to decide if it was something I wanted to get into. I kept finding threads from TSD and B&B, so I began creeping on both. Originally I just like the format better here, but then I began to notice how nice and helpful the member were here at TSD. That is when I decided to become a member, and I am very happy I did!

6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I had long been unhappy with paying $3 or $4 per cartridge for a 5 bladed Schick Hydro something. After about a week of decent shaves, I would grit my teeth and continue using the same cartridge for another week or so, because the cartridges cost so much. I also couldn't find a can of shave cream or gel that I really liked, and I would get bumps along my neckline. I had to make 2 passes with the 5 bladed razor with a little touch-up. When I would nick myself, it wouldn't be a tiny spot, there would sometimes be 5 little cuts.

One day as I was reading one of my favorite gun forums, I saw a post "what bullet is in your brush?" The poster had been restoring a shaving brush and it wasn't heavy enough to suit him so he drilled out the handle a little from the top, and inserted a cast bullet to add weight. The thread continued to talk about brushes, then soaps, then double edge razors, and how inexpensively you could shave. I thought, man these folks are crazy, they'll cut their face off! But my interest had been been piqued.

I remembered an ill fated attempt at using a shaving brush sometime in the 70's, an Ever-Ready C40. With my curiosity now in full gear after reading about bullets in brushes, I began to do Internet research, and began to discover some of the forums. I eventually realized that TSD had a family like, friendly atmosphere, where people could ask questions and get good advice. And so, after a short period of lurking, I joined TSD. My wife gave me an EJ 8911 for Christmas. I approached that first shave with tremendous fear and trepidation. After a very careful shave, much to my delight, my face was intact! Well there were a couple weepers that day!

Bristle Me, KLF and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. Tvern13

Tvern13 Member

I was getting sticker shock from buying cartridges and my neck irritation was getting worse. Started looking around for something better. I never do anything without endless research (drives my wife crazy). I was already looking at DE razors and then the Pawn Stars commercials showing a DE razor started. All the googling eventually led me here for information so here I am.

BamaT likes this.
  8. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

My last shave with one of those $0.69 Wal-Mart disposable wonders and Ivory hand soap finally made me stop and think seriously about shaving. Frankly, shaving was painful.
    I found Mantic on YouTube, and his beginner videos convinced me that wet shaving had to be the way to go.
    I did a search for "wet shaving supplies" and found my way to Jarrod's website, The Superior Shave.
    The large, hi-res photos and straightforward descriptions sealed the deal for me, I was in.
    His recommendations for newb wet shavers section urged joining a shaving forum.
    I lurked about for a bit and this site seemed to suit me best, so I joined.
    I guess you could say that Mantic set me on the correct heading, and Jarrod untied me from the dock and gave me a push.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    BamaT likes this.
  9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I was brought in here by several friends.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

... and you stayed for the menthol parties! :D

richgem and crackstar like this.
  11. crackstar

Yes sir! ;)

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Jeff, I think the phrase you were looking for is, "My friends staged an intervention." :D ;)

GDCarrington and crackstar like this.
  13. crackstar

Oh? How do you mean? :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Your menthol, um.... addiction... wasn't being fulfilled properly. :D

GDCarrington and crackstar like this.
  15. crackstar

Well, it's like this.............(and like that!) :rofl:

GDCarrington and richgem like this.
  16. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

Right - It was just interesting that the path Tapatalk leads you down isn't the way one would expect. I'd expect download the app then a web link would deep link you into the app. Instead it made me search - which led me to find TSD which has a more "open" vibe as a community.

17. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

As I was getting into wet shaving, I started obsessively researching, including reading through old threads on various forums. I joined several and mostly lurked, but the new member raffle, with its minimum post requirement, got me off the fence and actually posting here.

18. TheGiant

TheGiant New Member

Random google search I think I was searching for info on reknotting out of curiosity. Don't really need to yet my brushes are new.

19. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

A friend from another shave forum. He spoke highly of the place.

20. blk05crew

blk05crew Well-Known Member

Searching Google for info on a Rolls Razor I got off of CL.