How do I know when I'm ready to grow a stache?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Galactus, May 19, 2012.

1. Galactus

Galactus Member

Yeah, I'm aware of the humiliating growth period. BUT, going through all that I'd pointless if the result is just as embarrassing. I am only 18 and have seen many other people my age try to grow moustaches, nothing very convincing. I am probably too young to grow a convincing one myself at this moment in time.

But, age aside, at what point do you know when your face is ready to grow a decent moustache? I'm sure the stubble will give some kind of indication. Any idea? I can grow a mighty fine beard, but I don't really care about that and with the beard you don't need to worry too much about whether it's right or not since the growth period isn't quite as humiliating.

Put simply: it's difficult early on to tell from my stubble whether it'll grow into a chocolate milk stain or a Magnum PI. So I'm counting on you guys who are more experienced with whiskers and such to have a better idea than I do.

Mechguy likes this.
  2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I couldn't grow a decent one until I was around 23 or so. Some of the younger guys at work who really want one...actually use the Just For Men and darken theirs.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Busting a gut on this one. Reminds me of some boy band back in the day that reportedly used eyeliner and mascara to fill in their patchey (and sketchy) designs. I guess it's always an option... providing you don't let anyone get within 20 feet of you.

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Actually the just for men dye isn't really noticeable at all. I've considered using it when I had my moustache just because it's starting to go grey already :/ But screw it. I'll take the grey gracefully.

burnout961 likes this.
  5. Galactus

Galactus Member

Nothing wrong with grey! It's a sign of wisdom ;)

burnout961 likes this.
  6. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

When you can grow hair on your upper lip that doesn't look bad.
    In my opinion, don't do it if it comes in very patchy. Looks awful and in 10 years there will be all those sad pictures your friends will pull out.
    I could always grow a mustache after the age of 18, but I could never grow a decent beard. Try as I might, it was always patchy in a few spots.
    I finally gave up on the beard, now I cant grow one due to work requirements.

The age is different for everyone, give it a shot, if it doesn't work, shave it and move on.
    Give it another try in a year or two, not everyone can look as cool as Tom Sellek.

Galactus likes this.
  7. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

When you get to the point that you have to shave every day or look scruffy (unless scruffy is the look you want - seems so popular now days) then you may be ready to grow a 'stache. Don't embarrass yourself by growing a peach fuzz one before that time!

Your desired look is Studly; if it isn't real bristle yet it achieves the opposite effect! However, a well groomed and cleanly shaven man is always potentially Studly - especially if he is in shape, ignores current cultural trends and proves his manhood by harnessing his strength for the benefit of others, takes some pride in his appearance, and takes responsibility for his own actions. Go forth and be Studly, Mr. Galactus! :happy088:

8. Galactus

Galactus Member

One thing I was thinking....maybe, just maybe, the bald patch under my chin is linked with my moustache growing ability. Maybe once that grows out fully I'll be able to grow a moustache.

jeraldgordon and Mechguy like this.
  9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Galactus likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Or these guys...

The Handlebar Club

I like Jeraldgordon's answer...

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Gee.. I didn't know about those guys..:eek:

12. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

This. Remember at all times. I didn't know this back when. And now I have pictures to prove my ignorance.

DON'T BE LIKE ME!!! :)

13. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Nice, luckily for me digital camera's weren't around when I was attempting to sport a beard.
    Now with a camera in every phone it can really come back to haunt you.

burnout961 and NoobShaver like this.
  14. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I was around 18,19 when I grew my stache. It wasn't much more than thick fuzz, but I trimmed it and groomed it as if it was full fledged. After a while, it began to thicken and filled in nicely. Keep in mind, I am, or was then, a red head and facial hair would only become noticeable if the sun light hit it just right. I agree with the fact that if it grows in patchy, then you may want to wait and see if it will ever grow in completely. If it does grow in evenly, then let it grow and groom it as if it were thick and lush. Just MHO.

otherstar and burnout961 like this.
  15. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

:signs011:Except for the red head part, I've got dark hair. My high school pics are kinda sad with the dirty upper lip look, but I was proud of it:D and I've had one ever since except for a couple of times I had to shave it for work(and getting carried away trimming, you know that side is a little shorter better trim this side to match...CRAP now this is too short maybe if I trim that side just a little... Bet you can guess how that turned out:happy097:)

16. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I have light brown hair on my head (well, what's left anyway), a reddish brown beard that is orange in the right light (though probably turning white by now), and a light blond mustache. I've worn my mustache for the better part of 20 years even though it's not very visible because of the light color but that is changing now because it's turning white (not grey, white!). I say, if you can grow a mustache that isn't patchy and want to grow one, grow it!

17. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Moustaches should be illegal for under....40s. Why? Cos otherwise you get people looking like this:

[​IMG]

18. Galactus

Galactus Member

Y'see, I actually think that looks pretty cool. Maybe a little too whispy a moustache, but the actual moustache'd look is a good look.

19. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

He has a very boyish face though which is why I think it looks a bit daft. Chuck Norris on the other hand...

[​IMG]

20. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

It's 1970. You're in the Army in Texas in the middle of the Summer with no air conditioning and your Sargent says you can't have one. Oh Well!
    And it hasn't come off since.

Matt F and swarden43 like this.