How do you like your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Oscar, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Wyowanderer

Wyowanderer New Member

Folgers/Maxwell/whatever is on sale;
    Brewed in an old Corelle percolator on the stove.
    You've got to watch it so it doesn't boil over, but it's my favorite way.
    If it wasn't so late, I'd be making a pot right now.:D

2. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

+1

Nothing compares to home roast. I use a Technivorm Moccamaster for brewing. I am a bit of a coffee snob.

3. riffin

riffin Active Member

Sam's Club Member's Mark: French Roast or Breakfast Blend. I've been leaning towards the medium roasts these days.

Cold brew just ROCKS! I got a 1 gallon mixing bowl/measuring cup at Target, pour in 17-18 oz of drip grind, add cold water untill about 1/2 inch froim the rim. Let it brew for 12-ish hours, then filter it into a decantar. It keeps in the fridge for weeks. Really...use drip grind or coaser. Otherwise it plugs the filter. Bad.

Second place is tied between Aero Press and vacuum brew.

- Tere

4. helowrench

helowrench Member

I have come to love that stuff too, always looking for the Columbian, as it apparently is either in short supply, or sells out fast.

Someone knows their brewing methods, both classic and modern. Outstanding.
    Then you probably know how much I enjoy coffee from the ibrik, but just not that last sip.......

5. riffin

riffin Active Member

Check out JustCoffee.coop. The Ugandan Blend and WTF Blend are amazing! I have a feeling ALL of there blends are great, just different. A complete aside, if you haven't, check out the WTF podcast with Marc Marion.

Ha! I've eying those pots on CoffeeGeek and Amazon. I also like the hand grinders.

And about that last sip: In process of trying to get every last drop from my cold brew, I separated out a super fine grind sledge from the rest of the grinds. It's so fine, it's almost like a lotion or cream. I dipped my finger in, tasted it and was surprised to find it was very smooth, not bitter, and not super strong. I'm sure this is what is clogging the filter.

I poured off a couple of cups into a mason jar a stored it in the 'fridge. A few days later, I shook it up, mixed it 1:1 with water and made a fine cup of coffee. There was an even thicker paste at the bottom of the jar. I plan to pour that into my next batch of brownies or cookies. My guess is that this stuff is so smooth because its cold brewed. The sledge from a Turkish coffee is probably a bit more bitter.

- Tere

6. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

I started my coffee adventures with Americano's but have started to enjoy a simple medium roast black coffee. Nothing fancy for me yet I'm still learning the fine art of a cup of coffee.

7. helowrench

helowrench Member

That is so much of an understatement.

8. helowrench

helowrench Member

honestly, purchase a french press, Bodum is a quality brand, (Starbucks slaps their own logo on Bodum presses and charges 15-25% more), and a burr grinder.
    find a local market like Central Market or Whole Foods that carries whole bean coffees in bulk. Purchase a slew of different coffees in 1/4lb increments.
    Then experiment.
    Find your brew strength and acidity level preferences.

enjoy

Rob

9. jkingrph

jkingrph Member

We have been drinking a bit of Community Club lately and enjoying it.

10. ALLEN

ALLEN New Member

Like my coffee black..folgers or community cajun chickory:cool:.Allen

11. helowrench

helowrench Member

Community "Cafe Special" which was formerly known as "in-between roast" is one of my go to blends when I have to go to the grocery store for coffee.

good flavor, exceptional price.

the other low budget coffee I like is Yuban, both regular and dark roast.
    Hills Brothers is surprisingly good, was much better when it was still owned by the brothers, before Coca Cola bought them, but still fairly good now.

12. Weekends at home it's 8 O'clock home ground - black. Every morning at work it's a triple expresso with a half pack of sweetner. Green tea after lunch then start over the next morn..... :think001

13. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

I too am an Intelligentsia coffee drinker. There is an Intelligentsia by my office, and I must say their espresso and drip coffees are excellent. I have not tried to make the Black Cat espresso at home as of yet, but now that you mention it, I will buy a pound and make it at home in my Bialetti Stove Top espresso maker!!!

Thanks for a great idea!

WW

14. excalibur5

excalibur5 Member

Generally I prefer medium-dark, freshly ground beans. For a crowd I use my Bunn, which works well, but my favorite BY FAR is my Aerobie Aeropress. Best, smoothest coffee you can make, and the press unit itsself is nearly indestructible, making it perfect in our camper.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047BIWSK/?tag=thshde-20

FYI this is a modified french press type unit.

15. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Bought a bag of seattles best roast level 4 tonight. It smells very robust and rich. Gonna give it a whirl at 7 AM.

16. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Oh wow... I wish I could make myself spend that kind of money.
    Those things are supposed to brew great coffee. :eek:

17. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I was feeling sort of crummy today. Had a cup of strong coffee and added a scoop of hot chocolate powder. I know its horrible and i wouldn't normally do it, but today i have to say it was amazing.

I was thinking of buying a espresso machine, a friend of the families have one and it is just incredible the only issue is that they are nearly all $1000+.

18. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Loved it.:D

19. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

Kind of sad or kind of funny but four years ago I was drinking around five pots of coffee a day. I cut myself back due to pre hyper tension and now drink two big cups a day. I am not real fussy as long as it's strong. Doug

20. tobester76

tobester76 New Member

Carluccio's Napoli Roast Espresso Beans. Ground fine in my Dualit Burr-Grinder then lightly tamped into a chilled porta-filter basket and slotted into my De Longhi Espresso Machine. Delivers a shot of rich, fruity and extremely intense Espresso which is great on it's own (or as an accompaniment to a glass of Armagnac) and as a base for a truly satisfying Cappucino...