How do you like your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Oscar, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well, seeing that this thread has been bumped and I totally missed it in February...

I am not to the point of roasting own beans yet. But I hope to start that soon enough.

Beans ground right before use in a Hario Skelton mini-mill. Coffee then made in a aeropress using the inverted method. After pressing I add more water to get to Americano, and that is it. No sugar, milk, cream, etc... just plain black coffee.

Asd and swarden43 like this.
  2. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! I have had a number of coffees over the last 40+ years. I grind my on when I buy certain coffees on the internet. I usually drink mine black with nothing added. However, with dark roast coffees I usually add a little cream and sugar. One of the best coffees I had once was Kona from Hawaii. There are many, many coffees out there to try and I am always ready to try them. Always, Gene

3. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

I prefer the dark roasts, and I like them black.
    This is the only argument I have actually won with my wife.

swarden43 likes this.
  4. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

How do you roast coffee? And where do you buy the beans?

5. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

I thoroughly enjoy Dunkin Donuts Coffee. I also enjoy a German coffee that I have only seen at Eglin AFB Commissary called JaKobs.

I love my coffee smooth tasting, but I have to have it strong. About 2 scoops per cup.

A little bit of cream and a little bit of honey. A friend of mine is a bee keeper, so I get the real deal ;).

Smooth, medium roast is my favorite, but I do enjoy the Bold and Black coffees from Starbucks and Seattles Best. Looking to try organic coffee. Can anyone give me a review over any organic coffee? Does it taste better than the regular stuff?

From time to time, I do enjoy different flavored creams (if I do this, no honey) such as Caramel or Creme Brulee.

alpla444 likes this.
  6. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

You know, I don't often drink Coffee, but when I do........it's an iced vanilla cappuccino from a coffee shop other than Starbucks.........

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

B
    Good coffee, that JaKobs. I'm not far from McGuire AFB. They'll carry the JaKobs or other German brands, what ever whim they decide to get on for their next stock up.

As for roasting, if you can pop popcorn on the stove, you can roast coffee. It really is that simple. In fact, that's how I do it. I use a Back To Basics stove top popcorn popper. As for buying my beans, I usually get them at Sweet Maria's. They were out of Kenya, my favorite, so I purchased from The Coffee Bean Corral. Takes 40-45 minutes, start to finish, to roast up a pound - from medium roast all the way up to charcoal, however you want it. That'll last me a week, then I roast another pound. I always have fresh coffee! And I buy 10 lbs at a time; even with shipping I can get away with about $8, give or take, per pound.

Sweet Maria's has a TON of info on coffee - how to buy, how to roast, how to store, info on all the different growing locations.
    Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions

Asd likes this.
  8. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

I like light and very dark roasts and all that lies between. I only drink Arabica beans and while I love many options by Trader Joe's, Pete's and Le Colombe, I try and seek out exceptional local and regional coffee roasters. Right now I'm really enjoying Joey's Java House in Lancaster, PA. (good cigars too!)

I brew with either an 8 cup Chemex or Bodum French press, but a couple times a week I pull out my Ikea stainless mocha pot which is a great little brewer!

I always grind my beans about a minute or less before the hot water hits a boil in the kettle and select my grind according to my method - I use a burr grinder by the way.

I usually drink it with a touch of H&H or black. When brewing espresso with the mocha pot, I usually drink it black or make a cappuccino with one of those little electric wands and a mixture of heated 1% milk and H&H. Never, however, will sugar find it's way to my cup!

The downside to all of this, is that most coffee prepared in coffee shops and restaurants has become a lackluster, an outright disappointment or even undrinkable by comparison. If all I can get to satisfy my caffeine needs is Sheets and Mickey D's, I will often opt for Excedrin and Coke. :eatdrink013:

9. Destutt de tracy

Destutt de tracy New Member

Espresso..no milk and sugar added.

10. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

I've never acquired a taste for coffee, and I don't really like the smell of it either. When I was a child, my parents were both tea drinkers at home. I think my dad may have had the occasional coffee at work, but it was never in the house. When my parents retired, they spent a year in Arizona (we're Canadian), and my mother decreed that the Americans had no clue about how to make decent tea, but they did know how to make good coffee, and so they both became coffee converts. Like many religious converts (and wet shaving converts), they embraced the coffee lifestyle to the fullest, and bought roast-a-lators, drip-a-lators, perk-a-lators, espress-a-lators...... the whole nine yards. They could have opened a cafe at home. Mercifully, I moved out of the house long before this lifestyle change of theirs.

Fastforward..... my wife is a "tea granny" and I enjoy spicy Indian Masala Chai tea.... but no coffee... however, to help put herself through university, our daughter became a barista at Starbucks!!

11. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

I am going to have to try roasting my own coffee. Man...I'm learning a lot since I switched to wet shaving and found out about this site!:bounce015:

12. Adama

Adama Member

I like Theology Coffee: black as sin, hot as hell, and strong as the devil.

13. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

I like my coffee like I like my women.... HOT BLONDE AND SWEET!

Asd likes this.
  14. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

HAHA!

15. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

Now Folgers got it right when they made Black Silk. Dark and smooooth.

16. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

I drink coffee constantly. I usually drink Wegman's French Roast, which is surprisingly smooth for canned stuff; but when I can find it, I love Eight O'Clock Bokar. It's like drinking velvet.

A little creamer, and I'm happy.

17. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

Hello Thread Resurrection! Tis the newest coffee thread I've found though.

I enjoy a good medium roast, black, with lots of flavor. Used to be a fan of dark roast when I used a Cuisinart Grind and Brew, but lately (last 3 months or so) I have been refining my home barista skills (or lack thereof :p) and learning the art of a proper pour over. The Cuisinart has been in the cupboard and has seen no use in a while.

Brewing vessel is: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XOUKL2/?tag=thshde-20
    With a #2 Melita bamboo filter.
    It all sits on a stand that I made for it so its not right on the top of the mug.

Media as of late: Fratello Nicaraguan Los Placeres Estate: http://www.fratellocoffee.com/frate...ngle-estate-direct-trade-rainforest-alliance/

Grinder: Bodum Bistro (Black) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043095WW/?tag=thshde-20
    Bang for buck, this is a heck of a grinder. It has a great consistency of grind, comes with a glass canister for minimized static cling, and it really doesn't break the bank. It also does espresso finer than required for my Breville. If you're in the market for a grinder, check this one out.

Water temp I am not exact with, though it is usually about 1 minute off boil with the kettle top open.

Ratio is 25g/Travel mug, I forget how many G/L that is, though it would be easy to figure out, as I use the same amount of water every day.

I would like to learn to roast my own beans sometime though, I think it would be a good time.

18. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I won't go in to a long coffee drinking history other than to say I've done it all. Now being on fixed income and spending my extra cash on shaving goodies, we drink Hills Brothers Original Blend Coffee. Buy it at Sam's in a large can. Brew it in a BUNN coffee maker. We/I drink a lot of coffee in our home. During the winter months it's nothing to drink at a minimum 8 pots of coffee and on a good day, 12 pots. The BUNN is on from 5AM until at least 12 midnight. I use just a touch of half & half in my coffee.

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Folgers Gourmet Supreme, '50s G.E. percolator, heavy cream, in an old Fire King coffee mug.

When I have to have instant, I really, really like the taste of Kava.

No powdered "creamers," can't stand 'em.

Wife likes that hazelnut syrup crap. Gah.

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You sound a lot like my folks - they swear by their Bunn and have replaced it at least once that I know of.