How do you like your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Oscar, Dec 31, 2010.

1. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

But... if its a lighter roast... wouldn't you be drinking it brown??? Just wondering...! If it doesn't taste smoky, it isn't roasted enough! Still green... but, I am from coffee country, and may be slightly prejudiced!

swarden43 likes this.
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Well washed.

jmaier, Primotenore and jeraldgordon like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Harris Teeter started a 4 day sale today, Peet's bags 3 for $15 with store card. Stocking up.

4. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Ah, coffee...the source of all that is, was, and ever shall be. But, I digress...

How do I like my coffee? Depends on how I brew it. I currently have 36 different brewing devices for pour over, percolator, dripolator, auto-drip, infusion, and moka/stove top "espresso". From a 36-cup Faber urn (sadly, no basket/pump, so it's a display) to a single cup Vietnamese. From a 100 year old WearEver "Ideal" to a year-old AeroPress. Also, two Zassenhaus mills and a Hario Skerton (modded, of course). My daily driver, though, is a 10-year-old Braun KF-12 4-cup auto-drip & gold mesh permanent filter. My favorite brew is a medium-fine grind from the whole bean Italian roast I get from Sprout's. My favorite brewer is a vintage '40s Silex "Two Cupper" (although I have to use #2 paper basket filters, since the original cloth filters are next to impossible to find). I used to roast my own (in a Poppery II), but the local roaster/coffeehouse I got my green from started getting all snotty about selling green beans, so I just go to the bulk section of the grocery store.

Oh, as far as the original question...I take mine in a 10-ounce cobalt glass mug with a spoonful of sugar and some French vanilla.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I roast my own, as well. If you're interested in getting back into it, I purchase from Sweet Maria's and Coffee Bean Corral.

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Are you getting just the 3, or going 6 for $30?

7. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Sweet Maria's is my go-to site for anything coffee-related. Loads of good info there.

Since I've got my pic-posting figured out, here's my "2-Cupper"...

[​IMG]

These came out around 1942 as an answer to coffee rationing and alternative to brewing a full pot (and reducing the risk of waste). Basically a simple pour-over, using a cloth filter held in place by a glass spreader. Perfect size for my 10-ounce cobalt glass mug.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Erik Redd and swarden43 like this.
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Coffee is my other hobby. I buy local roasts. Use a plumbed water filter and grind fresh. I change up brewing methods from chemex, press and SCAA auto pour over. Bonavita Coffee Maker with thermal carafe. Switched to glass since I never leave coffee waiting anyway.
    I make a mean Americano with a Moka pot aka stove top espresso.
    http://www.scaa.org/chronicle/2014/...accessibility-in-the-age-of-specialty-coffee/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Erik Redd likes this.
  9. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

10. Bobyluvjr

Bobyluvjr Active Member

I drink Death Wish coffee Black no sugar it is nice and smooth

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Picked up a couple of bags of Gevalia kaffe - will be nice and nostalgic :)

[​IMG]

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Tried a bag of that a while back and it must have been bad, we did not care for it.

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Yes, Sweet Maria's is my home for coffee. Roastmaster.com also not bad. I roast my green beans in a Boehmer. You can do that indoors and roast up to a pound at a time.
    It is easily the best coffee I ever drink-I used to drink Intelligentsia but it was getting $$$$. Most of the green beans are $6-8/lb. I've taken to naturally dried beans
    usually from Ethiopia. I also like Sumatra. I like to try a lot of different kinds-kind of like my soaps, creams, blades, razors.....
    Roast level is completely driven by whatever Sweet Maria's suggests for the particular beans. I use a Bialleti Mocha Maker (stove top "espresso" maker, but it's not
    quite espresso as the pressure doesn't get high enough, a bit pedantic but...). I sometimes use a small amount of sugar and whole whipping cream, but lately
    have gone black.

Jasman likes this.
  14. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Love the moka pot.

15. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

how do i like my coffee? simply ... black, strong, and hot !

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Amen to that.

I did pick up several bags of whole bean coffee from Cost Plus World Market — they had a special half-off; "buy two, get one free" promotion several weeks ago.
    I wound up with about 7 pounds of a variety of coffees for less than $3 a pound. Decent quality, too!
    cost_plus coffee.jpg

Darkbulb likes this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

For some reason I took you for the kind of guy who would be roasting his own beans

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks for the tip on the Behmor...been looking for an in-door roasting solution.
    Now I just need to find a sub-$200 option :)

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have in the past home-roasted 'many-a-pound' of coffee, but I more recently haven't had the time and so opt for the store-bought alternative….
    SafariScreenSnapz618.jpg

Darkbulb likes this.
  20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I use a $35 stovetop popcorn popper. Still in use after 7-8 years. Most of the reviews I've read about the fancy $200+ home roasters say they are only good for about 2 years, then they burn out.