How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. wags

wags New Member

We have a Cuisinart that has lasted us 7 years so far. Seems to be my experience when buying the $10 coffee makers they'd break in just a year or two. I think we got the Cuisinart at Costco for ~$50. We also use(d) a Cuisinart burr grinder that we got from Costco. But we've gone through two of those now and I don't think we'd buy another. About 6 months ago we bought our first espresso machine. It's a Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista. I did tons of research and this one seems to meet all of our requirements -- including being SIMPLE to use :). I keep a Bodum french press at work but hardly ever use it.

HolyRollah likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

one of my favorite alternative methods for brewing a good, strong cup of coffee. The only downside is the clean-up after, but sometimes I'm willing to pay the price for those good morning brews.

Spit_Fire likes this.
  3. wags

wags New Member

It keeps me clear of the weak warm brown water available in the breakroom, lol. A note about water, our office building's water quality is questionable so that's the primary reason I don't use it frequently.

Spit_Fire likes this.
  4. Jrjoyce2007

Jrjoyce2007 Member

In my opinion: The key to a wicked cup of coffee is chemistry and water. Tap water has chlorine and what not in it and it alters the coffee flavor heavily. For those with the privilege of well water on property Im jealous. Luckily the refrigerator filters remove most of the things you don't want in your coffee. But before the water is even heated the chlorine must come out.

Of course I'm a particular when I make my morning joe so I use a french press after grinding whole beans. I LOVE the dark Caribou coffee beans. The mahogany, eclipse, or obsidian are wonderful if you like dark brew.

In a rush or at work the luxury of time isn't there so a percolator with Community Coffee with chicory is delicious, however that is probably an aquired taste from being a coon-a**.

grump likes this.
  5. tales1973

tales1973 Member

NYC water is around 32TDS, Nationwide thats on the low side. If i use the old reef tanks RO/DI filter 5 stage it goes down to 0TDS equal to distilled water.
    I bypass the DI filters for drinking water, thats about 2-3TDS perfect for drinking & coffee.

Anyway, i also use Keurig. With RO water.
    *RO filters average a 3 to 1 water waste :(*

6. GregDR

GregDR Well-Known Member

I've succumb to the pour over crowd.

[​IMG]

MoAllen and grump like this.
  7. Jrjoyce2007

Jrjoyce2007 Member

@GregDR how does that style of making coffee compare to coffee in a french press or percolator? I've only seen these and it looks like it would make weak coffee due to lack of time of hot water on bean

8. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

We use a Keurig at home because it's a practical solution for my wife's and my different coffee needs. I acknowledge the better quality of perc'ed coffee though. These days we only have it on camping trips.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My experience with pour overs is the cup is usually clean, bright, fresh as all 'get out'—and robust enough depending upon the bean & roast. The amount of saturation time (grounds/water contact) depends on the type of filtering used.
    Using a good, fresh grind and filtered water go a long way to ensuring a good result. Otherwise, garbage in =garbage out.

10. I've used a Chemex for years, but I'd like to recreate the Breaking Bad set-up Walt devised when working for Gus.

HolyRollah and GregDR like this.
  11. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Walt's setup would be great.

12. LanceK

LanceK Active Member

I use a bun on workdays, and a French press on the weekends.

HolyRollah likes this.
  13. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

Kureg style with the "use your own grounds" cup. Used to make a pot at a time but I was the only drinker, the wife likes hot water for cocoa, so this just seems easier.

Fred Hill likes this.
  14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I used a French press for the first time.
    was nice.
    any tips on cleanup,I don't want all those loose grounds going down the drain. or is that a good thing?
    dig out by hand, into trash?
    I know these questions sound genetic, but it seemed like a lot of work for an ok cup of Joe.
    any tips?

15. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

We have a Kuereg machine at home and I have a Hamilton Beach 1 cup machine at school. I think I bought the HB at a hardware store. Both have screen/cup deals to use whatever cheap coffee I buy.

Mustache likes this.
  16. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I decided to invest some overtime funds into a new coffee maker a few months back.
    I've always liked the drip brew idea, but I considered several different machines and methods
    before making the purchase.

I eventually decided on this.

bv1800th_b_0.jpg

It's a BonaVita BV1800. (super insulated carafe w/glass liner)
    The design focus of this machine is get the water to the correct/best brewing temperature quickly, (185-195 deg. F)
    and drip that water in the basket with the coffee and hold it there for just the right amount of time.
    Well, mission accomplished. I was very much surprised with difference in the taste of the coffee.
    It's very good. (comparing it to a $25.00 Mr. Coffee...)
    The is no warmer in the base of this machine. The carafe does a very good job of keeping the coffee very hot
    for at least 2 hours after brewing. Now I just carry the carafe around the house with me, and my coffee is
    always close at hand, and hot. There must be something to the claims of best brewing water temperature
    and exposure time, because this makes the best coffee I've ever had at home.
    The machine seems to be of very good quality, and I can see no reason why it won't last several years.
    Overall, I'm very happy with it. As a matter of fact, the snow is beginning to fall again just now,
    which cancels an outdoor obligation I was planning to attend to, so I think I'll head back to the kitchen
    and make another pot right now.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If the grounds are going down into a garbage disposal, that helps with odor control.

18. david of central florida

you have a point.
    but I have septic service not sewer. I refrain from whatever solids I can avoid.(for sake of the drain field).

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

We use leftover ground for garden soil amendment (acidic). I would not recommend putting coarse grounds down the kitchen drain. A friend who runs a plumbing business told me certain things should NOT be put down the kitchen sink or disposal as they eventually clog or dramatically slow the line (rendered saturated fat, artichoke leaves, egg shells, coffee ground, to name just a few).
    Add water to the leftover grounds in the pot so they are slushy and pourable. The majority will pour out into the trash or garden. The residue or leftover can simply be rinse out.
    A good cup of French-press is a significant jump in both strength and flavor over typical drip. There is a science to it —proper grind size (coarse as possible), water temp (198-200°F) and soak time (4 minutes, minimum). Extra work, but to me, the results are with it.

20. david of central florida

thank you.
    my second cup ess much better than the first. I think I rushed it.
    did you say coarse ground to be more preferable. I would have thought finer to be more flavorful.