How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You want logic? There's a reason its called 'French' press? :D
    Finer grounds for french press lead to over saturation and a bitter, dirtier cup. The filtering on the french press screens are not as fine as a paper or gold drip filter.
    [​IMG]

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

ok I'm starting to see the light.
    so setting time is more important than I gave it credit for.
    this is an endeavor I can play with.
    thanks for the tips.

3. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

I've heard French press is the way to go for a true connoisseur. I will say, the best cup of coffee I've ever had, and will never forget, was in Singapore.

4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I have switched to French press only. My drip machine is stored in the garage. I grind the beans for each pot and enjoy fantastic coffee each time.

5. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

French Press requires coarse grind. Fine grind results in a bitter brew. Never put grounds down sink. Eventually they combine wit greas and for a hard ball plug. It can result in the pipe having to be dug up. You can get away with it for years. However, it will catch up with you eventually

6. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

I hadn't heard that about having the pipe dug up before, but since we add the used grounds to the compost, I guess it doesn't matter. I gave up on French Press some time ago because the coffee from one is just not as hot as my wife and I like our morning cup to be.

7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I've got that model, the BV1800TH. The Bonavita site doesn't carry it anymore, it was replaced by the BV1800TS which has a stainless steel carafe instead of glass lined. It doesn't maintain the coffee heat as well, but there were issues with the glass carafe internal liner imploding, so don't put your hand in it when cleaning. I bought the Melitta pour over carafe for a replacement. It's the same carafe they sell as a Bonavita carafe, but it's a bit cheaper.

upload_2015-3-19_6-2-34.png

Bristle Me likes this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Grind whole beans, percolator on stove over a gas stove. When it starts to percolate let for two minutes. Let sit one minute then drink black.
    Repeat.:p:p

9. razrmnky

razrmnky Active Member

For convenience I make a pot of drip every morning and bring it to work in a thermos. The free coffee at work is horrible. I also have an espresso maker on the drip machine, a Keurig for K-cups, a Keurig Rivo for espresso, and a french press at home. I also have a french press travel mug at work in case I forgot to bring my thermos. They all have their pros and cons but I like to have my options. I would love to get a stove top percolator for nostalgic reasons. I would love to occasionally drink coffee the way I remember my grandparents making it.

10. Luziana_Geezer

I thought about a percolator, too, then remembered the electric Sunbeam that Mom & Dad bought in the early 50s. They had a preference for Sunbeam back then, and had a Sunbeam toaster, too. The last percolator I remember them having was a General Electric that they bought in the late 60s or early 70s. I thought it made fine coffee as I remember it, and it had a lot more body than the stuff my Aunt Eleanor made.

A few years back the nostalgia got to me so I bought an electric Percolator at one of those kitchen shops in the mall. I think it cost me about $60. The thing had no controls at all on it. You just plugged it in when you were ready for it to perk your coffee, and it made all of those gurgling noises I remembered from when I was a kid; I was really enjoying listening to that sound. When it stopped percolating after about four or five minutes, I poured a cup that looked sufficiently dark enough to pass for something Mom would have made, but then I took my first sip. It was almost as weak as my Aunt's brew, but at least it didn't look like tea.

I messed around with the pot for a few days, but never could get the right ratio of coffee to water; I even tried to trick the machine to perk a little longer, but it would have nothing of that! I admitted defeat and went back to the Technivorm where I had already mastered the right ratios and bloom time. I then noticed that the percolator was no longer sitting on the counter. With my wife's obsession for keeping things put away, I realized that she had put it somewhere, never to be seen again.

Darkbulb likes this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

One day I'll move up to a French Press but for now I'm lazy and sticking with my H2JO "percolator".

12. mrchick

I use my French press every day. The drip coffee maker has been relegated to a shelf in the garage as a backup for parties. I have not found a way to make better coffee, than with a press, and I have tried.

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. Luziana_Geezer

You might want to look over this forum:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums

mrchick likes this.
  14. mrchick

Thank you

15. razrmnky

razrmnky Active Member

French press coffee is delicious, although I find myself not using it because of my lack of a burr grinder. I can use the grinder at the grocery store and do course ground, but then I have to grind it all way ahead of using it. I can use my cheap grinder at home, but electric grinders aren't actually good for coffee. It heats up the beans and grinds unevenly. I get too much sediment in the french press. I don't mind a little sediment, but I don't want the bottom to be like mud.

16. mrchick

I use a Bodum burr grinder (a little over $100.00) and get great results.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

They do make a filter/fine sieve insert for the French press plungers for use with a finer ground coffee. The result is a cleaner, less muddy cup when one uses finer grinds.

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Fired up the old Sunbeam Coffeemaster this morning. From the same amount of coffee, this thing pulls out far more flavor than our basic Mr. Coffee drip can even think of doing. Flavor is easily on par with the french press I used years ago.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  19. Greg F.

Greg F. Well-Known Member

Bought the new Keurig 2.0 for my girlfriend this past Christmas. I wa pretty pissed when I learned you need special K-Cups for it to work but they're rectifying that problem now. We jus picked up a reusable one so we can use fresh grounds of our choice. Works great!

Fred Hill, Hodge and Douglas Carey like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Not being wedded to just ONE brand of coffee is always a bonus.

Greg F. and Douglas Carey like this.