How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just bought the big blue can of JGF this morning. Hadn't tried it before, figured it was worth experimenting. Not very complex but has a surprisingly not bad flavor.

[​IMG]

2. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I prefer espresso and I like Italian roast. My process is pretty simple....stove top. I drink it black.
    esppresso.jpg

Fred Hill likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Black. Is there any other way?

Rusty blade, mrchick and NewellVW like this.
  4. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Not as far as I can tell...though I hear some people actually put milk and/or sugar in their coffee...imagine!

5. swarden43

:pot:

Rusty blade likes this.
  6. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

the way I make coffee is to leave it on the shelf and pick up a tea bag and a kettle. boil water add honey and tea then stir and enjoy!

Rusty blade likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

blk_coffeee.jpg

8. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

20 grams Lavazza Crema e Gusto in Impress coffee press

9. William232

William232 Active Member

Just made the switch to doing the single cup pour over.
    I was using the french press for a while but recently found out theres cholesterol in unfiltered coffee. A paper filter catches the oils from the beans. I'm getting to that age where I have to watch out for cholesterol and sodium and all that.
    Takes a little bit longer to brew than the press, but the flavour is still in the cup.
    Everything is going to be alright...

Fred Hill and hippiebrian like this.
  10. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

I have a single cup pour over which I love, but have you considered an aeropress? You can use one to make a straight espresso type beverage (it's espresso, but the purists would smack me for saying that, lol), fill the cup up with hot water for a nice regular coffee / americano, or, my favorite, use the single cup maker then make the aeropress right over the top, yum yum!

11. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have to agree.

Coffee is not coffee unless it takes the paint off the side of a US Navy Ship Two Fathoms aka 12 ft. below the water life !

Fred Hill and bigjustin like this.
  12. swarden43

I used to make the coffee at church. I was accused of trying to take the enamel off their teeth!

I thought it was good. :eatdrink013:

PatrickA51 likes this.
  13. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

My Father taught me how to make coffee.

14. Medicdad417

Medicdad417 Well-Known Member

Keurg for the quick fix, black and decker for the long haul, and good old campfire/cowboy coffee when out in the woods. No mixes, no creams, no sugar. Black and strong.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  15. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

"Donut Dark" Blend in a (Keurig), am I allowed to type it? :eatdrink013: Creamer only.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sure. It's all about the coffee. :)

Fred Hill likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

A dollop of heavy cream? Oh yes. Any kind of sweetener? Bleh.

Fred Hill likes this.
  18. Fred Hill

I was a "Ship's Cook!" USS Yosemite AD-19 (1960-64)...I KNOW NAVY COFFEE...I made gallons & gallons of "Dark Tar" for 1200 men, all day long, every day of duty, all over that 'Busy Lady!" Used it instead of "RED-LEAD," Hah, hah, hah!

hippiebrian, PatrickA51 and mikewood like this.
  19. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Do you remember the proportion?
    Thanks.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  20. Fred Hill

US Navy Coffee Recipe

INGREDIENTSWEIGHTSMEASURES
    Water, freshly drawn, cold---6-1/4 gal.
    Coffee, regular Navy grind 3 lbs.3-3/4 qt (Add 1 lb)
    Method:

1. Pour water into hot water boiler. Heat to boiling temperature.

2. Fill jacket of coffee urn with water 3/4 full as indicated on the gauge glass. Maintain temperature of this water at 185o F to 190oF.

3. Rinse urn bag with clear, cold water. Place in position in empty urn, in which coffee is to be made, making sure that both the urn bag and urn ring are correct size.

4. Place coffee in urn bag. (Some added a spoon of salt & some crushed egg-shells for "COOKS/GALLY-COFFEE!"It depended on which Watch (Port or Starboard) had the duty?)

5. Draw off boiling water, 1 gallon at a time. Pour slowly in a curricular motion over coffee in bag. Keep covered between pouring of each gallon of water to keep heat and aroma in the coffee brew.

6. Repour '4 gallons' of brewed coffee over coffee grounds.(CRITICAL)

7. Remove urn bag and coffee grounds, immediately after all the brewed coffee has dripped through. (NOT ALWAYS IMMEDIATELY!)

8. Draw off 1 gallon brewed coffee. Repour into urn (TWICE) to insure uniform strength throughout the brew. (THIS IS CRITICAL FOR COOKS!)

9. Hold finished coffee at temperature of 185o F to 190o F until served.

10. Empty coffee grounds from urn bag. Rinse bag thoroughly in clear, cold water. Keep submerged in cold water until used again.
    Notes:

1. If urn is not equipped with hot water boiler, heat water for brewing coffee in a separate utensil.

2. The jacket water is used to keep coffee warm and must not be used for brewing coffee.

3. In making larger quantities of coffee, repour 2/3 of brew over coffee grounds. :angry021:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    PatrickA51 and mikewood like this.