How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

We're back to the 12 cup version, mostly due to time (lack of). I break out the old perc on weekends sometime.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

French press with the Bodum 34-ouncer.
    I get a monthly shipment of Peet's that is overnighted the day after roasting. VERY fresh. One has to be careful of the enormous fresh coffee bloom as one brews as it tend to overflow if one isn't careful!
    SafariScreenSnapz458.jpg

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've been thinking about a larger capacity French, in order to simplify my newfound curiosity for cold brew. Waiting for a used one to show up cheap at one of my usual resale haunts.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm actually drinking Peet's decaf right now! But I put an ice cube in it to help me handle the humidity. Peet's is a classic all right.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Enjoyed some cold brewed Peets this morning. Just as flavorful as usual but missing a bit of the normal coffee 'tang' (which itself isn't unpleasant; or maybe I'm just used to it). Not sure I'd do this every day but it's a nice change.

6. Colonel_K

Colonel_K Well-Known Member

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Exactly per the name. Essentially not letting the temp of the water get to the point where harsher oils and potential bitterness get extracted from the grounds. Supposedly it yield a smoother cup, ideal for an iced beverage.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Exactly right. And to a point, it does. Is it a HUGE difference? Not to my palate, but I could be doing it wrong.

9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That's the theory. I find it too mild. But, I'm an iced espresso kind of guy.

10. Colonel_K

I have been doing it all wrong then.
    When I make an iced coffee, I use the same amout of coffee but a small measure of hot water. When it's brewed, I top up with cold water and ice.

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

There is no wrong. Does it taste good? If so, you did it right.

gorgo2 and Colonel_K like this.
  12. Colonel_K

Tastes ok to me!

YMMV.

gorgo2 and mrchick like this.
  13. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Half a mug of hot water, half a mug of hot milk and this...

[​IMG]

It has replaced the Senseo and Bodrum cafetière...

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

8 cups of coffee in my coffee maker and into a contigo mug. That baby stays hot all day long and I am fueled up

15. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Last weekend before a football game we stopped at a tavern that had Nitro coffee, apparently it's a popular new drink that, of course, I was clueless about. It's cold brewed coffee that's served through a beer tap with nitrogen injected instead of CO2, like Guiness stout.

My daughter ordered one and I had a Guiness. Her coffee was served chilled in a clear glass (no ice), it was very dark and had about a 1/2 inch creamy head. It had a strong, creamy coffee flavor and I understand it's high in caffeine. It tasted very good, but not quite as good as the Guiness.

Bama Samurai, gorgo2 and mrchick like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Coincidentally, i happened across a vendor selling the identical product at the Sonoma fairgrounds on Wednesday. It was a scorching 102°F out so an iced coffee sounded good. It ws served 'on the rocks' and had a thick foamy Guiness-like head. Tasty…but as you noted, not quite a Guiness! :D

17. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I love my coffee in the morning. We buy Guatemalan beans from the Sams club and grind in a little Krups unit. Put it in the Mr Coffee and the day begins.

18. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I don't. The stuff is just nasty

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Heathen! Blasphemer! Leper unclean! :duel:

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Wife bought some Gevalia ground coffee which we tried this morning. I wasn't impressed. But Harris Teeter had 8 O'Clock "Original" beans at BOGO yesterday, so one bag is in the freezer and I'm going to make some later.

I have now been thoroughly convinced that grinding beans - even with my humble little blade grinder - makes a huge difference in flavor, even in a bottom of the line Mr. Coffee drip.

Bama Samurai and Erik Redd like this.