How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Issac

Issac Member

I know it's kind of pathetic but I haven't bought a maker yet. (it's on the list.)
    Folgers bags, black.
    or for tea Twinings Earl Grey bags, Black.
    (For tea: bag before water and steep for 5 minutes, no dunking.)

2. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Hi new seals are available. They run about 25$US. But if the seal isn't that bad... Plumber's Teflon tape with work well. If it's wrapped tightly around the seal 4-5-6 times it stays in place and adds some life to the set up.

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

If I'm making coffee for everyone, I use an automatic drip pot.

If it's just for me, I recently received an Aerropress which I use. While I expected this to make good coffee based on all the great reviews, I've been really amazed that it makes the best coffee Ive ever had. It's something between drip coffee and espresso - not really either. Stronger, and slightly more complex that regular coffee, but it doesn't pick up the less pleasent notes I find in all but the best espresso.

I alway use whole beans, ground in my manual burr grinder. My favorite beans are Kenya AA, but for cost reasons I'll usually have what the wife picks up. We tend to like Ethiopian and Costa Rican beans, along with a few blends.

I also like tea, usually drinking more of it than coffee. I do loose tea in a brew basket or single cup infuser. I drink mostly black teas, but will do some greens and as a real treat I'll pick up Silver Needles.

4. vegasvics

vegasvics Well-Known Member

In honor or Mardi Gras, I've been drinking Mello Joy, Community, and Cafe Du Monde. All made in Vacuum brewer

Hanzo likes this.
  5. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

The Aeropress is an excellent device. I use mine for coffee, and loose leaf tea. I'm sure the tea would turn out better using a disk instead of the paper filters, but I like the cleanness in the coffee with paper.

Fratello Los Placeres Estate Blend has been my bean of choice for the last while. I'm able to get it for a consistently good price, and it is an excellent everyday coffee. Excellent in the Aeropress, and pour-over.

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Growing up in New Orleans locals could not stand national brands like Folgers, people were either Community or CDM drinkers, Cafe Du Monde was considered for tourists. I think the Coffee Chicory tradition derived from the French settlement. Even when some New Orleanians travel they used to take bags of coffee with them . I have rediscovered CDM . I am also using chicory with French Roast, not bad.

7. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Gaggia Baby espresso machine, lavazza beans freshly ground in a Gaggia MDF conical burr grinder.
    A good double espesso every morning gives your day a kick start..

8. I really, really enjoy my coffee... Aeropress at the office, snobbishly extracted pourover or espresso at home.

9. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

Kuerig.

10. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

This.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Found a C30 today. Unused, looks like. Seal very slightly cracky but works fine, even had the instructions in the top pot. Tried it out with the Folger's we normally use (yeah, I know). Can't say yet it makes a better cup but it sure does taste noticeably stronger. Must be that boiling washing machine action that it does before the vacuum. Wife is happy as it may mean we can use slightly less coffee for the same taste.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I need to try the steep; I've always dunked but have gotten frowns for it in the past.

Have really enjoyed Tetley's British Breakfast for some months; made me stop buying PG Tips.

13. Love Tetley's. Wish I could get it for a reasonable cost around here...

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Wal Mart...purple/green box.

15. Hmmm.... I'll have to check again. Whatever I saw there last time didn't impress me.

16. Mark E. Wallace

Mark E. Wallace New Member

I roast my own, twice per week.

Each morning, I grind ~2.5 Tbsps of whole beans in my Kitchenaid burr grinder and then brew it using a Clever Coffee Dripper. I get a great cup of coffee every time.

- Mark

17. Now we're talking. What do you use? Popcorn popper? Stir Crazy/Turbo oven? Pan?

18. Mark E. Wallace

I have been using an iRoast for the last couple of years. It's still going reasonably strong, but it wouldn't surprise me if it dies this year.

I'm the only coffee drinker in the house, so the small roast size (130g pre-roast) isn't an issue for me.

I'll never give it up. Home roasting is the best thing I ever did for my coffee consumption. The CCD might be second in line for that claim.

- Mark

19. Nice, I am planning on home roasting soon as well. Just with a popcorn popper, as that's what I'll be able to afford.

20. Mark E. Wallace

I never did go the popper route, but that's a great place to start nonetheless. Good luck!! Sweet Maria's is your friend.

- Mark