How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Y'know, if my 11-year-old Braun kicked the bucket, I think I'd take it to the fix-it guy & have it repaired. I'm not lacking in the coffee maker department, but still.

Erik Redd likes this.
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I expect it would cost more to repair than to replace. I don't even think you can access the heating element without breaking something. They don't make things like they used to.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sad, but true.

Bama Samurai and Erik Redd like this.
  4. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I have the earlier Bv 1500. It's been solid. Secret is to pass 2 cups of water to prime element and and carafe prior to brewing coffee. My go to recommended auto pour over.

Erik Redd likes this.
  5. '65 G-Slim

Bottom plate's held in with a few screws. Only controls are an on/off switch. I've seen these things *sell* for up to 70 bucks, used, on the 'bay, new (which is extremely rare), almost 100. I think I paid $27 back in '05. I think it'll run forever, though.

Erik Redd likes this.
  6. Erik Redd

I took the screws out of the bottom, the bottom plate was still attached. I think I could have gotten it off by using needle nose pliers to compress some tabs on the base. Finding a replacement 1400 watt element would probably have been difficult. A new BV1800SS is $115, the newer model BV1900TS is $135, and the smaller (5 cup) BV1500 TS is $83. I ended up getting a Ninja Coffee Bar on sale for $100. My daughter likes iced coffee drinks, and it does pretty well with drip coffee too.

7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Lately I've been mostly brewing my coffee with a Pyrex percolator and keeping my eye out for a vacuum pot.
    ...Here's what arrived in yesterday's mail.

cory1.jpg

Pretty good shape for it's age and I made my first pot yesterday.

It whooshed up from the bottom faster than any how-to videos showed so I'm thinking I need to dial the fire back a bit for my next pot.

wristwatchb, ram57 and '65 G-Slim like this.
  8. '65 G-Slim

heh...those things do put on a show.

John Beeman likes this.
  9. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

I have one that is identical to yours. Smooth cup of Joe from these babies and worth every penny I spent. Enjoy!!

John Beeman likes this.
  10. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

25 grams Palomar Star Chaser with 425 grams water via Silex vacuum pot

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I had a treat this morning — a gift from my son & his girlfriend (both employed by Starbucks)— a bag of small-lot reserve coffee 'RWANDA HINGAKAWA' —"notes of sweet mandarin citrus and honey, delicate florals and clove baking spices." Brewed french-press style using cold filtered water. An enjoyable cup…..:)
    :eatdrink013:
    rwanda_1.jpg rwanda_2.jpg

12. Red Rider

Nice find. I've yet to get into vacuum coffee making. It does make for a great show when guest are over.

Bama Samurai and John Beeman like this.
  13. Erik Redd

upload_2016-8-13_21-10-54.png

Quick shipment and orders over $35 ship free.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  14. eruannu

eruannu New Member

I used to French press often but since I go get damaged freight from time to time I have been lazy and use the Keurig as Kcups from a dented case are much cheaper

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

15. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

16. '65 G-Slim

"Lately I've been mostly brewing my coffee with a Pyrex percolator..."

I've got one of those...a '40s 4-cup Flameware...

[​IMG]

John Beeman and barbersurgeon like this.
  17. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Received a Hario mini mill ceramic burr grinder yesterday and have already broken it... The plan was to have this and an aeropress at work. At home it's mostly pour over these days. Next on the list: gooseneck kettle? (And another hand grinder I suppose.)

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I cheated this afternoon. I decided to just do an instant decaf. But I learned that the instant was 9 months outdated. I sure flipped THAT baby into the trash, but I'd already made the coffee, so I decided to have it anyway. No problems, I'm still here :).

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I've now switched to black-although I throw in some cinnamon in the mornings.

20. Red Rider

Costa Rican single estate Arabica med/dark as an espresso and Americano.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

barbersurgeon likes this.