How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's TWO strikes on ya, Paul - instant and decaf.
    Actually, that's THREE - instant decaf.

Shame, Paul. Shame, shame, shame.

;)

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Two new coffees to try: My youngest son, who works for Starbuck's, brought me a surprise bag of soon-to-be-released Starbuck's Anniversary Blend —a spicy, dark roast I enjoyed this morning via the Technivorm.
    A rich, dark roast that made for an enjoyable morning cup. My oldest son & new wife recently returned from their honeymoon Alaskan cruise and brought me a unique bag of dark-roasted whole bean coffee from Raven's Brew Coffee in Ketchikan, Alaska. Not sure of the meaning behind the triple-endowed goat, but the coffee was deliciously dark and chocolatey….
    SB_anniversary.jpg Goat_coffee.jpg

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

which counts as two strikes-the instant or the de?

4. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Since I'm having to work Labor Day, I brought some Italian roast, my old Zassenhaus mill, and my Melitta 101 cone. The receptionist is working with me, so I allowed her to use my vintage McCoy mug. She brought cinnamon rolls, so we made a day out of it.

Good times.

swarden43 likes this.
  5. swarden43

Instant - strike one
    Decaf - strike two
    Instant decaf - strike three

6. Paul Turner

as an announcer would say, "down he goes" :).

wristwatchb likes this.
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Picked up a vintage La Pavoni Europiccola lever espresso machine. Going to clean it up in/out and do some painting of the tray area, check and replace seals as needed.
    IMG_1230.JPG

Erik Redd and Spit_Fire like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

For Christmas, I surprised my wife with this Nespresso Ventuoline 'Evoluo' bundle with Aeroccino Plus milk frother. She loves cappuccinos and various frothy coffee drinks so she's tickled….

[​IMG]

MoAllen, richgem, Erik Redd and 3 others like this.
  9. swarden43

10. Paul Turner

Black, now. Nothing fancy. Even though I got back to a "normal" count on my blood sugar(thus escaping prediabetes range).

11. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

That's the way God intended coffee to be drank (drunk?...I never could figure that one out) if I want sugar and milk I'll have a milkshake.

Paul Turner likes this.
  12. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

Instant decaf?
    My God, what kind of an outfit is this?!
    Instant coffee?!
    Treasonous!
    Instant decaf?!
    A crime against humanity!
    Someone call The Hague and report them for crimes against humanity!
    A noose around the necktie area will make short work of this problem!
    Seriously guys, instant decaf?

13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

There is one exception to the instant coffee rule... the Germans make some very good instant. Much much better than the umm.... stuff... we get here.

14. Paul Turner

The only time I'd do that now is if I a m low on or out of Max House, Peets, etc.

15. Paul Turner

they both look great, but I'm a Ground man muhself.

16. richgem

Now THAT's a serious coffee station.

MoAllen likes this.
  17. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

My dear Penguine,
    Perhaps I'm am prejudiced against the words - instant and decaf - but I gag at the mention of them. Maybe you're right, maybe the Germans do it better, after all the Germans do a lot of things quite well, they even built my razor, but instant decaf is going too bloody far! I'd rather shave with a twenty bladed cartridge razor. Well... maybe not... but you get my drift, Germans doing it better aside, instant decaf is a bad idea. Lol. I get shivers thinking about it

18. richgem

If anyone is looking for a good supplier, particularly if you're on the East Coast, I can recommend Driftaway Coffee. They are a small batch roaster out of Brooklyn, NY. You just buy from them or they do subscriptions as well. They have a rotating selection that they roast on Fridays and they ship it right to you, fresh roasted. I've had a subscription with them for a few months now and it's great stuff.

If anyone's interested, I can give you a referral code. Just PM me. Due disclosure: with the code you will get a free sample pack* and after your 3rd regular order, I get a $10 account credit.

* The sample pack consists of 4 packets, each enough for about 2 or 3 cups. Each packet is a different roast from which you pick your favorite. That favorite is then used by Driftaway to select the next coffee they will send you if you get a subscription.

Also note that Driftaway sells only whole bean coffee and only regular (non-decaf). They ship only to the US.

19. richgem

Oh, I completely agree. I'm just mentioning the exception that proves the rule. Instant decaf? How's that any different than brown colored water?

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

I guess the industry has tried to improve the issue with those "bags" you drop in(like making tea), but they don't taste too good-but at least better than.......should I say it.......SANKA.