How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. It's a great way to use the pre-ground coffee that I occasionally receive as a gift, if I'm not feeling that particular blend...

2. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

OK, question: Is it considered bad form to use a stove-top popcorn popper for both bean roasting and popcorn? (not at the same time, obviously :rofl: )

3. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm, popcorn flavored coffee! Or, even better! Coffee Flavored popcorn! I picked up a Poppery II from thrift a few minutes ago for the low low price of $3! Theres another one that has a Popcorn Pumper for $1.50 that I'm considering snagging, just need to research it to see how it does beans. Both are of the recommended design.

$3 into my coffee roasting hobby! Hopefully this one doesn't take completely over like some others that I know of :p

4. Wow, nice find! I'm going to drop major money on this roaster right here... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036WS1GY/?tag=thshde-20 and hope for the best. It has good reviews on SM and Amazon for coffee roasting. If I found a Poppery II, I'd buy it though...
    Perhaps we need another thread for "How do you ROAST your coffee?"

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yes. Once it's used for coffee, keep it for coffee. You actually want the inside to get coated with the oils from the coffee as it will season the popper. Unless, of course, you do want coffee flavored popcorn as Everett mentioned.

6. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

Kinda figured, but I thought I would ask just in case. No space for two poppers, hardly for even one. Until we get a bigger place, I best stick with my local roasters....not that this is a hardship.

7. Everett

Hooray! I got that little Beast (Poppery II) Home last night, and immediately set to work pulling it apart! got it all dismantled, widened the vents a bit in the bottom, removed the thermal fuse, the thermostat, and switched the main heating coil.

Now, when I turn it on, it gives very nice airflow with minimal heat, until I flip the switch, then it heats like a banshee! I figure if I stop the heat 30 seconds shy of my desired roast, than it will somewhat cool the beans down before I dump them out, leaving less to be cooled after its in the colander, and less continued roasting after the fact.

Of course, the only way to test this theory is to actually start roasting, and for that I need to wait for beans :(

8. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Just discovered some damn good coffee.....my in laws are in for a while and they have this little doo dad known as a Keurig.......I drank a "Chai Latte" with some Cold Stone Creamery Creamer and a bit of sugar.......WOW!! Talk about tasty!!!! The Donut Shop flavor is awesome too!

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cream and sugar!?!? Sheeesh!

Man, some folks just really know how to mess up a good cup of coffee. Next thing ya know they'll be putting ice in it!

:p

(just kidding - it's your coffee. Enjoy it your way.)

10. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

Bialetti Brikka! It's a stove top espresso maker with a pressure valve that creates a layer of crema on the espresso shots.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. I may have to check this out, as I love my little Moka pot...

12. First one to get beans should make a new thread about roasting them, my beans should be here early this week.

13. Ryan Reilly

Ryan Reilly Active Member

Go to the coffee shop, I only drink iced coffees, never been a fan of hot coffee.

14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Now that I'm off looking for a preowned popcorn popper I do have a technical or may be technique question to ask. I have a 6cup glass stove top Vacuum Coffee Maker in my rotation . I would use it more if there was an easy way to get the used grinds out of the upper section. Ideas??? Thanks.

15. Everett

Water, and dump into a strainer?

16. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Have older drains and hate to have the grinds in the sink. Also fear breaking the stem off the vacuum section. Can see why there's not very many old ones around.

17. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Just found a Starbucks Barista (Saeco rebrand) on craigslist and picked it up after school. Cost me one measly $50 bill. Some lady who got a keurig felt the machine was being too ignored.

Fine by me!

I also snagged this doserless krups grinder of amazon a few days before its price increased a whole $50 and just after it hit the US market. The whole set up cost me under $200!

[​IMG]

Hanzo likes this.
  18. Nice! I have the same *$ Saeco, in Black and with the old style handle. It's not a bad machine. A steal at $50 for sure. Nice grinder as well!

19. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I've got a proper tamper and spent coffee stein in the mail. I'm going to depressurize the portafilter and get myself that much closer to a more *proper* espresso set up with the limited income (of a student).

20. Great! I still need to get a proper tamper. Someone gave me one of those rubbish starbucks rounded bottom deals with the scoop, and I hate it. Limited income brewers, unite! I am going to depressurize mine as well. Thanks for reminding me.