How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by BlueShaver, Oct 4, 2019.

?

How do you make your coffee?

1. Drip (Percolator)

25 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. French press (cafetiere )

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Capsule (Nespresso-ish)

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. Espresso machine

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. AeroPress

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Moka Pot

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  7. I drink Instant

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  8. Coffee is for cowboys

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I love a good variety of fresh coffee, prepared in a number of ways. I used to be strictly French-roast, black as mud...but I’ve cast hesitation to the wind and am far more adventurous in my sampling. I do draw the line at flavored coffees, however. Pumpkin spice my pies, not my coffee.

side note: one impediment to my overall coffee enjoyment is caused by my sporting a large white mustache. To prevent the social faux pas of ‘coffee-stained’ facial hair, I drink my morning brew...through a straw. :eek::eek::eek:By doing so, it kind of kills the satisfying ‘mouth feel’ of a quality cup. Sad....

2. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

How do you not scold scald your mouth drinking hot coffee through a straw?

Do you drink it warm only?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  3. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Ethiopian Yergachef is in my top 3 for preference along with Kenyon Peaberry. I get my green beans from a supplier in Wisconsin, Burman Coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SharptoothC likes this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Scold his own mouth? Was it using potty language again? /runs away

BlueShaver likes this.
  5. BlueShaver

Stupid dickslecsia :angry032:

I should have said "Scald" obv.

richgem likes this.
  6. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I've used Sweet Maria's so far to get African origin beans. They do have an excellent selection.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

How do you tell when a stovetop is ready and needs removed from the heat? Always wondered about that.

Enrico likes this.
  8. richgem

Unless you experiment with timing and go from there, you have to semi-guess by the color of the liquid as it hits the clear knob during percolation. In other words, the "Eh... looks about right" method. Or, I suppose, you could decant a small amount during percolation and see if it looks right also.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Ursa, Edison Carter and Enrico like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

As you said Rich time and experimenting to start with, but once you got it down; it's great coffee.

Start with cold water in the pot and your insert (riser and basket) is on the counter on the side. Bring you water to just about to boil and drop in insert and close lid. When it starts to perk, drop the heat down to medium +or-, so that it's perking about one a second. Then let it perk for about seven minutes +or - (this is where your desired strength and flavor comes from). Remove from heat and enjoy.

Once you have your timing down, it become part of your morning routine. Sometimes I sit down and grind my beans in my 1930's Alexanderwerk coffee grinder prior to perking coffee. It's just fun. :D

:eatdrink013:

10. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Been using Melita-style (cone) filters for decades. First in a manual drip, now a Braun auto-drip. Use a french press when I want just a cup or two.

11. richgem

I actually never thought about doing it this way (tho, I don't have a perc coffee maker anyhow). I remember everyone in my family just assembling everything into the pot with the water still cold and then heating the whole thing. Your way makes more sense in terms of quality of product. Probably a lot less bitter and burned-tasting your way.

Enrico likes this.
  12. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Well, my auto-drip just met it's end, as the glass pot just shattered all over the floor. From now on, only unfiltered coffee for me. Or instant, if i'm feeling too lazy.

13. richgem

:(:sick002:

MrDaniel's likes this.
  14. MrDaniel's

DSC_0615.JPG It can rest in pieces, in the trash. But this one doesn't break that easily! And the coffee tastes better. Actually this is pretty close to perfection for me.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Ursa likes this.
  15. BlueShaver

Unfiltered?
    Oooh...

Ursa and MrDaniel's like this.
  16. MrDaniel's

There will be some grounds yeah, but i'm used to it. Just don't take that last sip out of the mug and you'll be fine.

Ursa and ghostlife like this.
  17. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Kevin,
    I realize your post is a few weeks old but I’m just now reading it.
    I was doing really well and tracking right with you especially when you drew the line at flavored coffees.
    And then the straw thing...
    Sad is right. Very sad. Very very sad.
    I hope I can get to sleep tonight.

Ursa likes this.
  18. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Automatic Drip on busy days.

Vintage equipment when time allows.

I have several stovetop percolators (copper bottom metal, stainless, glass), dripolators (metal, porcelain), and glass vacuum pots.

MrDaniel's likes this.
  19. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

For over the past year my go to is a “modern” take on a syphon pot. Use it on electric range. Can be had pretty reasonably. To me produces a clean cup of joe. When I don’t have the 15 minutes or so a Kalita pour over. And when really lazy, reusable K cup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    MrDaniel's, Ursa, steve207 and 2 others like this.
  20. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I generally walk in...produce cash and say "usual" and within minutes I am sitting sipping extra hot latte...god bless all Costa workers

MrDaniel's likes this.