How do YOU soak your Brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Mr.Diehl, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Mr.Diehl

Mr.Diehl Member

Hello, friends! I was wondering what clever methods you have come up with to soak your brush? I use a rather large bowl, and while washing my face, applying pre-shave oil, and prepping my blade I will soak my brush in the bowl with scalding hot water. This warms the bowl and the brush.

Only problem is... the darn brush keeps falling over and into the water! I suppose the bowl is too wide or too concave to rest the brush handle on the lip, so it falls into the water. I started dunking the whole brush stand into the water which solved the problem entirely. But now I worry about the stand rusting. :(

What clever solutions have you discovered?

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Fill the sink with hot tap water, place bowl and brush into sink.
    Can't say it's overly clever, but it is, after all, just soaking a brush.

GDCarrington and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I just put it in the bowl like you do, but I think my bowl is probably smaller.

Douglas Carey and Mr.Diehl like this.
  4. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I put my brush in my lathering bowl, fill it with warm water and put the razor on top of the brush to prevent it from floating up.

Jasio78, Douglas Carey and Mr.Diehl like this.
  5. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

I use a butter bell to soak my brushes. The base is a perfect size for almost all my brushes and the bell is packed with Arko. Not that I use Arko everyday.

178-bplatoon and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I switched to synthetics.

dscaver and Mr.Diehl like this.
  7. Mr.Diehl

Mr.Diehl Member

So i should just give up on keeping the handle dry. Got it. :)

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

What kind of handle do you have?
    I have two wooden handle brushes and don't get overly concerned about soaking; they're only in the water for 3-5 minutes.
    That said, they are in an 18-brush rotation, so they're not getting soaked every day.

Douglas Carey and Mr.Diehl like this.
  9. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I soak all my brushes in my shave mug with hot water. I hate a cold brush or lather. I then shake the excess water out and scoop out some cream with a spoon into the hot mug sitting in a sink of hot water. It's like a scuttle. I then whip up the lather with the brush, adding hot water as needed. I'd rather start out a little dry and add water than end up needing to add product. The exception to this is with the one synthetic brush I have. I just run hot water over the brush to warm it up and then squeeze the excess water out.

Mr.Diehl likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Until about a week ago, I would run water in the sink for washing my face and drop the brush in it during my face-washing time. About a week ago, I decided to skip the soaking stage. After I wash my face, I simply wet the brush and give it a gentle squeeze and begin to load. I face-lather, so you know what comes next.

11. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I soak the brush in my scuttle filled with hot water. If you place it in the middle and perpendicular, it will not fall over ☺

12. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

As I fill my sink with hot water I toss in my brush. Apply my pre-shave oil, get my soap/cream and razor ready. Take out my brush shake off some of the water and then lather. My brush is in the water for 3-5 minutes. Enough to soften the bristles. All my brushes (sounds like a lot but I only have 5 brushes) have wooden handles and it has done no harm. Sometimes, if I think of it, I have a spare mug and will soak my brush in hot water while I prep. Been doing it this way for years.

13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I use a mug, maybe a coffee cup( seemed to short to be for java). someone gave it to me years ago. it has "world's greatest talker" printed on it. I'm not sure that's a complement. I find it does great just for soaking my brushes.
    if I worry about wooden handles,I pour out some water, so that just the bristles are submerged.

14. Mr.Diehl

Mr.Diehl Member

I have a plastic handle, and only one brush. I'm "not allowed" to buy more... But I only shave twice a week, so there's opportunity for drying.

15. Mr.Diehl

Mr.Diehl Member

My brush does not stay up. I'm guessing because the bowl is so much larger. If I remember, I'll get some pics posted when I get home. The brush does a wonderful job staying perpendicular when loaded with lather, though.

It upsets me most that it falls, not that it gets the handle wet. I'm a bit OCD, and I like thinks to stay put when I put them somewhere. :)

KLF likes this.
  16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I use this and fill it up just enough to cover the bristles.
    image.jpg

Primotenore likes this.
  17. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I drown my brush in my mug in hot-ish water (not scalding hot, but def. not luke either), and then I shower while it soaks. Boar or badger, same routine.

18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Will you post a picture of your?

19. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

I just pump my brush under runing water for a few moments and leave it wet like that just lying in the sink until I shower (the sink being empty :D )

20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

For synthetics I don't soak at all.

For badgers and boars, I have a small metal cup that only allows the tips and some of the hairs to get wet but not to the breech of the handle. 3 min soak for badger and about 5-8 min for boar.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.