How do YOU soak your Brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Mr.Diehl, Sep 8, 2015.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I do soak my synthetics, but for the pupose of getting them warmed up.

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use a small cup to soak my brush, this way I don't get the handle/knot waterlogged. Synthetic brushes I don't soak just wet.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. bdalemauger

bdalemauger Active Member

I just put it in the sink of hot water while I shower, don't bother even trying to make it stand up! haha
    I have 1 wood handle and 1 plastic handle. If over a period of time the wood takes it tough it's an excuse to buy another!

Mr.Diehl likes this.
  4. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

I throw mine in the sink with hot water.

Greg W.

bdalemauger likes this.
  5. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

I use my grandfathers hull mug. Plus I stand my brushes in the mug and they don't fall over. I never wet my handles or submerge them. I do use larger knots than some so this aids in my brushes being able to balance on the bristles.

6. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I prefer synthetics, so I usually just run them under the water for a few seconds, then shake it a few times and make a lather. Even when I use a boar/badger I don't notice a difference when I soak the brush first YMMV.

7. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

After reading through the preceeding posts, I realized Ive tried all of above. Currently Im just tossing the brush in the sink as Im filling it.

90quattrcoupe likes this.
  8. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I stick it in an ok chipped coffee mug that I keep just for soaking brushes. It's narrow enough that the brush stands up and along with a deli cup I fill with water to wash off my razor all I have with water while I shave. I redip to get more water if I need it while lathering and if the deli cup is really scuzzy I change it out between passes.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this option:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=marvble cotton swab holder&oq=marvble cotton swab holder&aqs=chrome..69i57.13016j0j4&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#q=marble cotton swab holder
    Marble cotton swab holders. Elegant, refined, and expensive on shavenation.com where they are sold as brush soakers without the lids.
    You don't, of course, need to use a marble one, but the stone does help to hold the heat in.

Mr.Diehl likes this.
  10. Str8Guy

Str8Guy Well-Known Member

I am a simpleton but simply run the brush under fairly warm water until loaded/saturated with water then start swirling in my cup of soap! Like I stated, nothing fancy on my part and it works!

11. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

:signs011: But I'm not overly concerned about it. And my only brush with a wooden handle usually holds on pretty well.

Mr.Diehl likes this.
  12. Mr.Diehl

Mr.Diehl Member

This is my current solution. bowl is too big.JPG

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'd worry about the stand rusting, as well.
    Just let the whole brush soak. Ain't gonna hurt the handle any.

Mr.Diehl likes this.
  14. Jay S

Jay S Active Member

Just dip the tips and load...

15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use a #6 bestshave horse(?) hair brush knot that has been re-handled into an acrylic handle. I like to soak the bristles in hot water while I shower before my shave, but not the handle or knot.
    I use a Chinese SS bowl I got off ebay that is same shape and dimensions as the green ceramic VDH bowl. What I do is place a wash cloth(the cloth I use for warming and wetting my face before my shave) over the bowl in the sink and then fill the sink and bowl with hot water to the top of the bowl only. Push the brush down into the face cloth which offer's enough resistance to hold the brush upright so only the bristles get wet and not the handle or knot. I'm a bowl latherer and have soaked my brush this way since I first started "traditional" shaving. When I'm ready to build my lather I give the brush a couple of shakes and then swirl it around my soap bowl to load the brush and then use the SS bowl to build my lather. This system has worked well for me. :)

16. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

Most of my good brushes are Wood handled, so i soak them carefully, only to get the fibers wet without getting the wood wet. on my acryilics, i just toss them in the bowl and fill it up

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Ditto in Black.

cmorris357 likes this.
  18. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

I also just fill my bowl with hot water while I shower. My bowl must be smaller as well.

19. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

I fill this espresso cup to just under the handle with hot water until I am ready to use it.
    uploadfromtaptalk1442116778500.jpeg

damnitgoose likes this.
  20. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

I only soak my boar brushes, the badgers and synthetics I just hold under running water get them wet.

Dave

NapalmCola likes this.