How Done do you like your steak?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Ryan B, Nov 25, 2013.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy097: :happy088:

Whats blue-rare?

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

'Blue' is a term often used to describe beef that is raw or severely undercooked.

3. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

No blue is not raw. Raw is raw. Blue you at least restore the body heat and have it seared a little.:drool:. To prevent haters if you ever came to my house for a BBQ I would gladly prepare your steak how ever you want. No thats not an invite;)

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Let's just say 'blue' is about as close to 'raw' one can get, unless you're making steak tartar. ;)
    A high-seared steak that is still room temp in the middle (raw).
    [​IMG]

5. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

:drool:

:drool::drool::drool: Now I'm hungry. It could just be the Vampire in me:rolleyes:

6. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

I prefer mine medium rare and sometimes rare. If it's a good cut of meat then the redder the better.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Best steak I ever had, aside from what I've done on the grill, came from Joel's Steak House ---> *click*
    The only reason you needed a knife was to hold the steak while you pulled it apart with your fork.
    Of course, that was close to 30 years ago, so I have no idea how their fare is these days.

8. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I used to be only well done, but lately medium well.
    Last May at end of year get together for the school district, we had Outback cater. Choice was chicken or steak - of course I chose steak. First cut, I'd wished I'd've picked chicken...we joke about having to chase the steak around the table.
    Probably would've been perfect to most of the rest of you in this thread, but not me. I did try it...but nope, no go for me. I don't mind if it's a little pink in the center, but that's it.

However, one of my co-workers is worse than me. I though I liked well done....he basically tells the waitress "Well done, then burn it".

9. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Knew a high-priced chef who would swear up and down that all the various and sundry variations on how done a person likes red meat are balderdash; in his words, there are only three grades of 'done-ness' to red meat, barring steak tartar: Rare, Medium, and Well. Everything else is guesswork in trying to communicate between chef and patron.

As for myself, straight-up medium works best for me, though I'll occasionally want a rare cut.

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Medium rare for me please! :)

11. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I had a rare steak last night. My girlfriend had a well done steak. She let me try some and I think leather would have been easier to chew. Yuck.

12. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

This picture portrays my idea of a perfect steak. I will eat a steak that is medium if I have to, however that is where I draw the line between food and dog food.

offroad64 likes this.
  13. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

Yeah like that

offroad64 likes this.
  14. joshkamradt

joshkamradt Member

Medium rare and eared on the outside

15. Adriano Arrigo

Adriano Arrigo Well-Known Member

Me too :)

16. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Medium for me.

17. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I don't understand why he would say that, there looks to be clear differences
    [​IMG]

Adriano Arrigo likes this.
  18. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Because, in his opinion based on his career in the kitchen, what is labeled medium rare in your illustration (for example) is 'too well done' for some customers' satisfaction, but 'too rare' for others'. In other words, aside from the 3 basic categories, everything else was subject to the whims and individual biases of the customers.

19. jmckay0901

jmckay0901 Active Member

Had to look that one up.....;)

blanka likes this.
  20. jmckay0901

jmckay0901 Active Member

Anything beyond medium rare and you have destroyed the meat. Makes me cringe when I see someone cook a good piece of meat well done, once you hit medium you have cooked most of the fat out of the meat and henceforth cooked out the flavor. At that point all of the flavor comes from seasoning and char.

But to each his own.:pot:

CyanideMetal likes this.