How Hair Deforms Steel

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, Aug 9, 2020.

1. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

New MIT research into razor blade durability hopes to provide a much longer blade life via compressing the steel at the edge and not heating the steel as much. However, Gillette found that heating the blade was necessary for PTFE application. Gillette felt that PTFE was more important than edge holding in the determination of blade durability and extended shave comfort. PTFE coatings cause less pulling because the newly exposed protein in hair cannot bond with the steel of the blade. Best of luck for the MIT team. We would all love razor blades that last longer. They have applied for a patent on their process.

http://news.mit.edu/2020/why-shaving-dulls-razors-0806

http://gilletteadjustable.com/misc-2/razor-blade-evolution/

[​IMG]

2. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Thanks for sharing.
    :happy096:

brit and GlennConti like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

very cool.more personna 74's..

4. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    Why does shaving dull blades? Because blades are designed that way so you buy more.
    Personna 74 blades lasted for ages when shaving with them but only lasted in the market for a very short time until the manufacturers figured out that there was no money to be made with long-lasting blades.
    Research or not - they won't make that mistake again.

Keithmax and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

they could have just "googled it"..;)

Keithmax likes this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is called ceramic blades. They should last on average 10x longer than a stainless steel blade.

brit likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The cost won't outweigh the longevity. Plus ceramic is very brittle, fragile, and prone to chipping. Try shaving with a blade that is chippy.

brit likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have tried longevity tests with Personna 74 blades(tungsten steel). Yes, they are very good blades, but waaaaaaayyyyy too expensive now. I have also tried longevity tests with the Gillette Spoilers, and Wilkinson Sword Super Sword blades(also Light Brigade).

Personna- great blade, over hyped, overpriced. Made late 60's early 70's.
    Gillette Spoilers- great blade, somewhat over hyped, expensive. Made late 60's early 70's.
    Wilkinson Sword Super Sword- great blade, "not" over hyped, can be found at decent prices. But, usually expensive. Made late 60's early 70's.

Are you seeing the trend?? Made late 60's early 70's.. This is the era, I feel, that they perfected the blades. It is also about that time they found that long lasting blades cost them money. I was getting about 35-45 smooth shaves, per blade.
    Now, the Personna 74 has reached mythical status, among the Vintage Shaving groups. But, you have to look at it nonbiased. I felt the Personna blades were only slightly better than the Gillette Spoilers, and Wilkinson SSS(and Light Brigade).
    I have.also run into some generic drugstore blades, made in that era, that are just as good(probably relabeled big named blades). A phenomenal time for blades.
    The only other blades I have found, that come close to these old blades, are the modern Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows. Very sharp, smooth, long lasting, and 30-40 smooth shaves per blade. That is the trifecta of a great blade. Now, its been a few years since I have bought any of these, so I dont know what the quality of them are now.

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Keithmax like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That maybe true on the cost / longetivity issue but they still will last much longer than stainless steel. If you don't smash the blade on the counter or drop it you won't have chipping issues. Shaving if anything is less stressful on the blade than kitchen work.