How Important is Preshave oil?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Flanigan, Feb 11, 2016.

1. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

That's the Phoenix artisan accoutrement double open comb travel razor its a four piece[​IMG]

BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I'm 45 years old. I tried preshave oil once. I didn't like it. I didn't like adding grease to my face. I never used it again. That's how important it is ;)

Some people like it, some people do not. It's one of those things.

Spyder likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I used to apply it regularly before DE shaving. I made my own. I got away from using it entirely.
    When I was learning to use a straight razor, I began using the oil again as sort of an additional precautionary 'cushion' on my face.
    After 3-4 months of daily use, I stopped using it. I don't miss it.

Spyder likes this.
  4. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I read somewhere about someone using hair conditioner. Since my landlady gave me a huge bottle of Provene (or some such), and it was just taking up space under my sink, I elected to try it...more so after the Williams soap I'm using dries before I can finish one side of my face. The lather stays moist longer, and I just wash it off with cold water when I'm done. My razor glides over my skin pretty smooth, too. Works for me, YMMV.

Spyder and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Demidog and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

+1 I find it very much reduces friction and keeps my face moisturized during and after. :)

Spud and Sara-s like this.
  7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

:signs011:

Whether it helps will really come down to your skin condition and your opinion. If you have oily skin or any trouble with acne or folliculitis, then I would stay away from oils. Ultimately, I found a good facial moisturizer worked better for me.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

That's one of the main reasons I'm not a fan. If I have over a week's worth of scruff I'll use Noxzema as a preshave. It cuts the face oil and in the beard while moisturizing the face.

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Noxzema does make a fine pre shave and further more a great stand alone. Trust me, I have experimented with it. Flexx approved! :happy069:

Spud, Spyder and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  10. cegadede

cegadede Member

Preshave oil is not important at all.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Unless you want it to be.

Spyder likes this.
  12. ssultan

ssultan Well-Known Member

It's a very personal thing. I do a 3 pass shave daily, sometimes twice a day, hazards of working in LE, I find the Preshave oil adds to the slickness and leaves my skin feeling better. I have definitely noticed an improvement in my shave so will continue using it. I suffer from very course beard and sensitive skin. Also, the remaining prep elements are still there...I bathe, wash my face with a good face wash before I begin. The only step I don't have time for except on holidays is the hot towel. The oil doesn't have to be expensive. I've used olive oil in a pinch. Now, I make my own with jojoba and almond carrier oils with either lavender or sandalwood essential oils added in.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Robyflexx likes this.
  13. Spiez

Spiez Active Member

I started wet shaving using AoS POS. I find now that when I bloom my soap, I rub the bloom water into my whiskers and it works great. Anyway, if I apply POS, when I lather my face, doesn't that wash off the shave oil? Just saying.

14. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Never tried it and I don't think that I'm missing much. I keep it simple. Soap, razor, aftershave. No alum block, witch hazel, post shave balm, whatever, nothing else. I have been enjoying perfect shaves for almost 3 years with that simple program. But of course that is just me talking here.....

15. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Seconding this and all of the other posts advising the same.

I'd also like to add that while preshave oil helped reduce my razor burn, I took a greater liking to preshave balm/cream. I simply didn't like the texture of the oil. Even cheap face creams work really well, provided that they are of the greasier variety.

A lot of vendors seem to advertise preshave oil as a means for allowing the razor to glide more smoothly. To me, its greatest utility lies in its moisturizing properties which in turn reduces friction. There's no harm in trying it and if you find that you don't like rubbing it all over your entire face, you can limit it to problem areas. Before I switched to preshave cream, I would just apply the oil mostly to my goatee and neck area since those were the most sensitive spots where I would get the most razor burn.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  16. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I like razorocks peppermint preshave balm when im in a rush. If your technique is one point, you can probably use this with no shave cream at all!

I dont think i would ever make mine because shave secret from walmart and target is so cheap...and it wirjs great.

IMHO, truefitt and hill makes the best preshave possible, but it is pricey.

Some swear by PSO, some dont wear it all all. If your really interested, go drop the $3 at walmart and try shave secret. That isn't going to make you or break you. If you like it, consider the razorock or T & H, if not...PIF it to me;)

Demidog likes this.
  17. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

I am currently trying to make preshave oil work for me, and I would appreciate some input from folks who do use it successfully in their routine.

I am currently learning to use a shavette after several years of using aggressive safety razors. If I can get preshave oil to give me an extra margin of error, I feel my progress will accelerate.

I recently wanted to mix my own PSO based on recipes posted at this site: 3 parts grapeseed oil, 1 part castor oil. I was unable to find castor oil at my local chemist, so I decided to use grapeseed oil alone. On the thread discussing recipes, I believe one poster claimed that grapeseed was sufficiently slick that they drastically reduced the amount of castor used. (I once tried baby oil alone, with the same but more extreme results that I'll be discussing here. The baby oil was a bit thicker than the grapeseed.)

After getting out of the shower, I immediately applied perhaps an almond-volume amount of grapeseed oil to my warm face. Face absorbed it, wasn't too messy - just needed to wash my hands. It was maybe 2-3 minutes before I face-lathered and began. I rinsed my face with hot water before each lathering pass. I did a 2 pass shave, which is normal for me.

I did not experience reduced friction, but rather just the opposite. My skin was tacky, and when the metal was in contact with it, there was an increase in friction. My skin did feel more firm, which did allow me to continue my shave without serious irritation. Stretching my skin and using slower, shorter strokes was sufficient to allow me to shave successfully. (When I tried baby oil, the increase in friction was so bad that I could not shave.)

(1) Was my face more slick? No, just the opposite.
    (2) Did my face feel better after the shave? Yes, it was a bit more moisturized at the end, as when I use a balm to finish instead of an aftershave.
    (3) Did I get a better shave? Difficult to judge - seems very close to the same.
    (4) Do I believe that the hairs on my face were made softer, or easier to cut by the oil? No, I have no evidence that the hairs themselves were affected, only the skin.

Can anyone explain to me the increase (or perceived increase) in friction?

18. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Ever heard oil and water don't mix?

PSO have specific ratios. You can't just use whatever and go after it. Shavettes are harsh and unforgiving. It's like you are teaching a 4 year-old to swim by throwing them off a boat in the middle of the pacific.

Take my advice:

1) go to walmart or target and pick up "shave secret." It is in the area by the shaving supplies. Its about $3

2) after showering and doing whatever pre shave routine you have at home, apply 5 or so drops and massage them in a circular motion into your face and continue with your shave soap and routine. Attempt this each time you shave, for a week.

If, by the end if the week, you cannot tell a difference, PIF it to someone because PSO (pre- shave oil) will not help you. If it does help and/or you like it, continue using it.

IMHO, shave secret is the best value preshave oil out there. "Google" best preshave oil and you will find that many, many others agree. I give it a 8.5/10 for PSO. If you must have the best, I recommend Truefitt and Hill's PSO. It has the perfect mixture for the job. I give it 10/10.

Come back to the thread later and let us know how it went.

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Do you like FREE?
    If so, and if there is an Art of Shaving store close, go in and ask if they have any samples. Most do, and they'll give you a little box that has a sample of their unscented cream, pre-shave oil, and aftershave balm.

20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Oil chemically defeats lather, this is a fact. Pre shave oil is unnecessary if you possess good lather skill and great shave technique. The reason PSO gets so much buzz is marketing. Example, Art of Shaving PSO...$12.50 per ounce or $1600 per gallon for vegetable oil that will cause you to use soap more quickly. Think about it... By all means, make your own or proceed without it. It's a gimmick in my opinion.

Straight razor dandy likes this.