How Important is Preshave oil?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Flanigan, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This.

dangermouse likes this.
  2. Spiez

Spiez Active Member

+1

Spiez

3. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I can only speak from personal experience but I find it helpful on my neck. Since using a pre shave cream (I find oils too messy) my throat area doesn't get nicked up nearly as much, and hours later it's not as red/ irritated. I apply it before every pass, not just once.
    I think it really depends on the skin type. Most guys just don't need it, others like me with skin easily irritated can benefit from it, IMHO.

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I find it works better when I use it, especially for the first pass. And like Spud, it helps for my neck areas where it's most vulnerable to irritation.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

I have to say that when I stopped using pre shave oils I started to get less irritation .

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai and Spyder like this.
  6. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Interesting. I have always put the PSO on after I've moistened the whiskers. I use the PSO to help trap the moisture in the skin to keep it more supple and less likely to get cut. Whenever I've forgotten to use it I find I cut more easily. Also, because shave soap is alkaline and applied after the PSO it also opens the scales on the hair to allow easier cutting. It seems PSO is one of the ultimate YMMV things in shaving. :happy088:

Billyfergie and Demidog like this.
  7. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Since I have started SR shaving I've considered PSO but after reading this I'm pretty much back to where I started. I guess I'll stick to a good soap.

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I shave at night, after a shower, and possibly that is the difference. But, I havent used Pre-Shave oil since I have been Straight Razor shaving. Maybe I'll give it another go. For fun, perhaps I will only apply it to one side and see if there is much of a difference.

Karl G and Redfisher like this.
  9. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I'd say if you don't miss it, why bother? I just know from experience that I cut easier when I don't use it. It's all about skin hydration and protection for me - I don't think it does diddly for the whiskers. There is a great explanation in the Wiki on B&B on it's intended benefit and how it works - or at least there used to be - I haven't been there much lately. :)

Redfisher and DaltonGang like this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I gave it a shot just a few minutes ago with tonight's shave. If the pso contributed to a really fantastic shave tonight; I can't say. I'll give it a few days....Using a safety razor,I couldn't tell the difference.

Karl G and Demidog like this.
  11. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

This is what I do too. I find that pre-shave balm is easier to apply and spread evenly but also sparingly over wet skin. I splash some water on my face and then I apply the balm. Sometimes I don't use balm but whenever I don't, I tend to get a little irritation or razor burn in the tricky areas like under my nose and on my neck.

Spyder and Karl G like this.
  12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

What I use for preshave oil isn't necessarily ment for it, but it works like a charm for me. I use it every shave and find it definitely improves my shave. I use Corn Huskers Lotion, loaded with glycerin, it isn't oily and best of all it's CHEAP.:)

Spyder, Karl G and Demidog like this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Whether of not that was its intended purpose, if it works it works!

14. Jeeves of Hudson Street

Jeeves of Hudson Street Active Member

Many pre shave oils have a lot of glycerin in them... shave soaps also have glycerin... the thing is that too much glycerin can kill lather. Thus being said a pre shave oil actually can lessen the quality of lather when applied to the face.... imo pre shave is kinda a gimmick...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Oasisdave

Oasisdave Active Member; radioactive

Instead of a preshave oil I started using Myrsol Emulsion or the Antisol. I get a much better shave using these products and no oily residue in the sink either!!

16. Jeeves of Hudson Street

Jeeves of Hudson Street Active Member

Myrsol does have some amazing products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Since going str8 ;). I've found the shaves more comfortable. I agree with @ Karl G on this. I've found a really good pso labeled as body oil at Home Goods. $7.99 on sale 50% off makes it $4. Here's the poop:
    Safflower seed oil
    Cotton seed oil
    Sweet almond oil
    Argan oil
    Olive oil
    Jojaba seed oil
    Coconut oil
    Essential oils (scent)
    WP_20161228_001.jpg

Demidog likes this.
  18. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I don't use it. Scientist in me says it just doesn't make sense from a chemical stand point. I start by soaking my face with a hot wet towel for a minute or so. Then as others have said - I found that "blooming/soaking" your soap for a minute or two and using the "bloom water" to wet you face just before applying the soap with brush really works great. However - to each his own. Whatever you enjoy - there is no wrong answer.

drone115b, Sara-s and dangermouse like this.
  19. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

A lot of people seem concerned about the interaction between the oil and the soap. When I use an "oil" oil, as one made from a recipe from the thread Sara-s started, I usually let it soak in for a sec. I apply the oil, then use the next few minutes to lather up my soap. From my experience, only coconut oil is slow to absorb, and that particular oil seems to add extra glide for me when the lather is applied. My skin absorbs the oils fairly quickly so negative interaction with the lather doesn't happen for me.

But if you don't need it, good on ya. Like Col said, to each his own.

Demidog, Spyder and Sara-s like this.
  20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Bees aren't supposed to fly, either ;)

Just messin', Col. You nailed it with "whatever you enjoy." :happy088:

Spyder, Col C and Sara-s like this.