How I've changed my health....(Long)

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Tiredricefarmer, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Super pumped you’re ok and hope you’re on the right track. Hang in there! :happy088:

Enrico and BamaT like this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I substantially reduced, virtually eliminating soda (both regular and diet) and sweet tea. I drink mostly water, unsweetened tea (hot and cold), and black coffee. I lost about 40 pounds in maybe three years or so, and got off blood pressure meds. I’ll probably never be a vegetarian, but I would like to eat more vegetables and less meat.

When I was growing up, no one in my family was vegetarian, but we are a lot of vegetable meals because that’s what we had. Now, there was always cornbread or biscuits, and no doubt ate too much of that. My parents were products of the depression, so survival was built into their mindset, and therefore we always had a big garden. Butter beans, peas, corn, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, green beans, peach trees, apple trees, strawberries, blueberries, and more were always in abundance. Canning and freezing vegetables was a way of life.

Sadly as I pursued a career and working long hours, we became fast food junkies, and making quick easy meals. I have started to garden a little with a small raised bed garden, but just don’t have the room for very much. One of our criteria for a home to retire to is enough land that I can have multiple raised beds that get enough sunlight for growing vegetables.

Great post. We are the result of what we put into our bodies.

Enrico, Tiredricefarmer and MoAllen like this.
  3. SeamusBorst

SeamusBorst New Member

Very happy for you; you seem to be on the right track.

Enrico likes this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've found that not only does what a person eat matters, but when they eat. I try not to eat past 7pm (of course there are exceptions). Also I work a far physical position, but my son does not; I've encouraged him to go for walks after work , which is also helps to relax after a stressful day.

:)

Tiredricefarmer likes this.