How long for a good shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Hairy Alaskan, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I've been using DE shaving exclusively for about 6 months now and it is still taking me about 15 minutes to get a decent shave.
    I have very dense coarse hair so I normally only get about 2 to 3 good shaves out of a blade but it seems to take a long time to get a smooth shave.
    My neck is super sensitive so I normally spend a lot of time carefully wittling the hair down. I normally have to make about 4 to 5 passes on it to get most of the hairs.
    Is this too long?

I don't necessary mind as I shave in the evenings to give my face time to heal but how long does it take you experienced guys to shave?

Thanks.

2. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

I think it will al depend on the hairgrow, the experience, possibly the materials one uses, the moonphase, or the time ones want to spend in the bathroom :D

To me, shaving is a moment of Zen. I prepare my shave well and shave a 4-pass routine for about half an hour.

Is this long? I dunno....... But it works for me and I feel very comfortable with it:happy088

And as Hunnymonster once said: "It's not a race to slice your face" :D

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

For me, a hot shower and a nice relaxing shave take about 30 minutes.

4. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

including prep and clean up about 15 to 20 minutes, give or take. Actual shave takes about 10 minutes on average.

5. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

10 minutes from prep to splash for a quick daily shave. If I had a means of heating towels to the degree they do in a barber shop I'd love to spend a little more time with a hot towel prep. I shower before I shave so that takes care of the majority of prep...

6. sffone

sffone Member

It takes me roughly 30 minutes, but I really enjoy my morning shave and the ritual associated with it. It is a zen-like experience that helps get me in the proper frame of mind to deal with the day ahead. I actually look forward to my morning shave and shave every day of the week. I shave with a straight razor, which requires a bit more time than a DE.

7. aubug

aubug Member

including quick shower, prep and clean up about 15 to 20 minutes for two passes

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There's a reason I get up at 4:30 in the morning - I DO NOT like to rush.

4:30 is when my feet hit the floor to get up and turn the alarm off.
    From there it's a quick pit stop in the bathroom.
    Then it's into the kitchen to pour my coffee - it was made ready the night before. The timer was set so it's freshly brewed when I come in.
    Approx. 4:40 Back to the bathroom for my shower.
    Approx. 4:55 Time to shave.
    Approx. 5:20 Clean up.
    Lights off in the bathroom at 5:25 - 5:30. Time to get dressed for work.

Too long? It's not your shower and shave. Leave me alone. ;)

9. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

15-20 on any given day. But I can do it in 10 if I leave a mess, or in 35 if I really want to enjoy myself.

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Shower and shave (face and head) takes me 20-30 minutes. I shower in 5 minutes. If I'm in a hurry, I can shave in 10 minutes, but it's one pass on my head and two on my face with acceptable but great closeness.

11. ACE$&8s

ACE$&8s New Member

Straight shave takes 15-20 minutes DE about 10-15 minutes. It only takes me about 5 minutes longer if I shave my head (DE), as I do the prep for both at the same time.

12. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

What is everyone's opinion on the MINIMUM time it takes to complete a good shave?

13. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I need 15 min minimum for a rushed unpleasant shave-from end of shower to end of clean-up. 25-30 for doing it right and enjoying it.

14. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Can't even begin to offer a standard as this is rather subjective. A "good" shave for me ranges anywhere from "The Best" somewhere around 30-45 minutes (i.e. a long, very hot shower with a Noxema face wash, turn on some good tunes, lather my face, strop and prep, three passes, post shave, brush my fangs and meticulously wax my stash, all while thoroughly enjoying some remarkable music) to Pretty Damn Good about 15 minutes (a couple minutes in the shower and 10-12 minutes for the rest. Typically these are on days when I over sleep and have to hurry it along. Not shaving or half stepping the shave is never an option though. After all, I can make up the work time on the back end and just stay later but I'll never get shave time back. :D

15. Gambrinus

Gambrinus Member

Not long enough! I take about 45-60 minutes, but I'm doing the complete chrome dome treatment and a hot shower.:happy005

16. groffjj

groffjj New Member

That's about the timing I like and I'm still using the damn disposables. My shower is a bit longer (hot water included in the rent) and my shave a bit shorter, but I love the quiet solitude. But 4:30?!? Are you nuts? LOL. I usually do mine in the evening while my wife is at work and once I finally get the kids to sleep. Ahhhhhh:)

17. newman

newman Member

Im new and i take about 30 mins or so for a nice shower and shave or untill i get kicked out of the washroom lol which doesnt usually happen

18. timj219

timj219 Member

I can finish in 10 if I have to. But that's only one or maybe two passes. Fortunately that doesn't happen often but when it does, even a one pass shave is better than before I left the dark side. If I am not rushed I usually take 20 - 30 minutes.

19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

+1...Can't say it any better than that !!

20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Man, sound great :))... after reading this....I think I'll sign off...Turn on some tunes, and all the above...See Ya Later...