How many aftershaves do you have in your rotation?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jbcohen, Dec 27, 2007.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Wow I haven't seen this thread in a long time. I wonder if Mark is still stuck on those 3 AS. Somehow I think he has a few more now. It's been about 5 years since he wrote that.:) I think he was still in his learning phase then.

As for me, I have many aftershaves. The only constant in their use is that I use witch hazel first.

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Balms:
    Nivea sensitive post shave

Splash:
    Aqua Velva: Ice Sport, Ice Blue, Musk
    Old Spice: Classic, White Water
    Mennen: Original Skin Brace
    Proraso: Menthol
    Barbasol: Brisk
    Pinuad Clubman: Original, Special Reserve, Virgin Island Bay Rum, Lilac Vegital
    Murray & Lanman: Florida Water
    Stevens: Bay Rum
    Boosters samples: Island BayRum, Oriental Spice, Aquarious, Polar Ice, Moss Wood, Jickney

I had a bit of After Shave "AD" in the beginning, but it's "MUCH" better now....:happy097:

3. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I used to love to use aftershave splashes: Green Skin Bracer, Original Aqua Velva, at one point Aqua Velva Frost Lime (long since gone), Walgreen's (Pinaud?) Bay Rum. I have even used original Listerine and it didn't sting at all but a real nice cooling sensation as it contained Menthol, Eucalyptol, and Thymol. Nowadays, my skin has become extremely dry and flaky due to a psoriasis type condition I have, so now what I do after shaving is slather on a bunch of intensive care skin lotion or some lotion with Vitamin E/Aloe Vera/Coco Butter etc... and it seems to work pretty well.

4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I have Osage Rub (not really my thing,) Thayer's Witch Hazel Rose Petal, Proraso Pre/Post Cream, Juicy Couture Dirty English, Grooming Lounge Best for Last Aftershave. I put the witch hazel on first to soothe my skin, wait a few minutes then put on a balm. I don't want to smell like an old lady, but luckily the rose scent is not that strong and doesn't conflict.

5. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

One.

H²O

I have a relative and some friends who are allergic to some scents.
    Their comfort and welfare are important to me.

My bath soap, Irish Spring, does not bother them.

If I am clean I need not cover up objectionable odours.

Mickey

6. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

I have zero in my den. I just cold water splash and my skin almost always feels good from the soap.

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Quite a few!

8. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

My routine is: warm water rinse to get the soap off, cold water rinse, Thayers WH without alcohol, Alum, then one of the following.

Osage Rub
    Iced Sub Zero Milk
    Pinaud Clubman
    Old Spice
    Aqua Velva Ice Sport

Just picked up an A/S cream from a local artisan, and have some lime Hai Karate on the way. The HK I got because that is what my dad always used. Maybe that was because we kept giving it to him for Christmas.

9. newb

newb Resident Newb

I have too many in my rotation.. It's too embarrassing to count.

10. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

One :) Aqua Velva! Best stuff there is, in my (very limited) opinion!

11. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

I have currently (and had for quite a while) the same 5 after shaves in rotation - Musgo Real, Speick and from D.R. Harris the Bay Rum, Arlington and Marlborough.

Since a couple of weeks however, I basically only use the Musgo, somehow I do not enjoy the D.R. Harris after shaves anymore (scent is still great, my face just doens't seem to like them any longer...)

12. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

I think I have about a dozen. Oh, wait a second, I just bought a bottle of Lucido here in Bangkok so that makes it 13.

Hmm... 13... not a lucky number of aftershaves so guess I will be quickly getting another one. :)

13. Monty Craig

Monty Craig Member

Pinaud Clubman Aftershave Splash

14. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

13 aftershaves.

15. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I only have two, the Proraso ones. New and old formula
    I have found that I prefer aftershave without any perfume in it, and those two seem to fit the bill.
    They have a discreet scent, but with little staying power.

However, I do have a few dozen samples, and more is on the way. Trying to find more splashes to add to my rotation

16. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I have a lot, but there always seems to be one more that needs to be tried... Current favorite is Clubman Vanilla!

17. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

I only have a few in rotation:

-Switzerland Pitralon
    -Tüff
    -Floid Blue
    -Bello Bay Rum
    -Pinaud Clubman
    -Alpa 378
    -Alt Innsbruck
    -Myrsol "Formula Extra"

18. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

19. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I like how everything's in alphabetical order (except for the talcs), it's the sign of an organized mind. As an engineer I appreciate that, although I must admit my kids think I'm a bit anal retentive:D

20. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

What do you see as the benefit of using alum after the witch hazel? I haven't tried this, as I thought alum was always used immediately after shaving and a cold water rinse, but I'm still learning.