How Many Passes of your SR do you do?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Willk, Mar 15, 2018.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Two or three depending on the razor.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

It depends. I usually do 3 passes WTG, ATG and XTG with touchup to get BBS or just a shade below BBS. I have never timed it, but I would say approximately 15 min. Sometimes, if it is one day stubble, then I may just do 2 passes for a DFS depending on my mood. I have completed 28 traditional straight and 24 shavette shaves. I can't wait to hit 100 shaves for each razor.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Keithmax likes this.
  3. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

2 or 3 depending on type and grind of razor .

SevenEighth and Keithmax like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Although an older thread I really appreciate hearing what others do. A member spoke of getting a blade so sharp they couldn't use pressure at all. During my first pass I am definitely using some pressure, not against the skin, put in the amount of force to cut the hair. While a sharper blade might cut more easily on straight strokes, around the corners and rounded areas the potential for blood loss could more easily occur.

I'm presently experimenting shaving off a stone edge vs diamond or chromium oxide. There might be more resistance felt on the first pass, but after two passes and clean up the results are the same as with the paste.

Keithmax and Trigger like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I always do three passes.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Two, plus a touch up, if needed.

Keithmax likes this.
  7. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Usually a couple then touch up.