How many passes with a cartridge?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Leo K., Dec 19, 2015.

1. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

As I shave everyday with the ProGlide Fusion (or Hydro 5) I'm feeling two passes a day is too much for my face. I'm going to try experimenting with one pass with touch-up on areas that aren't too sensitive. I'm actually amazed at how close a ProGlide provides on one pass. This is why the Fusion ProGlide is my favorite among all cartridges. I admit I'm a BBS chaser and don't understand why I try to get BBS everyday when it usually comes to grief! My desire is to learn to be satisfied with a DFS.

I want to know what you all do with cartridge shaving - your system or process and perhaps I'll get some ideas to try.

gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

You could always shave with the 5 blades one pass and do the touch up with the single blade in the back =)

Leo K. and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Omelmad

Or maybe buy cheaper disposables with 1-2 blades for the touch up =)

4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Try a shave oil under your shave cream it will allow you the comfort to achieve a BBS by providing protection. :)

Leo K. and Omelmad like this.
  5. Omelmad

1+ or Corn huskers

Robyflexx likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Something to think about... for you to make two passes with a five-blade cart is like me making 10 passes with my DE. My face can only take three passes, but that's me. Maybe...

And even then, there are some DE users who can only shave every other day.

Certainly use what you like, but only your face can tell you what is working.

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

There was a recent Gillette studying showing cartridge users, on average, take about 170 strokes per shave (incl. all passes).
    Now, that might sound like a lot...but count the next time you shave...I was surprised at how many I did.

gorgo2, Leo K. and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

Mach3 ...3 passes to get BBS
    Sensor Excel I only use 2 passes and that's enough for a DFS
    Fusion Pro Glide Power was one pass and a touch up for a BBS if I shaved every day, great razor.
    I want to get the new Fusion with the funny looking ball thingy but it has to be the power version as I reckon that helps.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  9. Omelmad

Daaaaaaaaaamn!

Darkbulb and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy097:

11. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Cartridge razor=1 pass for me
    DE razor=2 passes for me

Leo K. likes this.
  12. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Three or four with a cart but only once or twice on my neck, but I generally do the first pass with an injector - previously a beard trimmer. The injector reduces the growth and allows me to go against the grain on my neck. I have never really experienced clogging but this definitely prevents it. I cannot go against the grain on my neck with a cart...

13. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

2 passes every other day and a single pass on the "off days with mild touch up. BBS on the 2 Pass days but only DFS on the 1 pass + touch up days.

Leo K. likes this.
  14. jon radin

jon radin Member

only been sampling carts, Fusion Proglide manual, after a year of DE shaving. 19 shaves in on first Proglide cart. Tried single pass ATG and found irritation, tugging, went back to usual DE 2 pass XTG, ATG, and touchups as needed, with the cart and so far working just fine, mostly BBS or nearly so.

15. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Well I have found my perfect shaving technique. In my first pass, I use proglide (eight full length strokes only). Then in second pass, I pick up my trusty norelco shaver and get a BBS. It also buffs my skin and brings out a nice shine. :)

gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  16. ASD2

ASD2 New Member

One pass.

But I only use carts on vacation (don't want to travel with my DE and brush, don't have time to wet shave on vacation, and I don't need the relaxation of a shave on vacation).

engrsaks and Robyflexx like this.
  17. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

One pass for me but then I'm not after a BBS just a comfortable, respectable shave.

18. jon radin

jon radin Member

22 shaves on the first Fusion Proglide cartridge I have tried, rinse, dry, and strop, but not sure how many shaves left. If this is typical number of shaves I can get, 2 pass with no irritation and BBS or very close to BBS every day, the cost per year will be less than $60.00 per year for carts, a reasonable cost for what I am getting. Will be back to DE shaving for a while after this cart is done but than will tryout Mach3 and Sensor to see how they perform with the creams, soaps and techniques DE shaving taught me.
    Anyone else getting this much regular use from a Fusion Proglide Cart?
    How about Mach3 and Sensor carts?

19. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

On the rare occasion I use a Cartridge Razor I do my normal three pass shave wtg,xtg,atg and most always end up with a DFS+ to a BBS shave.

20. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I appreciate all the replies, I've a lot to ponder thanks to the responses here!

The last few days I've done two passes with my ol' post-war Gillette Tech, and doing clean up with my Fusion. I'm liking this!