How often do you shave your face and how many passes

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Ksblazer, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I was just curious how often do you shave and how many passes.

It seems as I can go about a day and a half before my stubble starts to bother me.

I also strive for a BBS almost all the time. So here is dilemma.

I'm ok with shaving every other morning. Can make it through 2 work days and still look ok. But if I do a 3 pass shave and touch ups my face gets razor burn and I have to hold off for a couple days.

I kind of would like to be able to shave everyday. One reason is so I can go through my soaps and creams a little quicker. The other is that I enjoy shaving and a good post shave feel to start out the day. I have been giving a 2 pass and touch ups a try the last couple of days and haven't had any issues. So I may be switching it up now.

2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Like everything else, YMMV. If you are getting razor burn, shaving less may be the answer...but maybe not. Revisit your soap choices, your razor blades, razor technique, etc.

If a 2 pass shave works, then your good. If not, check into the list above.

Carbide Mike, Shaver X and Ksblazer like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I shave daily and do four passes. I always shave in the morning and if I have an evening social engagement I will shave again doing 2-3 passes. If I shaved in the evening the morning shave will only be 3 passes.

If you are getting razor try using even less pressure, a 2 pass touch up or razor that is milder.

Carbide Mike and BeShaved like this.
  4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

As always, YMMV! If I have 2-3 days growth then I might do three passes, but that's pretty rare. Most days I do one pass WTG and then clean-up my neck and jaw area in an XTG stroke. It's a quasi 1.5 pass shave. That works great for me. I wish I could do a 3-pass shave every day, but I think that would be too much for my face.

5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I shave M-F for work(can't have security staff lookin' like a yeti). Two passes, WTG, XTG cheeks & chin ATG neck. Usually some touch up either jawline or lower neck. Rest Saturday. Sunday is the start of the blade week, on a two day growth. Razor change also. I have a three razor rotation. Hope this is helpful.

6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I shave everyday. I was getting irritation and razor burn quite a bit. What changed? I focused on my technique. I still get irritation and burn from time to time, but not as much. I've been able to get approx 10 shaves out of most blades and end up with little irritation in a couple of trouble spots. I do about 3-5 passes. I would focus on technique.

Carbide Mike, BeShaved and RetLEO-07 like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Every day, three passes.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. octoserge

octoserge Member

Every weekday, 2 passes. I aim for DFS and sometimes I even get close to BBS.

Carbide Mike and Matt0210 like this.
  9. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I'm not crazy about BBS and everything being perfectly smooth, so I settle for a DFS with no irritation. I have an R41, a really aggressive razor, and I do 1 pass every day, no problems.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Daily. Two passes. Three or four passes only on special occasions (like fancy restaurants, weddings, funerals, testing new razors...).

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

I try everyday but skip a day here and there. Usually 2 pass with touch ups on the neck with the straight. My neck hair grows 100 different directions. I don't get much razor burn if any.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Currently training up my shavette technique.
    Cheeks get N-S, S-N, and Ear towards nose. That's pretty much a WTG, ATG, & XTG.
    My jawline and lower gets N-S & S-N. I haven't worked in any E-W there.
    Most time I grab an aggressive DE for an ATG clean up pass.
    Gets me a DFS+/-, but so close I only shave every 36-48 hours.
    Shaving to a lesser degree never crossed my mind.

SharptoothC, BigMike and Carbide Mike like this.
  13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Everyday, three passes (usualky)

Carbide Mike likes this.
  14. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

350+ days per year. I don't shave on summer backpacking trips, and I miss an occasional day here or there, generally, I shave every day. 4 passes with a Feather or Polsilver. It's takes that many on this old goats beard!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I shave with three passes every day.

Seeking baby bottom smooth shaves is fine, but it is more important to get comfortable shaves than smooth shaves. Once you are getting consistently comfortable shaves, then it is easier to fine tune your technique, try different blades, etc. to get smoother shaves.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

What's the problem? Shave as often as you want to.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Big difference between how often I want to and often I can.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I perform two passes and a few touch ups five or six days a week. I aim for a comfortable, close shave. I've worked on my technique for the last couple of years to get the most out of two passes. I perform three passes every now and then for fun, but I can't tolerate it every day.

RyX and Carbide Mike like this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

But it's your face so you still know best.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I do every other day. I think my stubble doesn't grow as fast as some :)

RyX and Demidog like this.