How old is this stuff?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Freddie Jaye, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Freddie Jaye

Freddie Jaye Member

I recently scored an 8 oz bottle of MEM English Leather aftershave on ebay. I know that labeling/packaging designs mutate regularly.

The label on my bottle is exactly like this one, showing only the volume in ounces -- not the metric equivalent as similar labels do. No packinaging materials other than the ones used in shipping, and no label on the back

Any ideas on its age? It's not critical; I'm just trying to get a handle on it.

Thanks!

leather.jpg

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Don't have your answer, but here's a place to start looking - www.basenotes.net.

The cap on your 4 ounce looks much larger that the one on my MEM 8 ounce.
    English Leather AS.gif

brit and Frijolero like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm gonna ballpark it at around 1980, maybe a hair later or earlier. Good stuff.

4. Freddie Jaye

Freddie Jaye Member

Late in gettting back to you -- sorry! That's what I meant about packaging. My *photo* is of a 4-0uncer found on the web, but it's the same label as my 8-ouncer. Plus, the edges of your bottle are sharper than the ones on mine.

5. Freddie Jaye

Freddie Jaye Member

Thanks! As I said, not critical; just trying to satify my curiosity. And i agree; I have some of the current stuff from Wal-Mart, and there's a kind of "edge" to the aroma that's absent from the vintage.

brit likes this.