How (the experience) do you shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hercule, Aug 15, 2021.

?

What is the shaving experience for you (usually)?

1. As long as I can draw it out.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Effectively and efficiently, no more than necessary.

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. I have my routine and I'm not going to depart from it!

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. It's done when I get the results I like and I don't mind working for it.

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  5. Only as much as necessary (good enough for now, besides, I'll shave again before long)

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. I only reluctantly know when to stop (never good enough, keep going back to it hours later.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Yes, all of the above

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. Other (see below for elaboration)

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

After 60 years of shaving I have a perfected routine that I have. When a routine works, why change it.

2. Ice Tee

Ice Tee New Member

I am just learning again, after 40 odd years using a cartridge razors. Reading forums and differant ways of using my razor and bladeshas helped. So far I have used five differant razors and about five differant blades, think I have found the razor I like. Now to learn about building a lather and finding the right blades to suit my style.
    Loving this forum

3. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

Had to mark Other to fit my situation.

I do have a routine but will change if I find something or somehow to do the shave better, easier, etc. I don't seek BBS any more as doing so will sometimes irritate my neck and it just isn't worth it to me. Not a minimalist as I do like variety with razors, soaps, and a few blades and since each shave can be a little different I don't mind doing a little extra effort if necessary. Might add I don't have to shave everyday since I'm retired but do because I enjoy it so much now that I actually look forward to it.

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I wish the owner of original Rise Shaving Cream felt that way.

Tallships and Ice Tee like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I generally follow a daily routine for my shave. Although I'm not a gear collector or a fraghead, I enjoy changing items in my set up occasionally for a little variety. I associate memories with many of the items I use, and that makes my overall shaving experience even better.

I'm also a "technique trumps tools" believer. I get a kick out of finding ways to improve my shaving technique to get better results from my gear. I generally get good shaves from either mild or aggressive razors, and using shavettes for extended periods of time helped me with my overall skills tremendously. There's always room for improvement and for learning something new in my world. I also get a kick out of getting other guys started in our hobby by giving them gear and/or sharing what I've learned.

Bama Samurai, Shaver X and Keithmax like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a set routine that I have developed over time. While I vary tools and software my routine is pretty constant. Sometimes I change it do to time constraints. I do get consistent results so the technique is dialed in and the rest is just for my shaving pleasure and zen time.

Bama Samurai, brit and wristwatchb like this.
  7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

"Effectively and efficiently, no more than necessary" is my choice. I enjoy traditional shaving, but also need to get my rear out the door and get going. It is great to get a nice, close, comfortable shave each morning, and in a reasonably quick and efficient manner.

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Routine is my experience. It centers my mind.

Tedolph likes this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Have you tried technique solutions? The key to bbs neck ATG/XTG with taut skin.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Tallships and Tedolph like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Just pick one setup. Master it. Learn why you succeed and it will transfer across all styles.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Tedolph likes this.
  11. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

I'm just really getting started so I'm probably not the best person to answer. I can pull off good shaves but there's a higher chance that something will go wrong with someone like me who doesn't have much experience. I chose "It's done when I get the results I like and I don't mind working for it." because that's pretty much exactly the way my shaves go. The sad part is that sometimes I'm so focused on what I'm doing that I don't take as much time as I should or enjoy it like I want to. I usually have to wait two days for a decent shave so the poor shave days are a bummer! Hopefully, I can slow down, be determined, but also relaxed enough to just enjoy what I'm doing!

IAmTheJody likes this.