How To: Clean a DE Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by qhsdoitall, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hahaha really?

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

3. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

Kaboom is awesome stuff

gorgo2 and Omelmad like this.
  4. Omelmad

Haha don't worry about it. We do have some that foams up, the one I talk about is very "potent" I think the word is. It's pretty strong, but maybe That means I dont need to soak it very long.

I got the head clean as a whistle, some vinegar with boiling water (Short period), and then a few rounds of boiling water. And then "yes" dish soap with a brush.

I'm gonna need the Bang for the handle, it's hollow all the way through and I have used qtip, but it's very difficult to clean

5. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

What razor are you trying to clean?
    I think Bang is the Scandinavian version of scrubbing bubbles. Things I've found that have helped are: Tomato ketchup or toothpaste. Just use a toothbrush and make sure you rinse it really well otherwise the razor will smell like your toothpaste.
    Microfiber clothes are really good too.

Omelmad likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Assuming nickel finish, I now just use the dishwasher. Works like a charm.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Best cereal ever!

[​IMG]

8. Slow Joe

No way my wife would let me put a razor in the dishwasher. It would make things a lot easier.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If you put it where the forks go, or that little basket thingy, it can't do any harm.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Think I would rather have it smell like toothpaste than ketchup. :sick007:

Slow Joe likes this.
  11. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

When I get a nasty one it goes in the ultrasonic with a healthy amount of Dawn and hot water. Sometimes this can take awhile until the nasty stuff stops coming out. The water gets changed of course. Normal maintenance is just a scrub with toothbrush and a good rinse.

12. Slow Joe

Yeah I know. I just thinks she doesn't like the idea of a razor going into the same machine as the dishes.

And I have to disagree with you. Putting the razor in the cutlery holder would be dangerous ...for me when the wife founds out!!!

13. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

When I get a new-to-me razor I spend a bit of time cleaning it. I've found that I like soak it multiple times in Dawn & hot water followed with a soft toothbrush to clean; Flitz to polish; isopropyl alcohol to disinfect. To maintain a razor I've used I occasionally hit it with soapy water and a soft toothbrush. Gold plated Gillette razors need extra care and caution to products used because they have rather thin plating.

I have used Kaboom on a razor before, its very similar to Scrubby Bubbles.

Slow Joe likes this.
  14. Omelmad

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got this razor the other day =)

I think im gonna get that Cillit Bang before I try ketchup haha =) i dont want my razor to smell like food.

15. Omelmad

Thank you guys for the tips.

The thing is if you look at the razor in the post above you can see the razor. The head is cleaned and ready to use. But the handle is hollow, i cant get the brush in there. And I dont have pipe cleansers or something like that. That's why I need BANG!

16. Slow Joe

Is that a Gillette Sheraton that you just bought at a ridiculously low price?

Omelmad likes this.
  17. Omelmad

No no no.. Its a gillette long comb, that I know of