Tutorial How to grow, maintain, and wax your handlebar 'stache

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by swarden43, Dec 31, 2014.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The Krew Comb had some fumes so I've switched (for now) to a tube of Burt's. It holds just about as well and so far so good, but it too has an odd herbal-ish fragrance that takes getting used to having it jammed right up under the schnozz.

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Black tar and willpower.

richgem and swarden43 like this.
  3. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I imagine beeswax with an oil mixed in. In a tin, heat it over a stove. Then apply CAREFULLY. Probably could hold face over wood stove momentarily to melt wax.

richgem likes this.
  4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have been using my wax on the middle of the stache, and yours on the tips. As long as I don't over apply the wax, I can do this without a blow dryer and the mockery from my wife that comes with it. I add a little more wax at work if it starts to sag. Need about another month for the hair in the middle of my lip to reach the ends of my mouth, and that should make it easier.

swarden43 likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks to John @Screwtape for a tub of lavender wax. I've trimmed and begun taming my no style Walrus (left) towards a Gunslinger type (right).
    Walrus vs Gunslinger.gif

sdguero, Drygulch and swarden43 like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Bees wax can thinned with turpentine.

How about using bacon grease. :D

RyX likes this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Everything is better with bacon (grease).

RyX and Enrico like this.
  8. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

IIRC the old 1970s movie version of The Murder on the Orient Express showed Poirot readying himself for bed and using 1930s period equipment to maintain his waxed moustache. ISTR he had a little candle burner set to melt beeswax in and to heat a little set of tongs to curl the moustache (sort of like those old-time hair curlers). When he slept, he put the 'stache tips in a mini face mask to keep them from getting crumpled by the pillow, and probably to keep the wax off the bedclothes.

Enrico likes this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Anybody else growin' bars?
    1645989771576.jpg

gorgo2 and MoAllen like this.
  10. richgem

Oh no! Zombie handlebar thread resurrection!:scared011: :scared007::sick013:

11. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

Glad to see this "new to me" post resurrected. @swarden43 that is one epic stache. Last year, under cover of masking, I tried my best to grow an epic stache. I envisioned one like yours, but it was sadly disappointing.

My problem is that not matter how much wax I put in, one side would never hold and always droop down. I hated that it was asymmetrical. I used a home made mixture of 3 parts beeswax to 1 part coconut oil. This was my moustache 4 months in:
    IMG_20210402_223933223.jpg
    The trouble was, two seconds after the picture, one side would be drooping down like Dracula's fang. The lack of hold drove me crazy, and I trimmed things down.

I had been trimming the top, especially at the sides to give a trimmed look. Do you shave the top of your stache at all? I would love to try again, but the drooping drove me crazy. I don't mind putting the effort in, but there was no way to keep one side up. I may start growing the bars out again.

swarden43 and gorgo2 like this.
  12. swarden43

@ewk The only trimming I do is at the very ends. Pulled straight down, the ends come just past the chin. Longer than that and I trim. Also one side grows a bit faster than the other, so I'll trim for symmetry.
    What's your address? Send me a PM and I'll send a tin of what I use - Dirigo Blue, my own blend.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Good stuff!

14. swarden43

I went back to the first post.
    I've gotten a little grayer over the past 8 years!

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  15. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

I had been shaving at a 45 degree angle on the sides to have a neat English style with no bars, nothing beyond the side of the mouth. It looks tidy, but lacks the grand effect. I will let the entire moustache area grow freely now for a few weeks and see how things develop. Thank you very much for the offer. Does your wax blend require a hair dryer? Mine gets pliable enough in hot water without needing a hair dryer.

I kind of miss having the beeswax scent. It reminds me of a saddle in a barnyard.

16. richgem

Who hasn't? ;)

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  17. swarden43

If you haven't already, go back to the very first post. All the how-to info, including making my wax, is there :)

Been thinking about your wax. If you're able to soften it with hot water, it's probably too soft to hold sufficiently. Coconut oil melts at 75 degrees, providing no hold at all. You gotta figure, you're breathing warm air directly on your 'stache. Add the mask, or if it's hot outside, you need a stiff wax. Yes, I need the hair dryer to soften my wax to a usable consistency, but once I get it into the 'stache, then styled to my liking, it only takes a few seconds to cool off, harden up, and hold all day, regardless of how hot it gets.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    ewk likes this.
  18. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Great resurrection.

swarden43 likes this.
  19. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

I agree, as I was not around here to see it the first time. And it has inspired me to go for the "glorious facial hair feature."

swarden43 and Kilgore Trout like this.
  20. swarden43

@ewk If you're interested, PM me your address and I'll send you a tin of my wax.