Tutorial How to grow, maintain, and wax your handlebar 'stache

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by swarden43, Dec 31, 2014.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The Krew Comb had some fumes so I've switched (for now) to a tube of Burt's. It holds just about as well and so far so good, but it too has an odd herbal-ish fragrance that takes getting used to having it jammed right up under the schnozz.

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Black tar and willpower.

richgem and swarden43 like this.
  3. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I imagine beeswax with an oil mixed in. In a tin, heat it over a stove. Then apply CAREFULLY. Probably could hold face over wood stove momentarily to melt wax.

richgem likes this.
  4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Supporting Vendor
    I have been using my wax on the middle of the stache, and yours on the tips. As long as I don't over apply the wax, I can do this without a blow dryer and the mockery from my wife that comes with it. I add a little more wax at work if it starts to sag. Need about another month for the hair in the middle of my lip to reach the ends of my mouth, and that should make it easier.

swarden43 likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH! Staff Member

Thanks to John @Screwtape for a tub of lavender wax. I've trimmed and begun taming my no style Walrus (left) towards a Gunslinger type (right).
    Walrus vs Gunslinger.gif

sdguero, Drygulch and swarden43 like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Bees wax can thinned with turpentine.

How about using bacon grease. :D

RyX likes this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Everything is better with bacon (grease).

RyX and Enrico like this.
  8. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

IIRC the old 1970s movie version of The Murder on the Orient Express showed Poirot readying himself for bed and using 1930s period equipment to maintain his waxed moustache. ISTR he had a little candle burner set to melt beeswax in and to heat a little set of tongs to curl the moustache (sort of like those old-time hair curlers). When he slept, he put the 'stache tips in a mini face mask to keep them from getting crumpled by the pillow, and probably to keep the wax off the bedclothes.

Enrico likes this.