How to lather shave cream

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Will, Jun 13, 2008.

1. JimR

JimR Active Member

For those with no bowls...

I face lathered a tube cream for the first time this morning, and oddly enough it worked GREAT.

I wet my Omega brush, not really soaking it but saturating it.
    Shook it exactly THREE times. (Three is the magic number, yes it is!)
    Squirted a good snurdle of TBS Maca Root cream on the tip of my brush
    Spread the cream all over my face like buttering toast (The stiff Boar bristles help with this...)
    Started the swirling/scrubbing
    Added 4 or so drops of water after about 45 seconds.
    Ended up with great lather, enough for a good 2.5 passes...a touch on the dry side. Maybe another quarter teaspoon of water would have been a bit better, but I got a DFS with no razor burn or nicking, so I can't complain.

And they say boar can't do creams!

MObigfoot, Douglas Carey and BeShaved like this.
  2. melyus

melyus Well-Known Member

Good explanation the way is i like..

Regards!

Paul Turner and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. OneRand

OneRand New Member

Nice demo, thank you

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Im gonna try this to scrub my face...:D:D

5. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Well, that ought to do the trick! Dermabrasion with a nice scent. :whacky011

6. MrsMudkipz

MrsMudkipz New Member

Ok there has to be something I am missing. I still can't get a really good lather like posted here. I miss the mark too wet or too dry, I just can't hone in on the right amount. I will give the direct lather a try next go.

Douglas Carey and BeShaved like this.
  7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    What are you using?

8. Teiste

Teiste New Member

I think is the best method too,or make a hole on the brush,put a small amount of cream on it,bub it and make lather straight on the face.

9. BYUTexan

BYUTexan New Member

I have a sample of TOBS cream and it looks harder than that?

10. du212

du212 Well-Known Member

Not bad but I suggest you to use a brush
    [​IMG]

:rofl:

11. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

I use mainly creams and I put the bush into the cream. I want to get a little cream on the end of the bristles. Through experimentation I have found the exact amount I need. This works really well for me.

12. yandi

yandi New Member

Creating Lather with Shaving Cream

My husband lather breaks down really fast and I don't know why? The main reason that a quality product that is known to create a good lather breaks down fast, or doesn't otherwise hold up, is usually due to the type of water. For example, hard water with a lot of minerals is especially notorious for not making optimum lather because of the mineral content. Whereas softer water is known to create a better lather that does not break down as fast. Both will provide a warm lather and elevate the shave, however the softer the water the better the lather quality.

In addition, even the same location can have variances in this respect. For example, in our location when the city has added a chlorine boost to the water system, not only can you smell it coming out of the tap but the lather breaks down much faster. So if you wonder what's happened when your technique remains the same and you are making great lather and then things change - it could well be the water. In this event the only control you have is to purchase and use a distilled or purified water, or install a water softener. Don't get hung up on these details unless you notice this situation and want to try something different that can further enhance your shaving experience.

13. Loner16

Loner16 New Member

Too bad all the pics are gone from this thread.. I could have used the tutorial.

14. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

The only time I used creams was while I was in the service, and I did it like you except I smeared it around a little. Carrying a shave mug around was just too much a pain and it was yet another thing to flunk on inspection.

15. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

While we work on getting those pics back, have a look at this thread and see if it helps.

16. Loner16

Loner16 New Member

That's what i'm looking for!!

Thank you...

17. puaa

puaa New Member

Thanks...

Thank you - this is extremely helpful.

18. Will

Will Nevermind

My fault, been a long time since I was on photo bucket...

but the link is a darn fine one. much better then mine.

19. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Nice work there gents, I wish I could smell that lather through the screen:o

20. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

You are right and as a newbie another TSD friend sent me to the Matic site on lathering and helped a lot. The butter knife in the picture for the creams is a great idea.::lam