How to lather shave cream

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Will, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'm with you...I think face lathering is best as well...I also like to put a medium dab on the end of the wet brush and start lathering on my face, adding water as needed...nothing like it for me...I enjoy the time spent with brush on face...a little sad when lather is ready, the process feels so good...:))

MacDaDad, Douglas Carey and BeShaved like this.
  2. Michel Jhon

Michel Jhon New Member

I think it would work because the heat has opened up your hair follicles and so the skin is still soft and clean that you won't nick yourself or anything.

Douglas Carey and BeShaved like this.
  3. Borderboss, Douglas Carey and Taipan like this.
  4. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I tried your method this morning and was quite surprised. It worked very well. Thanks for the heads up.

Douglas Carey, BeShaved and crackstar like this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My pleasure to be able to help! :)

Douglas Carey likes this.
  6. Nicktheswede

Nicktheswede Member

Nice pictures. Hopefully this will help some beginners. I had trouble when I started out with getting the right lather.

7. Mark

Mark New Member

Just wanted to say thanks for this post. I'm new to wetshaving and tried using shave cream (TOBS Jermyn Street) for the first time last night. The difference between it and my first shave was night and day!

8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I can't wait for tomorrow. Watched a few of the youtube videos and am very interested to see the difference between my Proraso soap and my new tube of EJ cream. Incidentally, the scent, OH MY GOD it's heavenly compared to my Proraso IMHO.

UPDATE - I don't know what it is exactly, but I'm finding that EJ cream lathers much easier and feels far better for me than Proraso. My skin feels a little more harsh after using the Proraso, I'd like to chalk it up to bad lathering on my part, but when I've done several iterations and it goes on my hand slick as hell and looking perfect, you'd think it wouldn't leave my face feeling like the Sahara. Oh well, everyone's face is different! C'est la vie lol.

9. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how to use the shave soap stick? I have Palmolive's shave stick and just rubbed it on my beard and then with a wet brush lathered. I've heard Palmolive is great, but I can't get it to lather for me.

10. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

11. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Justin. I'll take a look. I keep trying ways of making it go a bit quicker and get away from the shaving bowl. I go to the link now.

12. Joel Couch

Joel Couch New Member

It's posts like this that I find useful while trying to learn from scratch. Thanks for taking the time to put this together, the pictures really help.

13. eeric

eeric New Member

holy jeebers, that's a nice lather.. I'm going to have to go practice now.

14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I've been using a Suribachi for the past few months. It's been working very well with all of my brushes and it's excellent with hard soap, sticks and cream. I just spread the cream around the inside of the bowl. The small indentations holds it in place and in seconds I have lather. Great product.

MObigfoot and Douglas Carey like this.
  15. Rafen

Rafen Member

This what a great explanation. I do have one question...where did you get that shaving bowl from I really like it?

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If you're wondering about the bowl in the first post, that was from over four years ago, and it's been quite a while since Will has been 'round these parts.
    Just sayin'.

17. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

I just tried a shave cream for the first time this morning. I think I am going to stick with shaving creams. Are the scents stronger with shave creams than soaps?

18. nathan

nathan Active Member

great info thanks

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    In my experience, the shaving creams have a stronger scent than the matching soaps. However, not all shaving creams are strongly scented.

20. Jen

Jen New Member

Very cool! Thanks for the pictures, they are very helpful :)