Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

I made a batch with coconut oil and added a sandalwood oil to it and it looks as though it turned out pretty well. The scent is slightly woodsy but a faint smell of tequila coexists with it. It is a pretty unique smell. I rather enjoy it honestly. The only question that I am waiting to be answered is how it will react over the next few days. Coconut oil when cold will harden and become a solid. I have seen coconut oil begin hardening even around room temperature so I will have to wait and see if it will completely harden or if the coconut oil will try and separate from the other ingredients and harden alone or if it will all stay a liquid.
    However I wonder if it becomes a solid if I could just use it as though it was a soap and although it would not produce a lather I could maybe apply it that way before I move on the the next step of my shave? Any thoughts on that idea?

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Another way to use coconut il is to use a small amount, mixed with another oil, so it should not harden.

mylesc1234 likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

So maybe you'll wind up with a preshave balm instead of a preshave oil. I used TSD preshave balm with great results.

4. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

Nivea sensitive shave balm is a great buy in my opinion. It has never done me wrong. How would you compare TSD balm to this? If you have tried both.

5. swarden43

I believe the Nivea is a post-shave balm.
    The TSD is a pre-shave balm and is some fantastic stuff. http://www.theshavedenshop.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=212

6. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

7. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

The coconut oil has indeed made the oil into what feels like a balm.
    uploadfromtaptalk1442497404469.jpg

Tdmsu and Norcalnewb like this.
  8. swarden43

All that's left to do is try it and let us know how it goes.

Tdmsu and Seabs like this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yes, please do let us know. I will be very curious.

Seabs likes this.
  10. swarden43

By the way, if you've never used a pre-shave balm before, folks have different ways of using it.
    I have:
    - Put it on before I shower, letting my face marinate with it on for half an hour, then wash it off in the shower, then shave.
    - Put it on just after a shower, let it sit while I get my lather whipped up, then shave.

I only apply before the first lathering up for the first pass. Other apply it before every pass. Gotta see what works for you.

Also, DO NOT apply it heavy. The thinner the layer you can spread out, the better. Too much will only gunk up our brush and razor.
    Speaking of the brush, I've never had an issue with it gunking up with pre-shave balm or oil. Again, the key being apply it THIN.

mylesc1234 likes this.
  11. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

I tried it out and it went back to being an oil. Not sure if it was the temp in my house but it went pretty well. It's helped the blade glide over my face and grab the hairs much easier. I really enjoyed it and it was really easy to make so that is a plus.
    I will try and make a batch with an oil other than coconut and see how it does in comparison at some point.

ShaneS likes this.
  12. Jeremy Crossland

Jeremy Crossland New Member

I think I have a really hard time applying a 'light' layer when i am really in need a shave? How's everyone doing that?

13. swarden43

Not sure I quite understand. Are you intending to use oil alone to shave? The P in PSO is "pre", before the shave, not for the shave.

I use it as a very thin layer under my lather. I pour about a dime size puddle of oil into my palm, then dab a finger or two into it and rub it onto my beard.

14. MObigfoot

MObigfoot Active Member

Just a thought. I made some PST that contains 75% almond oil. Will / Could this be a problem for a friend who is allergic to nuts? Has anyone ever experienced this?

15. Jeremy Crossland

Jeremy Crossland New Member

Yes, that's what I am doing; maybe I am just being OCD about it; just seems like I end up using 2 or 3 dime sized puddles to cover my face when I have some scruff.

16. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

I was lightly dipping an older brush into it and using that to add it to my face little by little. But you could also use a dripper bottle. That would work.

17. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

Most people allergic to nuts only have reactions to ingesting something. However there are exceptions and I would be on the safe side and make him a new batch. It's only a few dollars and it is not worth the risk.

MObigfoot likes this.
  18. MObigfoot

MObigfoot Active Member

Thanks mylesc1234

mylesc1234 likes this.
  19. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

If you mix up a bunch of this pre-shave oil, you can also use it for a pre-shower hair and scalp soak. Really since the castor oil comes in 6oz+ bottles, unless your giving away a bunch of pre-shave you have plenty of ingredients.

I take a palm full of oil mix and work it into my hair and scalp 10-30mins prior to shower. (Just work in a blurb at a time to start untill you get an idea how much it takes for your volume of hair) You can pre-heat it for a "hot oil treatment" if you want; I usually don't heat it. I take my shirt off first so that I don't get oil on it, and try to limit the amount of oil so it doesn't get too drippy while I'm letting it soak.

I then shower and shampoo. I shampoo twice, with a 'cleansing' type shampoo. Be very careful in the shower, it will be slick with the oil rinsing out. I try to do this once a week as part of my Sunday routine. I use tea tree oil and mint oil as the essential oils.

Hair and scalp feel very clean and soft afterwards. Always a treat!

mylesc1234 likes this.
  20. Greg Becker

Greg Becker Member

I read a bunch, researched "base" and essential oils, and finally settled on a first effort:

Castor, safflower, and grapeseed oils in equal parts. Safflower because it's a natural anti-inflammatory, grapeseed because of the consistency and less fragrance than olive oil.

Lavender essential oil to make 1% of the base oil volume. (I like the lavender smell, and it's a good irritant reducer).

At this point, I shave with only this. Haven't gotten into the bowl/brush area of experimentation.

Yet.