Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Penguin660

Penguin660 New Member

I made a batch that was: 2 parts castor oil, 1 part EVOO, and 1 part "Hollywood Beauty Tea Tree Oil", which I got at Walgreens with the Castor Oil. I used the Tea Tree Oil as an experiment, for added oils and such. Works great.

Sara-s likes this.
  2. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

Made a batch using witch hazel as my oil. Being as it is good for exzema and I am cursed with such a thing. As well as the fact that witch hazel has many benefits such as clearing blackheads and giving relief to irritated skin and cuts. Which is perfect

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I see WH as being too thin with a very rapid dry time to serve as any kind of preshave lubrication. But if it works for you....

4. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

I haven't tried it yet I just made a batch. Well then I will give updates after I try it!

5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I used the following recipe to make a another PSO

1 part grapeseed oil
    2 parts almond oil
    1 part castor oil

5 drops Citrus (orange) EO
    5 drops Cedar EO
    20 drops Patchouli EO

I applied some after making the batch mainly to test the scent. It was 4 hrs after shaving and I did feel some warmth and mild irritation on my cheeks after applying the oil for an hour or so afterwards. This morning my face is feeling extremely smooth and soft.

I will be trying it out preshave this morning and watching for any signs of irritation prior to shaving. Almond oil is the only product in the recipe that Ive not used and could be the culprit?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  6. swarden43

So how was it?

7. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

It was actually better than the other I made with the coconut oil. The coconut oil will thicken and so it gets in between the blade and cakes up. The witch hazel was much thinner and it didn't dry my skin. I decided to use a Derby blade because it isn't my favorite and I was able to get a nice 3 pass shave from it so the oil definitely did it's job. I'd recommend it.

8. Ryan Hoover

Ryan Hoover Member

I love my AOS oil. But I thought the thickness is what makes it effective. Now I'm wondering if a thinner oil would be harder to apply - run all over the place, etc.

If I make my own, I want a "warm" scent. Mint is cooling, I want a warming: what do you recommend? Citrus? Ginger? Cinnamon? Others?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Bourbon? :)

Spyder likes this.
  10. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Cedar and Bergamot together make a great woodsy/citrus scent that I would consider warm.

JacobRayRazors and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. Ryan Hoover

Ryan Hoover Member

Where do I get Bourbon essential oil??? lol

Douglas Carey likes this.
  12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I would ask Jack Daniels. :)
    You could also try the people at
    Www.route66.com
    I think they use it in one of their soaps.

13. ejmolitor37

ejmolitor37 Member

I have been making this for a bit now, I found that using 2 parts olive oil and 1 part castor oil then essential oil to my liking worked great for me. The first time I made it I did just the opposite and it sucked bad. I actually use eucalyptus EO, I love the scent and luckily have not noticed any adverse effects. I use it in my home made beard oil as well. Might be the brand I use is not that strong, I did read that some EO's can burn the skin, ouch. Kinda fun making your own stuff and cost effective also. Good post Sara-s :D

Sara-s, youngunn and gmaugie007 like this.
  14. swarden43

Good reminder to ---> *click*

ejmolitor37 likes this.
  15. JacobRayRazors

JacobRayRazors Active Member

I really like a blend of cinnamon and ginger, with a small note of vanilla.

ejmolitor37 likes this.
  16. Ahh Oui

Ahh Oui Well-Known Member

For those folks who've used a bit of liquid vitamin E, where does that fall in viscosity? Also, curious about the thickness of that liquid lanolin.
    Just wondering if they're closer to olive oil or castor oil.
    Thanks!

17. JacobRayRazors

JacobRayRazors Active Member

It's viscous, closer to castor oil.

Ahh Oui likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Made mine:
    2 TBSP Olive Oil
    2 TBSP Grapeseed Oil
    2 TBSP Sweet Almond Oil
    2 TBSP Jojoba Oil
    2 TBSP Castor Oil

I've only used it once. Hot shower and face scrub, applied a small bit when I got out. Hot rag for a couple minutes, then lathered up. Can't say if it felt slicker, but I got a fantastic shave! Left my skin feeling great.

Robyflexx and Tdmsu like this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

As long as it works :)

J.R. and Robyflexx like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

I also just tired splitting a little of this batch off to a second bottle and added some tea tree oil to it. I wanted this to be scentless, and tea tree has an unpleasant scent. I will try that too, and see if it needs something to kill the tea tree. I think the smell won't last to post shave. good stuff!