Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Like @jimjo1031 said, essential oil is just to make it smell good, and don't use TOO much. Use as much as you want, remembering that you can always add more, but can't remove any if you've used too much.
    No, it does not affect the way it works, unless you just use so much the smell is so strong you can't get it to your face!

ob1page likes this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Too much essential oil can irritate skin. So I wouldn't use more than 2-3 teaspoons (10-15 ml.)

Robyflexx and ob1page like this.
  3. atbcrash

atbcrash Member

Sounds good. I have lavender and peppermint. (maybe a few drops each)

4. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I used a 3 oz container for mine. 7 drops of mint were plenty. It took 30 drops of grapefruit though before I could smell it. Start light and slowly add, too much peppermint will irritate your skin.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Very true. Peppermint, spearmint or eucalyptus should be used sparingly near your face.

6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

Thanks for this, I might give this a shot.

Sara-s, jimjo1031 and ob1page like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

So much cheaper than buying

Sara-s and ob1page like this.
  8. Mike Powell

Just made a batch. Used Essential Oil called Thieves. Ill let you know how it works in a bit

9. Mike Powell

Great scent and really smooth shave.. Great recipe, it will be used again for sure. Now, the true test is when the wife can smell it and we will see what she thinks.

Sara-s, ob1page and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

What does that smell like?

Mike Powell likes this.
  11. Mike Powell

Wife says it smells like cloves.

12. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Demidog likes this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

14. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Thanks for this recipe. I never would've guessed that it would be so simple. I spent days looking for a decent and affordable pre-shave oil when I started, and I wish that I had seen this first. Lately I'm finding pre-shave creams more to my liking though and I wonder how much the recipe for a creamy consistency would differ from an oil.

Sara-s and ob1page like this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

To get a creamy consistency needs more ingredients, including water, an emulsifier and a preservative. (Once water is added, bacteria can grow.)

Demidog likes this.
  16. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Sounds like making yogurt. Now that TSD shop is closing, maybe I'll muster up the willpower to try replicating the formula for the preshave balm.

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

One of the sites I buy oils & supplies from is www.brambleberry.com. They also have a lot of recipes on the site, so it might be worth a look, for research, even if you don't need any supplies.

Demidog and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. n8wwd

n8wwd Member

Hello!
    I've been using Shave Secret, and yes, it tends to 'gunk' up the blades.
    Of all the oils listed, I haven't seen any use of Coconut Oil. (Unless I overlooked it....)
    Also, Shave Secret contains Menthol, to (I assume) make the skin 'goose-bump' that makes the hair stand up.
    Is there a concoction that contains that to DIY?

19. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I have used coconut oil in the past, but it tends to clog the pores in my skin more than @Sara-s's recipe. Also, since it hardens at room temperature it is hard to mix with other oils or fragrances unless you melt it first. But, it really works nicely to setup good glide and condition your skin. My 2 cents.

Though, I use coconut oil for popping corn. None better. :)

Demidog likes this.
  20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how soluble menthol would be in oil(s). I would bet that it isn't soluble at all. Menthol is readily soluble in alcohols.

Demidog likes this.