Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Any issues with jojoba oil not mixing well with other oils?

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

No it mixes just fine

3. Andrepartthree

Andrepartthree New Member

Sara thanks so much for posting this :) ... I have some dumb newbie questions however that I'm hoping someone can help me with :)

I'm not sure if I'll have much luck given that I think you are all much better shavers than me :p ... that is, you're all professional enough to use "real" razors and not an electric wet/dry razor in the shower like I do :p ... but hopefully someone on the forum uses (or has used) an electric wet/dry razor too? (if this helps any it's one of those norelco philips triple head shavers with the 3 circular cutting blade type things).

What I'm wondering is this... given enough time and use, will the olive oil eventually cause the inner workings of my electric razor to "seize up?" I know oil is supposed to be good for the cutting devices itself (the heads in this case I would guess?) in terms of maintenance and so forth :) .. but I'm wondering if the oil will eventually seep into the motor/working type thing underneath the razor heads (there's three spinning plastic rod type things that fit into the three shaver heads that rotate the shaver heads such that they cut). Or am I just worrying too much? I'm using about a tablespoon's worth ... (thinks - maybe tablespoon and a half?) ... of oil/castor oil mixture as a preshave.

Also for anyone who shaves in the shower - how long do you let the olive oil/castor oil sit on your face to soften the hair before shaving? I've been giving it a full minute but wondering if I should go longer than that.

The olive oil I'm using is the "Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil organic".. as a new member not sure if I can post product links in here but at Walmart's website it's Walmart # 557800810 if you look it up that way in the search box.. also got the castor oil from Walmart, "Humco Castor Oil USP, 6 fl oz " Walmart # 4074311

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and replies :) ...

4. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I would add to you pre shave process ... washing face with a glycerin soap this hydrates the hairs preps them For cutting. I’m not sure about electric but, for DE or straight razor. The oil moisturizes skin and helps with “glide”, I use olive as a part of my diy pre shave oil. Other kitchen oils will absorb into skin better. I usually apply the pre shave oil to freshly washed wet face. Lather then shave. Prolly not the answer you are looking for.... but I won’t hurt much to experiment.

If you want to start, or learn to use a DE razor.... say the word i’m Sure there will be many hands to help get you started..... you are pretty much already wet shaving. I don’t know of anyone that has learned to shave with a DE razor ever go back to anything else.... it is that good of a shave...

5. Andrepartthree

Andrepartthree New Member

Thank you Leclec13 I appreciate that :) .. if I end up wrecking my electric razor I may very well end up going with a DE (stupid newbie question I'm guessing you mean Double Edged razor right? Or that's what google tells me :) ) razor if I end up wrecking my electric razor :) ... in the meantime though since I spent the money on the electric razor I feel like I'd be wasting the money if I didn't use it :p (I know I know, non electric gives a better shave :) )

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yes. DE does indeed refer to the double-edge safety razor.

Leclec13, Trigger and brit like this.
  7. RobertTaylor

RobertTaylor Member

Hi
    I use mineral oil (baby oil)
    And coconut oil mixed
    All so us coconut as a hair cream/conditioner and as a sun cream to

Leclec13 likes this.
  8. lgbran

lgbran New Member

I’m also not afraid to finish up with some preshave oil with my Gillette dialled down to 1.

Sara-s likes this.