Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I've always found that a bit thick. Do you have any trouble applying it to your skin?

2. leonidas

leonidas New Member

....if you use too much, it can be thick.....

....i use very little and rub it well into my palms and then apply.............

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Oh, that makes sense. As long as it works for you, I am all for it.

4. Gairdner

Gairdner Well-Known Member

I have got to try this at some point. I've always looked upon pre-shave preps as expensive and unnecessary but with good quality EV olive oil in the house and Lavender EO, all I need is the castor oil. Thank you very much indeed for sharing this! :)

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My pleasure! Castor oil is easy to get.

6. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Hi Sara-s
    Well, you inspired me so I collected the ingredients today and have made up a batch. I varied the ingredients though (for no other reason than it's fun to play). Here's what I used:
    Almond oil. 50ml
    Castle oil. 20ml
    Glycerine. 20 ml
    Lime Essential Oil. 2.5ml
    I'll try it out on tomorrow's shave and let you know how I get on! Thanks for the idea.

7. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's Castor Oil btw. Good ole' auto-correct on iPad strikes again!

8. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Tried the concoction this morning and was very pleased with the result. The only down-side to using an oil rather than the Proraso pre, is that ones hands get very oily and slick too. So a good hand wash is needed before the razor handle can be gripped without slipping.
    But, generally, I have to say that I'm impressed with the experiment and will certainly carry on using.

Mike Smart and Sara-s like this.
  9. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

I just got back from Vegas (Did very well thank you). I used this for travel and was very pleased with it. Did not have to travel with bottles of liquid.
    http://www.vitacost.com/thayers-witch-hazel-with-aloe-vera-60-pads

10. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

I added more of the lime essential oil to my mix as the fragrance was too weak. In fact, I added the whole 10ml. Much better now.
    I've been rotating the oil with my usual Proraso sensitive pre/post cream. I have to say, that I get a better, smoother, more enjoyable experience with the oil. Thanks for the idea and formula.
    Costing the ingredients, 100ml has cost £8.90. About half that was the essential oil.

11. RJLIONHEART

RJLIONHEART New Member

Can I use glycerin in place of castor oil?

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I don't think they are interchangeable.

13. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I made some the other night and used it this morning. It seems to help with slickness but I think I made it with to much castor oil. I eyeballed it when I made it so no biggie. I think I'll use it a few times and squeeze in some more almond oil. I did put some lime eo in it and its very refreshing. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

Sara-s likes this.
  14. benjiboy

benjiboy Member

Wow. Thanks. I'll have to try this!

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I hope you will tell us about your results.

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sara, thank you!
    I just mixed up a small batch of your pre-shave oil - 3 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp castor oil.
    I kept it small just in case I didn't care for it. I'd hate to waste too much.

As a regular user of the unscented AoS pre-shave oil, I must say your mixture is right up there with the big boys - great stuff. I'll be making more, for sure, only I'll be looking for some EO to add a bit of fragrance. AoS says it's unscented but I detect a bit of Juniper and balsm in there. Maybe that's just me, but I like that scent.

Question for you - you mention jojoba, grape seed, sweet almond, macadamia as options. What scent, if any, do these have?

Omelmad likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Those have little or no scent, that I can detect.

18. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Thank you for this.I have to try it out.Seems easy to do (even for a guy like me ;) ).Is it a problem to add a little menthol?! I don´t think so or?!

Greetings
    Thorsten

19. ScottZ

ScottZ Member

Thanks for the tutorial. I made up 2 batches, 4 oz with olive oil and another 4 oz batch with hazelnut oil, just because I had some.

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You could certainly add some menthol. Start with a small amount (1 or 2 ml.). You can always add more if you want is stronger.

ChiefShaver likes this.