how to tell the difference: bone or ivory?

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by mdpmedia, Jun 3, 2020.

1. mdpmedia

mdpmedia New Member

I am on the 50th of my 150 SRs acquired from an estate sale. Unfortunately I have cracked several scales trying to remove the pins. I think the very best way to remove a pin is to use a drill press. Then after getting some scales that weren't ruined I thought I would delve into knowing how to better distinguish between the various types of scale materials.

Firstly, I found this URL explaining some tests that can be done to a scale with an unknown material composition. I'd like you to read this article and agree or disagree with its contents by leaving more posts on this thread:

https://www.streetdirectory.com/eto...now-what-that-handle-is-made-from-ejaaca.html

Secondly, I created three side-by-side comparative examples of scales that are either bone or ivory because they all three passed the hot pin tests since no marks were left any on any of these three different scales. All are definitely not celluloid since the hot pin did not produce the characteristic nasty smelling fumes from the melting celluloid from the hot pin.

Here are my questions about these three sets of scales:

1) According to the above article ivory leaves the striations from the cutting saw blades. Can bone also exhibit these same cutting marks if cut with a similar saw?

2) What about the porosity referred to in the article that is indicative of bone scales? Do any of these show this characteristic? I am having real difficulty knowing how to tell the difference and need some guidance from the scale experts.

3) Can ivory scales also have small dent-like marks similar to the porosity that bone exhibits?

4) Finally, if it is determined that a scale is definitely
    ivory,
    how can one avoid buying or selling an elephant's ivory tusk which is strictly prohibited? Remember that several other mammals like the walrus also have ivory tusks but I have no clue how to go about knowing which is which.

Thanks
    Mark

PS: Both examples, A and C, display raised 'width'-orientated saw (possibly) marks while example B has raised striations extending the entire 'length' of the interior part of the scale.

three examples of either bone or ivory scales of SRs.JPG

Edison Carter likes this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If you're speaking of the 2016 ban on ivory sales ....... I'll say this it's foolish to ban items that are made with a material that were constructed long before the original ban. The list of items to be destroyed would be ridiculously long and a terrible waste. For example in less than an hour I could get my hand on several pounds of legal ivory but have no way to prove it (old piano keys).

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but to worry whether an antique razor is ivory or not is a great way to have said valued items destroyed. Items must have documented proof of being over 100 years NOT to be destroyed.

Today it's legal to construct items from camel bone, but next year you could be looked on as a criminal when selling it if they ban its sale.

I'm not picking, mocking, or harassing the OP just the law.

I would fully understand if Moderators remove my post.

:shaver

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If it has schreger lines, it's ivory. They will look like a little chevron or diamond pattern on the surface of the piece.

If it has holes or pockmarks, it's bone.

Your bottom two examples are clearly bone. The top one, I'm unsure of.

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

From the pics (The worst way to judge)

I agree with @PLANofMAN

To the OP

Here is one thing I learned doing the meets across the country, Once you see and feel Real Ivory you will just know from then on

Hint: The pics you gave took away many other clues that are there,, next time let us see the Pins and especially the Thickness of the scales even the Make of the razors can be a clue

Edison Carter and Enrico like this.