How to use witch hazel

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Flatfish, Sep 5, 2008.

1. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Try your local "big box" store. If not there, I would go to the grocery store next. Pharmacies tend to be more expensive.

If you have oily skin than the one with alcohol should be fine. If it's not, than try the alcohol free.

2. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Well Thayers being the best, offers WH both w/ alcohol and w/out. I have both varieties and think they perform very similarly. Also they can generally be found at natural/whole food stores. GNC and health stores also carry it.

3. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Thanx for the Thayers reference Shep. I have been to their web site now and the products look exactly like what I have been after. I noticed you get them from GNC stores and I went digging - unfortunatley our Canadian GNCs do not carry it. I have checked a couple of spots indicated on the Thayers site for outlets up here and they seem to have closed! I looked at where to pick it up in Washington state and it seems to be in all kinds of stores! Looks like I might have to make another trip across the border. At least I won't be bringing up white powder this time!! I might just order from the website, but Washington and Oregon are great, I just need the excuse for a drive!

The witch hazel I have always posed to is the stuff at the drug store - 'distilled' witch hazel. It typically has 14% alcohol up here and the product contains almost zero tannins. I think it is the tannins which are reputed to be good for healing nicks - so the drug store witch hazel really is no good for shaving applications. I don't know if it is the alcohol that kills the tannins or the process.

Gonna get me some of that thar Thayers one way or the other. The sampler pack looks like a fab choice - THANX!

4. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

No problem. As long as you're making the drive anyway. It's a fair ways to drive just for a $9 bottle of WH!!! :D

I've used the drugstore brand as well. It's called Dickinson's around here. It wasn't bad, but full of alcohol and very medicinal smelling. The Thayers is oh so much nicer. I have the Rose, Lemon and Cucumber. I splash some on after every shave. Let it dry down and then follow w/ an AS of choice. I just find it helps in the soothing, calming, toning department. Good hunting.

5. omegapd

omegapd New Member

This is the only stuff I can find locally and it smells awful. I wound up mixing half the bottle with cheap Dollar Store Brut-like cologne and it helped quite a bit. It gives the menthol cooling feeling from the Brut and still works well on nicks and cuts. Eventually, I'll have to order the Thayers too...

6. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply nearby they sell a WH that is store brand or some other vendor they carry. Have never used it myself, but it might be worth investigating. Dickinsons actually smells like tequila to me. The smell only lasts momentarily and it's gone though.

As mentioned, Thayers is the way to go eventually.

7. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Thayers?

I have been using WH for years and think it's a great finishing touch to my shave. However, I have never heard of Thayers. Sounds really nice. Thanks for the tip. :D

8. Mike257

Mike257 New Member

9. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Thayers sample pack

I ordered the Thayers sample pack. I was annoyed at the cost (due to the exorbitant shipping :mad:) but love the product:love055. As I posted earlier, I enjoy finishing off my shave with witch hazel and the variety that Thayers offers makes it, dare I say, fun. I particularly like the cucumber and the peach. The former is alcohol-free while the peach contains alcohol. This is a great finishing touch to a close shave.

10. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I see you're in San Diego. Next time you need some check whole/natural food stores and GNC type stores. They generally carry one or more flavors of Thayers. Save you s/h.

11. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Thayer's also has an after shave product that is good stuff too. I have the Thayer's WH in rose and lavender too. Big bottles, it works, and worth the 9.75.

12. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Ah, the cost

Thanks, Eagle. I had already spotted some of the Thayers full size bottles in just the type of places you suggest. However, I wanted to to see which scent I'd like and how I'd like WH with no alcohol in the mix. Considering that just one full size bottle is more than $9.00 I thought the sampler pack might be a good idea. The trouble is, I think I like them all. :ashamed001