How were you introduced to wet shaving?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by castrobabble, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Lucky Gagin

Lucky Gagin Member

My grandfather gave me an electric razor, but that was before I ever had to shave regularly. By the time I did, the electric had been lost, so I chose the Sensor and a can of goo. When my father found out that I wasn't using (his father's) electric, he warned me in in his own well-meaning way that they would be rivers of blood if I wasn't careful. Fast forward several years, and I found an old-timey barber shop that still gave neck shaves with a straight razor, which became my favorite part of the experience. DE shaving started when I began to shave my head, and realized I would burn through even more cartridges and more money that way. I haven't become bold enough to head shave with a DE yet, but give me time!

Kizurra likes this.
  2. Lakebound

Lakebound Well-Known Member

My lengthy story of how I was introduced to wet shaving at the age of 47.

I suppose that I am a purist when it comes to things in my life. I try to use original parts to repair and maintain things around the house and when dealing with machines. Even though most who know me would argue, I now appreciate the art of "slowing down" and doing things with meaning, thought and purpose. And so, this past June my adult son asked me what I wanted for Father's Day and without hesitation I asked for at first, a straight razor and accessories.

What my only boy gave me was not the things I asked for but, much better. He purchased for me, a new Merkur long handle safety razor and the accessories that make for a real novice wet shaving set to include the Pinaud Styptic pencil that I have yet to use on myself. But, I want to share with you things that have nothing to do with the equipment because many more people who populate these forum discussions are far better qualified to share their expertise than I could ever be. I want to talk about the immediate flood of memories that came to me when I began discovering what wet shaving has been and is today.

For me, it was the exposure to those things that I had taken for granted as a boy growing up. The smell of the after shave and tonics that my Father and Uncles used. The visions of those Gillette Adjustables and other TTO's that lay on the sink in my childhood home probably now castaways in junk piles, recycled into something else or perhaps have been re-purposed in an antique shop. Being here and now enjoying the wet shaving culture also puts me back in touch with the barbershop environment that America has somehow forgotten. The smell of the talc, the tin-like sound of the radio as the ball games were broadcast on a hot summer day as we all waited our turn to sit in the chair to receive our Summer time issued buzz cut. Or,the gum ball machines that for some reason at our small neighborhood shop only contained the green gum balls. I also recall now how I wondered what those long leather straps were and how something made of shiny steel could be made sharp by simply moving the blade along it's tanned leather skin. My brothers and I also marvelled at the different colors and scents of the bottles of tonics and aftershaves like Bay Rum or Clubman. To this day, I am reminded of those memories anytime I get a whiff of Clubman talc on my neck or a splash of Clubman on the face.

But along with the sights and smells and sounds comes the memory of dealing with grown men who spoke directly and honestly with you and with other men about life. They were strong men who worked hard to scratch and bring home money for the family. And yet, they were allowed to indulge themselves in hot lather shaves, a nice and short "smart looking" haircut that real men wore. Sure, at times they could use harsh words or profanity but never around children and ladies. Instead, they remained strong and most times silent on most matters. But, when they spoke it meant something. Oh sure, some may have used profanity and harsh words at times I suppose but like all gentlemen, those were rare occasions and were reserved for the workplace or card games. I never really can tell for certain because my Father or Uncles never used those words in my presence.

These were the guys who realized the importance of their private time and looked forward to indulging themselves in a simple pleasure of shaving. So I ask myself what happened? Why the cartridges and the five blades? Why the disposables and the fascination with beauty parlors instead of doing things the way that "Dad did it"? I believe that because their lives were so busy doing for others, they must have wanted to take time for themselves to take care of a basic need to look and smell like a Man.

And I admit like most would that advances in shaving have their place. We enjoy sharper, longer lasting blades. Modern chemistry has given us better soaps, creams, oils and post shave treatments. And of course, the components that make up the razor have advantages as well. For me however, convenience and speed are not always the best way to do things that are personal and important.

One thing is for certain, we all love the art of wet shaving no matter if we use the single edge, double edge safety blades or, the straights. For me, it is about restoring and reliving not just the use of equipment and procedures but rather, the restoration of memories from my youth. My love for wet shaving as a novice is a selfish one as I grow older. I want to remember those simple things that I took for granted then and desire to cling to now.

If I could have my Father’s collection of TTO’s or my Grandfather’s straight razor right now, I would feel so very fortunate. Instead, as a novice with very little experience I find myself on the hunt to rescue and recruit old safety razors placing them back into service. Admittedly, I have even discovered a new found respect for things and people who have gone before me. I now look for brushes to re-knot and to bring back to life.

So in retrospect, when my son did not give me exactly what I asked for in a straight razor, he has given me so much more of what I needed in getting me started down the path back to my childhood. Back to the days when Men took their time to do things for themselves. My son doesn’t really know just how much he has given to me. Some day I will tell him. Or better yet, I will show him by doing for my Grandson or my Nephew what my Father did for me. I envision handing that lad a comb or perhaps a Popsicle stick and telling him that after I spread the lather on his smooth face, that he needs to join me in a shave. Just two Men, taking our time and learning once again the masculine art of patience and concentration.

And when we’re both finished, we’ll splash some of the good stuff on our faces to remind us that all things worth doing are worth doing right. A little splash behind the ears for my Grandson and a nice brisk splash for me to remind me that I am still alive and still keeping the shaving memories of my family alive as well. Maybe someday I will get that straight razor that I thought I wanted. But for now, I'm not in a hurry and it can wait.

Frank

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  3. Lakebound

Lakebound Well-Known Member

Just read this post again tonight on Christmas eve. I've come a long way since my son bought my first set up for me over two years ago. Time moves too fast.

Merry Christmas.

Frank

4. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

Yes it does do that lol. I'm still getting great shaves using the same stuff I've had over two years ago. I'm on a mission to use up all of my soaps and creams before I buy more....merry Christmas

Kizurra and Lakebound like this.
  5. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

I just read this post,Awesome!! Its exactly how I feel !!, Merry Christmas

RyX, Kizurra and Lakebound like this.
  6. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I was on another shaving forum when I discovered Oscar Wilde.

Lexicon Devil and Kizurra like this.
  7. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I was tired of using electrical trimmers and having a stubble all the time plus it irritates my girlfriends skin. It would look like I have just slapped her in the face when I had just kissed her =P

Fusion cartridges would tear up my face so I started googling and found The Shave Den and I found Geofatboy. And the journey had begun =P

Plus after a while my girlfriend got tired of hearing me talk about shaving hahaha

Slow Joe, Kizurra and ilts like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I cannot remember when I first heard about the resurgence in wet (mainly DE) shaving...probably some news blurb somewhere...but even though I shaved, I know I didn't think much about shaving at that point. It was a bloody chore. I also never noticed razors when I was out at antique malls and fleas...just wasn't looking for them at that point. So the whole thing really didn't register.

One day, a Gem flathead showed up in the case at Goodwill. My disposable green Schick razors had been giving me years of miserable shaves so, remembering the news I'd heard, I figured I had nothing to lose. Bought the razor, picked up some store brand blades. The result was about as bad as usual, leading me to think I'd wasted my money and this was all a hyped-up scam.

Luckily, I had also begun reading testimonials about technique, as well as more face-friendly old razors that could be had. Lots of guys were saying this was for real. So I kept at it. Once I tried a DE (I wish I could now remember which it was but something tells me it was a Lady Gillette), that was it.

EDIT: Now, with time and experience, I have learned that Technique is King. So I could shift back to disposables and get the exact same quality shaves.

But I don't wanna.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  9. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

It's all there was in the '50s unless you were rich enough for an electric and not only were they more expensive in dollars of the day but worse by far than what's available today.

Kizurra likes this.
  10. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Don't rightly remember, but I've used everything (short of a cut-throat) from single-blade throw-aways to a 6-year-old ladies' Venus (which I just tossed a few months ago...amazing how long those things will last). I remember watching my old man, with his can of goop and a black-handled Gillette adjustable, when I was a kid. He died in '81, so I reckon that's when I first started, as I had inherited his razor. Electrics were a nightmare...more ripping the whiskers out than cutting them off. I have an old brush I brought to Austin with me, when I ran away from home in 2003, so I must have been using it for a while before that (along with the black-handled Gillette). I switched to the '65 G-Slim 6, 7, 8 years ago or so (I disremember exactly when), with the brush steadily losing its hair. I think I started taking it seriously when the last blades I bought from HEB's were those wretched van der Hagens. "Wow!" thinks I. "Ice tempered! Made in Germany! They gotta be good!" I may as well been scraping my face with a hacksaw blade. Weepers & nicks galore. Gotta be a better way. The rest, as they say, is history.

Kizurra likes this.
  11. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

My father taught me to shave with a Double Edge razor, He started out with a straight that his father gave him but switched over to a Single Edge , then to the Double after he married Mom.
    After earning my first paycheck at a local grocery store, bagging and making deliveries, Dad brought me to the drug store and i bought my first razor, a Gillette Slim. Adding up the razor, soap, extra blades, brush and aftershave (Mom gave me one of her white coffee mugs) It was under $5. I was so proud having my shaving gear next to my Dads, seemed like a right of passage from a boy to a man.

12. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

You guys have some really cool stories here. I especially like the ones where some of you got into it because of your dad or grandfather.

My story is very similar to this. Last year around October or so, I found myself finally fed up with the high cost of a decent cartridge razor—decent by cartridge razor standards—or using the cheaper store brand cartridge razors, which I find to be just awful. So I did a Google search for the Dollar Shave Club and along with a link to that, there was also a link to the Wet Shave Club. When I saw this, I thought to myself "WTF is the Wet Shave Club?" I took a quick glance at it and decided to do more research on wet shaving. Well, one thing led to another, and I decided to make the transition to the wet shave.

The first thing I did was I purchased the VDH starter kit with a badger hair brush, their VDH Deluxe Soap, and a ceramic soap bowl. (This was around mid November.) For a while, I was still shaving with a cartridge razor, but lathering up with the VDH soap. Even with the crummy cartridge razor, I found my shaving experience had improved quite a bit—but I still wanted a DE safety razor!

The next thing I did was I searched for wet shave forums and found this one. I was a bit of a lurker for a couple of weeks. But after lurking for a couple of weeks, I saw that this was a really good community. No one is trolling other members. Everyone here is friendly and always willing to help others. So I finally decided to join TSD, and I'm so glad I did. In the short time I've been here, I've received a lot of help, which has made this journey into the life of a wet shaver a lot easier for me. Thanks, you guys!

Yesterday, my 1959 Gillette Ball End Tech arrived. I still didn't have any DE blades, though. So I went out (to the same store where I got the VDH starter kit) and purchased a five-pack of Wilkinson Sword Classics. My first shave with a DE razor was yesterday, and I can say that barring extenuating circumstances, I will never use a cartridge razor again. And I can say the same for that stuff in a can. In fact, earlier today, I gave my remaining unused cartridge razors and what was left of my shaving cream in a can to one of my friends.

I love the wet shave, and I'm never looking back! It's soap or good cream (not from an aerosol can), and a DE razor for me from here on out. The only downsides to this are that I have to wait so long between shaves—my beard and mustache aren't very thick, and they grow very slow—and I now have the dreaded RAD (and all other ADs associated with the wet shave).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    178-bplatoon likes this.
  13. ejmolitor37

ejmolitor37 Member

I started because I dreaded shaving and finally got to where I would shave like once a month and I looked like a hobo! Finally I had enough and had always wanted to try a straight razor so I went for it. I now love shaving and have even gotten into DE razors as well. I have not looked back and the last time I used a cartridge was months ago. Now wet shaving is my time to pamper myself and it is my time so I enjoy the Hell out of it. Now trying to convert my wife :D

BeShaved and TheManWithNoName like this.
  14. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

I had always shaved with a electric razor and a disposable razor until 2-yrs ago when i happened into a local thrift store and came across a vintage gillette SA black beauty ..brought it home and cleaned it up and decided to try it out and was amazed of the results .. been hooked on DE razors since

15. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

It was all thanks to Amazon. I just couldn't afford the Gillette cartridges any more. Also the shaves were terrible. The cartridges are meant to last a month but the reality is 1 week of good shaves and 3 weeks of agony.
    I went on Amazon in search of a cheaper cartridge razor and stumbled across safety razor. I was hooked as soon as I saw one. Thank you Amazon

16. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

I think it started because I feel that I can't afford Mach 3 cartridges any longer.
    I searched forums and found TSD and some others.

Started to switch to DE safety razor this week.
    Arief

RyX, TheManWithNoName and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Buckles

Buckles New Member

I was introduced a few years back by fireman friend. I bought a one touch razor, it was an OK experience which didn't last. I am a full time pastor, and one of my congregation members has encouraged me to start back. He showed me his collections. He gave me a black beauty, Lord cream, and razor rock. It's been no holds bar ever since. I have enjoyed it so much, I just purchased a 1948 Gillette Aristocrat gold plated. I'm hooked!!!!!

TheManWithNoName likes this.
  18. KCphotog

KCphotog Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I was given my great grandfathers W.L. Buck Co. Pioneer straight razor. Being a tinkerer I decided to restore it. I got it looking all beautiful but wasnt able to hone it until recently. But it got the ball rolling for me to start searching for wet shave items and I came across a Gillette Slim Adjustable, got some vander haagen and that was my only setup for over a year. Around Halloween or so last year I finally started branching out to other soaps and razors and such. I have now restored several straights, made brushes, shave with straights as well as DE's and loving it all!

Here is that razor of my great grandfathers.

As I got it.
    [​IMG]

now...
    [​IMG]

19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I grew up in a Schick household between DC and Baltimore watching my Dad shave....When I was old enough he gave me a Schick Injector and I started shaving like my Pop...When the Trac II made the scene I was right on it and went down that slippery slope, Atra, Mach 3...

Many years later, like maybe 5 years ago, I'm traveling alot, and find myself living on the Mediterranean in Southside Turkey, and Mach 3 blades were costing an arm and a leg. So I checked the internet out for a cheap way to order blades on-line when I stumbled across one of Corey Greenberg's essays on the perfect shave...

Man, I had no idea that they still made DE blades and Injector Blades. So I also have no idea how to buy them, so I goggle it and the very first link I click on was here at the Shave Den, and I lurked into a conversation between @crackstar and @Dridecker /Bill....I fell out, those guys were a riot...I was literally laughing out loud....and Jeff said something praising the Ming-Shi Razor.

So I turned off the PC and went downtown to the local Barber Depot in Alanya Turkey and right there I saw a Ming-Shi razor and Perma-Sharp Super blades, which are still my favorite DE blade. I scored and raced back home and got the best shave I had had in many decades...whew...

Next day I'm back here at the den checking out my favorite editorial writter Crackstar/Jeff...Soon I joined and the rest is history.....Never looked back from that very day....ha,ha...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    crackstar likes this.
  20. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I have 2 grown sons. In 2013, the oldest (at the time 22) was hinting that he wanted to shave with a straight razor. I, being the cautious dad, ended up buying him a Merkur 23 setup with a VDH cup, brush and soap and did the same for the other son (18 at the time) but his set had Omega soap and an Omega boar. Second son hated the scent of the Omega soap, so I ran off to Walgreens and found a VDH set and got that for him. He grabbed out the soap and I took the Omega soap and tried it with the Wilkerson disposable I was using. That first lathering was a revelation for me. Within a week I had a Gillette SS Flare tip and some grocery store blades. Those first few DE shaves opened my eyes to a better way. I'd kept a full beard or goatee since around 1984 but the amount of white in it seemed to make me look like Santa Claus, but shaving really was a hated chore but DE shaving made it into a different experience. Soon enough I was down to only a mustache and have pretty much kept it that way since. TSD has been my go to source for information and fun.