How were you introduced to wet shaving?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by castrobabble, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

That's what got me going.... then of course the interweb sealed the deal. Now I have a collection of razors and stuff but I'm not a collector at heart. So I have to unload quite a few things this year and just keep what works. Hopefully.

2. Crowne & Crane

Crowne & Crane Well-Known Member

I started shaving in 1965 with a Gillette razor my dad gave me. In 1967 I bought my first razor using my own money. That was a Gillette slim. In college, a friend shaved with a straight razor. I expressed interest and he gave me a razor and showed me how to use it. The rest, as they say, is history.

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

A guy on a watch forum posted photos of his cool-looking Ikon DE razor and commented on his great shaves. I remembered my Dad shaving with a Gillette DE and me fooling around with it when he wasn't around. I also remembered using his Trac II a few years later to mow down my peach fuzz about once a week. I stumbled across a shaving forum in 2012, then a hundred or so YouTube videos, and...

1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  4. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

My Dad shaved with a Gillette Executive. Great memories. I started with puck and brush and never liked canned goo. Used carts of various sizes most of my life. Then a few years ago I read an article on the growing popularity of traditional wet shaving in the National Post...and the rest is history. I've been saving money ever since. :rofl:

champagneinhand likes this.
  5. smittywerbenmanjensen

smittywerbenmanjensen Active Member

Funny. Same with me. Piqued my interest. Starting surfing internet and whole world of wet shaving opened up. Realized how silly it was to replace carts at $3-4 apiece every week. Purchased a Merkur 34c and away I went!

6. korbz

korbz Active Member

Google search for ways to get rid of ingrowns on the neck and shaving rash, and came across an Aussie forum about de shaving. Thought I'd give it a go and here I am a couple of years later and not as financially better off as I had planned.

PLANofMAN and champagneinhand like this.
  7. alex01

alex01 Active Member

What can I say, I got into wet shaving in the most traditional way possible, or at least that is what I like to think, my grandfather taught me when I was little and gave me a razor when I was about 14 (the age you get a national ID card in Romania). Along the way I tried cartridge razors but found that they mess my face, tried those cheap throwaway razors but those messed my face as well so here I am. No revelation, no nothing it is basically what i've been thought.

waffen, champagneinhand and RetLEO-07 like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Welcome to the Den my friend. You'll find tons of information and make some new friends. Dive on in, the water's fine!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  9. brit

brit in a box

i have been using carts since the mid eighties until around 4-5 months ago.i purchased an nos 53 gillette canadian fat handle tech in box for 30$on ebay because i buy old stuff to" man cave" my auto shop.i decided to try it out as i have used a brush and soap for a few years already.now i am hooked,and the list of stuff keeps growing.win win !!

PLANofMAN and RetLEO-07 like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

AD strikes again!

11. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Alex do you still have that razor, if so what a treasure, I wasn't so lucky I don't have my grandpas or dads, I've always wondered what my grandpa had because he was from Germany

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alex01 likes this.
  12. alex01

alex01 Active Member

I don't have it anymore, it broke years ago, but it was a 70's gillette. I also have my grandfather's, an old romanian razor frpm the comunist era and his old straight razor.

13. I never saw my dad shorn, ever. My great-grandfather had a DE that was fascinating to 5 year-old me, but shaving was not. First shave was a nightmare that ended in that single-blade disposable taking a sizable chunk off my upper lip. 25 years of multi-blades/electrics/gels/hippy dippy goos/foams and misery, I got myself set up with a straight razor. I'll survive the transition, methinks.
    Found this thread and been lurking here getting inspired , had to sign up and join the conversation, thanks!

alex01 likes this.
  14. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

A guy at work kept his shave gear in the bathroom with the shower, and I was kind of impressed with the razor, the simplicity of it. I remembered The Art of Shaving and the stores, so I just started there then browsing around the web, reading up on it, and decided to just go for it.

Pickausernamealready likes this.
  15. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I grew up with my father using an electric and my grandfather using a DE. I recall stories from dad about how he had to use a razor in the army but he never had a good experience with it. Mom was a beautician and used to tell us stories about learning to shave on balloons.

Shaving for me started early. Was it genetics or being Italian, I do not know. Mom used to give me weekly 'touch ups' as early as 10. By 12, she introduced me to shaving. With my parent's divorcing in my early shaving history, I did not have much to draw from. It was the eighties and the Sensor had come out. From there I migrated to a Norelco rotary after having enjoyed the holiday commercials. It worked better but I had sensitive skin and a reasonably thick growth and always seemed irritated. I used the electric for some time but a rotary head is just too thick to give a close shave. I then toggled between (in no particular order) Mach3, Braun microscreen, Norelco Goop shaver ( first wet electric that it deposited cream from within the razor as you shaved), Fusion and some other competitor flex blade cartridges and finally to a Panasonic 8243A microscreen. The Panasonic has given me the best shave.... so far. I could use it in the shower and with water at first and then later with shaving cream, it gave the best shave I had with the least amount of irritation and ingrown hairs. UP to this time, nothing worked that great. I recall using 2 electrics and a blade on my wedding day. Of course, I had a 5 o'clock shadow by noon. After marriage, I got the Panasonic which has slightly lengthened the smoothness.

A buddy at work this past Dec '16 asked me about electric shavers and I did some research for him to help him pick a shaver for his son. In doing so, I learned about the various creams and what not. Up to this point I had used for a very long time Edge sensitive shaving gel. It gave me a decent shave and little irritation with the cartridges and improved my Panasonic electric shaving as well. Once I read that the creams and soaps were better I set out to find a local supplier of some of the more highly recommended stuff. This led to much disappointment. All the stores had was the canned stuff. Mail order was the only way. I would normally go through a can of Edge once a month and always liked having a spare on hand. If I had to mail order, I was worried I would run out and have to return to the bad stuff. Eventually, I found Art of Shaving store and tried a medium kit. I figured the small kit would not last long enough to make an impression since I was a daily shaver. It was wonderful. Even with the Electric doing side by side tests(and my wife judging), the AoS improved my shave. This brought me to the forums and a few weeks ago I ordered the Merkur 34c HD. Last week, I was reunited with my Father's '61 Fatboy and my grandfather's '66 Slim which are in great condition and brings up all the memories and stories I have been told. I am working on technique with the 34 saving the vintage for special days when I get better at DE shaving. 3 DE shaves now and I can say I am hooked!

Frank

PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I couldn't sleep one night years ago and I saw the micro-touch commercial. I thought I'd save money. And really, since I shave my head also, I do save money. And I found a hobby I enjoy; it has been a win-win.

17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

-deleted-

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    A word of advice on your vintage razors. You should always partially open the doors before adjusting the 1-9 knob. The spring is under tension, and this releases the tension, preventing bad things from happening to that spring. Is it really necessary? The jury is out on that one, but most of us go with "better safe than sorry." I suspect it's an ingrained habit by now for most long time wet shavers. It is for me anyways.

19. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Thanks. I noticed quickly that it was easier to adjust when the doors were loose already and then found your suggestion and others on the topic. Much appreciated. I want to do all I can to keep the Fatboy and Slim working long after I am not

Thanks