How's Your Day? Archives

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Shep, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Scary thing is... we all prolly know people who would buy it, swear it works, and then be confused as to why their battery isn't lasting like it should. :rolleyes:

3. sol92258

and also why they're getting 2nd degree burns on their legs

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

no.... the 2nd degree burns are there because some techie installed some thingy for viruses that is obviosly not working properly. The IT department ruined their laptop. They made it slow and hot. D'uh!

5. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

Well, thanks to Adobe's ineptitude, the ebook reader world has potentially lost a very lucrative customer. None other than TWGW has sworn off ereading entirely because of a glitch in the Adobe DRM. She bought a book last night from the Kobo site. It was an Adobe Digital Editions ePub. The Adobe Digital Editions software has to start up to even be able to download the stinking thing. Well, she went to download the file and when ADE came up, it (like it has every time she's opened the program) asked her to activate her computer--so she typed in her adobeID and password...

"Too many activations"

So now, we have to submit a trouble ticket to Adobe and ask them to reset her activations. That will allow her to get the book, but after she logs into the program 5 or 6 times, she's just going to get locked out again.

I really despise DRM. It's stuff like this that makes honest people into pirates.

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

It makes me only go after DRM-free content. For books, I either buy paperbacks at the used book store, go to the library, or go to Project Gutenberg. Cheap and convenient any of those ways.

7. micah1_8

I'm the same way, mostly. I don't really do the library, but that's just because it takes me forty evers to finish a book, and the whole borrowing practice tends to be too tedious to make it worth my while. That said, I'm pretty much a free-reads kind of guy, manybooks and Project Gutenberg are a Godsend to my type of reading. TWGW, however, enjoys a great bit of contemporary reading. We hardly ever leave the Goodwill store without an armload of books each, but she still enjoys newer titles, too. From now on, I imagine any books she purchases will be dead-tree books. The whole situation is frustrating, because it's unnecessary, and the ebooks could be a real value, if the DRM wasn't such a hindrance.

8. sol92258

DRM = Damn Restrictive Media

9. micah1_8

10. sol92258

I don't hate cats, I'm just not a fan of having one in my house - firstly, my allergies don't like it.
    Then there's the litter and associated smells, and the complete lack of gratitude and appreciation they have for the care and feeding we provide, lack of loyalty, only wanting to be played with or petted when they want to, etc...
    they can be cute and playful and enjoyable, but dogs can do that too...and come when you call them, always ready to play, love to be petted, loyal and protective - you know, you come over to my house, what does Max do? "somebody's here, gotta defend the homestead!"
    what do the cats do?
    "somebody's here! gotta go hide, maybe they'll kill these owners and I'll have to house to myself! no more getting yelled at for peeing all over the place, no more disposing of my hairball art work, no more getting kicked by that fat hairy dude because I spilled his tea and got hair all over his freshly cleaned black dress pants....", etc.

Someone else keep the cats, I'll pet and enjoy them, THERE

11. micah1_8

Funny... my views on children are eerily similar. ;)

12. sol92258

uggh, sucky day turned suckier....

have had a headache all day, mainly sinus, but stomach is yucky, feeling kinda cold, etc.

so I go home from work early.

...either a few seconds too early, or too late

hit a dog on the way home.

I've hit squirrels and a cat before (very unintentionally, by the way, in light of previous topic of conversation), and just count it off to animals being animals, and move on. I feel bad about it, and I would've been alright, if I hadn't looked in my rearview mirror and seen it suffering.

Damn, I felt bad enough before

13. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

?

You didn't stop to help it? At least to see if it had a collar/was somoene's dog? Just left it there in the street to fend for itself?

Damn...and I thought you hated cats! Imagine if that were your dog!

14. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

for those of you who pray, please add my father Richard to your daily prayers. He has a significant blood clot in his leg- it's either two clots, one above the knee and one below, or one continuous clot. however it works out it's bad. and last night part of one of them passed and parts of it reached his lung. again, not good. so please pray for him.

wow! we're cut from the same cloth, at least regarding cats. on all counts, even. couldn't have said it better.

15. sol92258

normally, I would have. but consider the circumstances: I'm sick, very nauseated already, long country road, no way to tell which of the houses a mile away on either side would claim it, and rain.

reasons, yes; excuse, not really. like I said, the whole situation sucks majorly. but wasn't much I could do at that time (and it didn't have a collar, neither did the other two dogs behind it)

16. sol92258

will do

17. micah1_8

Being way too familiar with his commute, I can understand this. Out here in the sticks, often times dogs run in packs, and sometimes it isn't worth the personal risk. Not to mention, in that neck of the woods, folks have been shot/stabbed over far more trivial things.

Just sent one up, friend.

Not to mention if it even belonged to either of those houses. I hate it for you, man. It just sucks all around. :(

18. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

when I was in Mississippi I had to drive an hour on backroads between the two churches I had cure of.

There were a couple of times when I was in the same situation as Jim. And it being backwoods Mississippi, what Micah described was the case. Oh, and add to the situation the fact that you don't know where that dog's been, and that injured dogs bite. So you could be out in the middle of nowhere, getting shot at by the "neighbors", while fido's gnawing on your arm giving you who-knows-what.

19. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Will do, please add my mother to yours as well. I came home to a bunch of messages. Sounds like she was admitted to a hospital with pneumonia and that will postpone her carpal tunnel surgery the she badly needed.

Jim, sorry to hear about the dog. I am sure that you are upset by it and think any of us would be as well.

Micah, like said by others. I don't dislike cats, I just don't want one in my home.

20. sol92258

well, I'm feeling better, head still hurts, but not as bad as earlier. got home, took some meds, took a nap.

unfortunately, all I could see was that dang dog in my mirror.
    stuff like that don't usually bother me as much. guess I'm having an emotionally weak day.
    hate it, all around

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.