How's your day? February 2013

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Neolithium, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You mean they don't already?

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

:eek:

3. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

My day could only be better if I actually owned this!
    uploadfromtaptalk1361032272915.jpg

4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Do people even play Dungeons and Dragons anymore? I remember thirty years ago parents would sometimes blame it when their kids engaged in suicidal or criminal behavior. Based on their arguments, it seemed to me that the parents didn't have all of their dogs barking. I later found out it was just a card game, kind of like poker meets the movie Dragonslayer. Completely harmless entertainment for those into it.

5. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

sure, people still play. I would if a) I didn't have three kids and 2) if I could find an English speaking group that was in my age range. And yes, it's been one of those days.

6. lradke

Yeah...the online community is pretty active (tabletop version via internet). Im trying to get into that because I don't know anyone that plus around me....but the fact that the rules i know are from 20 years ago...I've got some studying to do. :( And as mentioned...having kids kind of prevent me too.

7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Ahhh finally relaxing at home. Had a nice dinner over at the Father in Laws; ended up for some reason being given a set of Ping golf clubs so I know what I'm doing over the summer...

macaronus likes this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Had some remodeling done yesterday- new solid wood doors & moldings, downstairs. It looks great.
    [​IMG]
    Now we have to put back all the stuff we removed from the china cabinet.

macaronus, lradke and feeltheburn like this.
  9. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

There is nothing worse than having nobody to blame but yourself.

Friday, on my way to a men's retreat, my oil pressure suddenly dropped to nothing as I felt every ounce of power drain from 4 cylinder s10. $100 in parts (that just sucks) and a few hours of work later reveal that my engine is totally shot. A new engine cost about what the truck is worth. So now I've got some decisions to make.

The worse part is, it's due to lack of maintenance. Financial problems and other distractions of life have prompted me to keep putting off changing the oil for so long that it finally broke down and wrecked the engine. I've nobody to blame but me.

Ugh.

10. richgem

Ugh, indeed Micah. Sorry to hear.

Well, I'm at least having a good day. Yeah, I have to work, but an unnecessary meeting (one which had nothing to do with me which I still had to attend) was cancelled. My boss (pointy haired?) believes in demotivation to get ya working. argh. So, any cancelled meeting is a good one.

feeltheburn likes this.
  11. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the truck Micah.

12. richgem

It wasn't a total loss; being from Texas, Micah got to put a few bullets through the engine block. So, actually, he's pretty happy at the moment.

:D

feeltheburn likes this.
  13. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I passed my L1 certification yesterday! I am now officially certifiable.. .no wait, that isn't right... No, it means that I can now launch higher power rockets. I can launch legally launch bigger rockets than I could before (provided I keep within L1 certification level and get FAA waivers). Here are the rockets that I took to the launch yesterday, my L1 was with the rocket marked 2B | ! 2B. My daughter has taken to calling the cylotron "toobie" due to the tube fins. So I took a step further and named it using layers of geekery.. For those who don't read math logic symbols, the name is "To be or not to be".

[​IMG]

2B with the first hints of flame and smoke
    [​IMG]
    2B deployed
    [​IMG]

On board video

14. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Although I don't play D&D (need more people), I do play Fluxx, Star Fluxx, Python Fluxx, Munchkin, Zombie Munchkin, Cascassonne, Elder Sign, and Killer Bunnies with my daughter. I blame Wil Wheaton and the Table Top videos on youtube

Oh wait.. shocking news.. she is 13 now! When did that happen! (other than on her birthday).

15. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Ugh indeed, Micah, sorry to hear about that. But hey, at least you did have a bright spot at DQ today... :happy097:

16. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

there's that, and being in Texas makes it easy to find another truck. I think they grow on trees down here.

Seriously, that sucks. We've been there a lot over the past year. Can't afford to buy one in better shape and can't afford to fix the one you've got. I'm sorry. :(

17. lradke

I didn't know you needed certification to launch high powered rockets...I just assumed as long as you knew what you we're doing it was ok (better look into that). Which reminds me, one time my older neo dis a night launch if at a school field by our house (I was 5 or 6) and the backfire (shoots out the cone to deploy the parachute) misfired...or something, anyway it blew the rocket up. All I can say is it was pretty awesome to see at night!! :D

As for D&D I became a beta tester for their 5.0 system. All I need to do is print out my character sheet, find my dice, then I should be good to go on easy solo campaigns. :) The beta material came with several adventures drafted up with maps n everything.

18. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

As long as you don't go beyond certain specs, you can launch whatever you want. However, as soon as your rocket is over 3.3 pounds, or you are going to break a certain altitude, or you are using a set amount of force in the motor, it becomes a licensed activity and those launches must be cleared with the FAA, which is why those launches typically take place at rocket club meetings or other gatherings. Anything that flies on an A-D motor is considered low power. E through G motors are considered mid-power. However, a lot of vendors market their E-G rockets as a high power rocket. Above an H motor and you have to have your license with you or on file with the vendor to purchase the motor. You can buy the rocket, just not the motor. And it is possible to buy a rocket intended for a high power system and if it is light enough, launch it on a mid-power motor. Level 1 unlocks H & I motors, Level 2 unlocks J & K, Level 3 unlocks the rest

when the engine just blows the rocket apart (CATO), it can be rather impressive. We had a rocket shoot a fire ball out of the top of the cone while it sat on the pad this last weekend. It looks awesome, until you remember that the rocket was built by a young kid who may not feel it is that awesome. It looks like there was a big CATO last weekend at another launch in the area. In this case it was an L3 person with a large home made/mixed engine (something you have to do when you get beyond the commercial engine sizes), and that did structural damage to the launch pads, and the big rockets don't just use a little 3/16 rod.

lradke likes this.
  19. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Long story short I am waiting for the plumber to get here to fix my Uni room ceiling which has a hole with water dripping out of it. Had the exact same thing happen last year too...I guess they didn't fix it too well. :rolleyes005:

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I hope you hired a different plumber.