I am a wetshaver!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by ShowMeState1977, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Today I went to an antique mall which is nearly the size of a Wal-Mart Supercenter. (Thing huge if you're not familiar) I was rather disappointed in their selection of shaving stuff. They had a few shaving mugs, but none of them were Old Spice. I couldn't believe it! How the heck do you have a huge antique mall w/o one single Old Spice shaving mug? Their selection of DE razors was horrible. I saw one booth that had loose DE razors w/ no boxes. They had one relatively nice Gillette TTO for $7.50, but that was it.

After I left there I went to a regular mall and picked up some CO Bigelow shave cream at B&BW. I then went to the local Wal-Mart and picked up a boar hair brush. I got a PIF Gillette Tech in the mail yesterday from a member here and he also sent some blades. I didnt want to wait till the weekend to start my new wetshaving life, which was the plan, so I started tonight.

I soaked my cheap boar hair brush in a latte mug of hot water while I showered. I washed my face with my body wash. After the shower I built some lather with the CO Bigs and then hot toweled my face. My first attempt at lathering wasn't the greatest. It was too wet. I used one of the Dorco 301 blades that was sent and went to work. The first pass (WTG) wasn't too bad. I dumped out the 1st lather and started over. The second lather was much better! I did another WTG because I didn't want to do too much the first time out. I made it out with one small nick on my neck! I splashed on some AV (I love that stuff despite its naysayers!) and smiled. Now it doesnt feel liked I shaved when I rub my hand across my face, but I understand technique is what I'm after now. A BBS comes later.

I hope to pick up a badger hair brush this weekend at C&E. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in the two brushes.

I'm just happy to be apart of the Brotherhood of Wet Shavers!

2. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Congrats on your first shave! It only gets better! :happy088

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    +1

btw, is there any room for some girls in the Brotherhood? :signs083

4. By all means! I knew I should have reworded that.:ashamed001

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :D No worries.

I was just giving you a hard time. It's what I do. ;)

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Congrats, It'll only get better. While your out, pick up some better aftershave, because AV kills brain cells :D

7. That's what I hear. I don't care though.:rolleyes:

8. JayKay

Mhmmm. Yuhp. Its already killed too many. Its just a downward spiral from here *evil chuckle*

9. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

Welcome Welcome Welcome to the big nut house :happy102

10. Thanks!!!

11. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Those are some really great products to start out with. Once you get the bug you will buy some fancier things, but those will work great for you.

Lather was tricky for me at first as well, but it will soon become second nature, and you'll have a feel for how to get it just right - but the Bigelow stuff is very forgiving, so a good one to start with (although the scent killed it for me).

I usually find that a 3 pass shave gives me the best results. My first pass is WTG, my second and third passes are across the grain (i.e. 90 degrees to the grain, not against the grain), and I do some light buffing on my chin, which is always the hardest to get smooth. I have decided it is next to impossible to get BBS on my neck without scraping it raw, so I don't try, but I get pretty close everywhere else, which is what is most important to my wife!:D

Practice will make perfect. I've only been at this for a little over a year. Already I am hooked and look forward to my shave every day. Oh, and don't listen to the naysayers on Aqua Velva - wonderful stuff! I just ordered a sample of the Aqua Velva type shave soap that Joanna has made - I have been wondering if anybody would make such a product!

12. JayKay

Try face lathering. I love it. Shake your brush out decently well and than load it on a puck of soap. Than just go at it on your face. If you need more water just dip the tips into the sink and keep going. But dont start out to wet or you'll just have a huge mess.

13. I plan on getting some soap this weekend. I will give it a shot. I might even try super lather eventually.

14. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I face lather all of my soaps. I only use a bowl for lathering my creams, but I have face lathered with those as well when traveling. It is heaven if you have a great soft brush. The C&E best badger is a great brush. If you really get into soaps, though, I really like my Rooney Style 1 - nice and stiff, it really picks up the soap, but is also nice and soft (super grade).

15. I agree. C&E BBB is a great brush. It is my first and only brush, so I have no frame of reference, but it seems like the brush standard that many others are held to. I really enjoy using it and have gotten great lathers from both soaps and creams.

That said, keep this in mind... the C&E BBB has been Discontinued! As of several months ago they've stopped selling it! If you can find one, consider yourself lucky as this brush has been hunted and is growing close to extinction in the retail market. Edwin Jagger (the manufacturer who supplied C&E with the BBB) is still busy making their version of the BBB, though, so if you can't find one from C&E, you can probably get an equivalent brush from EJ.

16. JimR

JimR Active Member

Hey, I'm glad it's working out for you! I second the recommendation for face lathering. I would go so far as to recommend getting some sticks--they take some of the doubt out of getting the amount right.

Also, if the Dorco 301s are good for you, let me know--I can get you more easy peasy.

17. Ok Jim, thanks for the offer!

The second shave went a little better this evening, except I nicked a place I knew I should be careful around on my neck...oh well that happens. The lather was much better today than the other day. Still using the Dorco's. I'll use them one more time and then move to a different brand. My face feels like sand paper after the shave, but I expected that.

Still loving the AV!

18. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Welcome!

19. Tonight's shave was by far the best of the 4. I got to use my new C&E BBB for the first time and my Gold Aristocrat for the second time. I used a new Dorco 301 in the Aristocrat, tonight. I had a few more nicks and weepers because I did a bit of XTG really for the first time. By no means is my face BBS but it's closer than the first 3 wetshaves!

Tomorrow I may try the bowl of soap I got from C&E today.

20. I used up the 2 Dorco 301s that JimR so graciously donated to the cause and started using the Red Personna Platinum V he included and BOY HOWDY! That is a nice blade! I'm either getting better at lathering or the blade is better because it just glided over my skin the second pass today!

I faced lathered the C&E Nomad soap a couple of shaves and the aroma is real nice. I do however find that I like the cooling lather given by CO Bigelow better.

I'm looking forward to getting and using some other products in the near future!

:DStill loving the AV!