I am another New Guy to the Den

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Luxlover, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Luxlover

Luxlover Member

#30 10-15-2007, 03:32 PM
    Luxlover
    President of the Lather Club

Thanks for the Welcome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am new here. But I have been on B&B and SMF and "The Fedora Lounge" also Giovanni's forum.
    I have been using a DE for about two month's after 25 years of M3 and Canned goo.

I have been back and forth with "Hyperwarp" in the *Shave Cream* category on the *"King of Shaves ALS"* thread.
    I have the ALS shave cream and is is not as good as your regular shave creams. Read the thread.

I appreciate all the insight's and tips I have learned from all these forums and sources.

I would like to especially thank Michael Ham "Leisureguy" for sending me his book and for sharing his experiences with all of us.

Thank you for the greeting "Baloosh".

It seems like a nice friendly place. I look forward to many intresting exchanges.

Luxlover

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Welcome Luxlover!
    Thanks for introducing yourself, sit back and enjoy the ride!

3. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Helloo there, you can probably remember me from Giovanni's forums. I am always shooting my mouth off over there as well as here. What double edge do you use? What si the brand, make and model of that wonderful double edge that you have? Do you use soaps and/or creams? Which make and model soap and/or cream do you use. Any brush? Badger or Boar hair? Any after shave? What brand and model?

Please set yourself up in the Medicine Cabinet and the Gallery. The Medicine Cabinet is a place for you to list what you use in terms of hardware. The gallery is where you show pictures of your gear.

4. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Welcome!

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

welcome and feel free to use your first name...we are informal and friendly around here!!!

Raf

6. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

Welcome Lux.
    As we once asked in my mis-spent youth (while visiting for an extended vacation a certain country in Southeast Asia, all expenses paid, courtesy of Uncle Sam) , where are you from in the world?
    i
    I use various and sundry DEs and straights. While my first love is straights, compromise is often the order of the day.

My favorite DEs are the Gillette #58, #16, and #66 (I tend to favor the Brits)

The old stand-by is the Murker HD and Slant.

The Double Ring Rocket is also up there. I also own and enjoy a Sticky.

As far as blades, Feather, followed by Swede's.

Nice folks here, you will like it.

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Welcome to The Shave Den :eatdrink004

Have a great time!!

8. seamus402

seamus402 You don't mess with Big Slim

Welcome Luxlover - we are so glad you have joined us. You will find this place very friendly and unpretentious. I know I have.

9. Will

Will Nevermind

Welcome aboard! :cool:

10. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Welcome to The Shave Den!!

11. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Welcome to the Den. Kick back and open a cold one :p

12. JPOMP

JPOMP New Member

Welcome aboard!:D

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Luxlover!

14. Padron

Padron Active Member

Welcome to TSD!! :::cool:

15. Luxlover

Luxlover Member

Thank you all

I have been watching and reading and experimenting with various shave creams, soaps, razors, blades, etc.
    Let me start from the begining.

I discovered the B&B forum and got a so called starter set from one of there friendly members.
    It included a nearly full tube of Truefitt and Hill 1805 shave cream, a new tube of Derby Lavender shave cream, an AOS Pure badger brush, Thayers Aloe Witch Hazel, a really nice slim-adjustable, a black handle Super speed, and a new Nivea after shave balm.
    I got two very slightly used MB soaps from another friendly member.
    Green Irish Tweed and Marauders's Citrus.
    Both nice folks sent me assorted blades to start me off.
    I started using the slim at setting 3 with various blades for quite a while.
    I have since that beginning aquired a very nice 1930's Gillette NEW.
    I also was lucky enough to get a Scott Meyer Brush on Giovanni's Brush of the day. As a mater of facts the blue swirl one on the left in his photos is the exact one I wwon. Boy did it ever bloom after I used it. It is a huge brush. Very, soft, I do not know if I would call it floppy. It creates an explosion of foam from my shave creams. I have not tried it on the soaps yet. The handle is extremly comfortable and just the correct size and shape for a nice hold.

I have been happily wet shaving now for about two months. I have not had such close and comfortable shaves for many years.
    I read leisureguy's book, which he sent to me "autographed". He also sent me some blades.

So far I really like the Treet Blue steel, the Astra Superior and the
    wiilkinson Economie. I also liked a Derby I had in the beginning.
    I did not like the Merkur at all. I also tried the IP and it was nothing special.
    I am on my sseventh day with the Astra and still great shaves with no pulling. But I think I will retire it and not push my luck.
    Thjese are all three pass shaves which I really clean.
    I follow up with
    aqua Velva for that icy cold burn and feel really clean and refreshed.

I live in South Jersey near Philly. I work in Trenton, NJ. I am 59 years old.

Enough of my rant.

YYours in shaving,

Steve (Luxlover)