I change my blade every day

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Easy Going, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Easy Going

Easy Going Member

I use the Feather blades and change them every day.

Does anyone else change blades with every shave?

2. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

No and Why would you. I find that I get my Best shave on my second and third shave with the same blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weasel640, BigMike, Frijolero and 6 others like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I don't either, blades will last for a few shaves. Why spend extra money on it. Also what @cliffb599 says is true, most blades actually get better after their first shave.

4. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Then why did you switch to Wet Shaving? Try to get a few shaves a blade. Sure, Feather blades are still cheaper than carts, but they aren't cheaper if your going to change the blade after every shave. I am going to stretch my next shave with each blade as long as I can now just to see how long I can go.

Frijolero and jtface like this.
  5. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

So each of your shaves costs you 24p (UK)... I use Astra SP for 3 shaves before binning them... So each of my shaves costs around 3p... Now I know that 21p is not crazy money per shave, however over the course of a 50 year shaving career (assuming I live that long and shave every day) that amounts to...

... £3,832.50

Quite a bit of cash.

Frijolero likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've had several DE's with blades left in them and lost count of the number of uses of each blade. Now I try to only have one blade out, and move it to the next razor if I'm playing that game. Don't even try to keep count of uses, just toss em when they give less than acceptable service.

I've read this from several Feather users. Have to do an experiment keeping same all other gear to evaluate it for myself!

Do you have a favorite razor to use them in? I like them in a Fatip Piccolo, or a Gillette #195 on number nine.

Frijolero likes this.
  7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Agree 2nd and 3rd shave are better than the first when using a Feather.

Frijolero, RyX and John Beeman like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

@Easy Going, I typically use my DE blades, including Feather, for three shaves. Most blades would last me longer, but I don't want to deal with a dying blade edge to save a few pennies. Everyone is different. Do what works for you, but you might consider experimenting to see if you can get additional shaves from the same blade.

Welcome to The Shave Den!

Frijolero, RyX and Dansco like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am not a feather fan. I agree the first shave is far from the best. Your missing the best shaves!

BigMike, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  10. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I use each blade for a week. That would be three or four shaves. Then get a new one. I've found they're all good for 3 shaves, never had an issue with four, and I don't see why I would push them until one of my shaves is poor. They dont cost enough for that to be worth it.

$3500 across 50 years... honestly, that's not a big deal at all. I'll lose more money than that while on nights out.

11. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

Total nights out for myself since the beginning, I've probably spilled that much. :eatdrink047:

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I toss them after 2 shaves, do what works for you, don’t worry about others judgements. Even if I tossed my blades after 1 use it will have no impact on when I retire.

Frijolero, AGHisBBS, MacDaDad and 4 others like this.
  13. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

changing Feather blade every day? They last me 8-10 shaves per blade, Derby Premium and Super Max blades last me around 3-4 shaves but then I bought them for like $10 for 200 blades... If tossing a blade after every shave works best for you and can not get any more shaves out of the same blade, then that's a whole other story. Keep doing what works for you

Edison Carter, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  14. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I just use them until I think they aren't cutting as well, timing depends on the blades. I've got a pretty light beard though, those with heavy beards can expect to change blades more often. Do whatever you think gives you the best shave.

Frijolero, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  15. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

I use blade for a week before replacing them. If the blade can not reliably provide seven shaves, it does not become a part of my rotation. I also agree that the most comfortable shaves are the middle days of the week. The first shave is typically a bit harsh and the blade feels smoother in the middle of week.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Edison Carter, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My story is similar. I use them until I don't like their performance. Gone. 3 days Feather. 15ish days Personna 74. Plus I agree that the best shaves for a Feather are 2-3.

17. brit

brit in a box

new blade every week ,moved between razors if i change them, 3-4 shaves..

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  18. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Nearly all blades i have used are the best on the 3rd shave IMO. Usually use them until they begin to show signs of wear or start tugging, although tr amount of shaves tends to vary between brands.

19. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I would do like you if I was not too greedy. I dump my Feather blades after two shaves. I always get the best shave with a fresh blade.

First shave: Great
    Second shave: Acceptable
    Third shave: Torture

Frijolero, RyX and MacDaDad like this.
  20. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I know blades are cheap but I hate to waste anything.

RyX and Frijolero like this.